Week 3 GDT: Raiders vs. Steelers - Waitin' all day for a Sunday Night

big_palooka

6 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

This offseason We loaded up on money and that didn't work out either

That's my point. This organization has failed miserably despite the regime, money or draft picks to construct a talented roster. 

So tired of the FO turnover. When do they get it right and actually build something respectable?

10 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

Notice how in SF he also threw the ball much less. Week one was the same. The problem is that we don't have the defense to keep the score low enough to only throw that many times

Without a strong run game, the pass offense is going to struggle. Everything for Jimmy needs to set up through the run. The Oline has regressed and Jacobs still looks a step off his game. You can't rely on his arm to carry you. We already knew that coming in. We didn't expect the league leading rushing attack to go off the rails. 

58 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

So tired of the FO turnover. When do they get it right and actually build something respectable?

I get the argument that you and others have preached about consistency, continuity, etc. The problem is you’ve still got to make the correct decision in the first instance, and then allow your selection a chance to implement a culture and strategy.

If you give the job to guys who clearly aren’t ready for it or able to do it properly, you can give them as many years’ continuity as you want and are still going to fail.

I don’t like taking shots at Mark Davis because he seems to be a decent guy. He’s a fan and he cares. But the last 5/6 years are on him, from the boneheaded Gruden contract to this latest failure of a hire. He needs to do better.

eta - yet again, it feels like the fans knew better than the team. McDaniels was not a popular selection, and just about everything that those of us with reservations thought would happen has happened.

Edited by Nightmare
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

I get the argument that you and others have preached about consistency, continuity, etc. The problem is you’ve still got to make the correct decision in the first instance, and then allow your selection a chance to implement a culture and strategy.

If you give the job to guys who clearly aren’t ready for it or able to do it properly, you can give them as many years and you want and are still going to fail.

I don’t like taking shots at Mark Davis because he seems to be a decent guy. He’s a fan and he cares. But the last 5/6 years are on him, from the boneheaded Gruden contract to this latest failure of a hire. He needs to do better.

Agree. You have to have the right guy who can build that consistency and culture. Davis has not been able to find that.

I had hopes for McDaniels. There was a reason he's been on a short list of candidates for years. But he's proving a letdown. 

If there is a year to hire and let that guy pick his QB, this is it. Let a coach and rookie QB grow together. And I then throw the highest contract at a vet DC you can. They need something proven to help draft and develop on defense. 

• Like 2

Tough loss, long season though. Got to beat the chargers to get the season on track or it's a lost cause. Really just sucks that it is must-win is already here in week 4. 

Pretty stunning that an offensive-minded head coach won't go for it in Goal to go needing only 4 with an all-time WR dominating the game. Situation to tie the game when just got eight points. The upside is so much higher to go for it then to put it in this defenses hands. 

The only encouraging thing is that both sides of the ball did not give up when this game could have been a blowout. But coaching made the difference. And Marcus Peters dropping an easy pick Six absolutely transformed the game. Good teams can overcome that, we cannot afford to lose a free six when we have so many one possession losses constantly

Edited by justwinbaby81

15 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

If there is a year to hire and let that guy pick his QB, this is it. Let a coach and rookie QB grow together. And I then throw the highest contract at a vet DC you can. They need something proven to help draft and develop on defense. 

So true!

Get a new GM and a new creative offensive HC in the house, bring a good DC on board and then draft the QBotF finally and build up this team after this ****show of 20+years...

By the way, we played a Top 5 defense, so it's hard to score. Said it last week--we are not Buffalo. We are not the Niners. The season can be turned around if they locker room doesn't allow it to end already, there are a lot of winnable games coming up. I just don't know if the 9-8 ceiling does anything for the longevity of the team. So I get the negativity on the heels of a game we could have won.

37 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Without a strong run game, the pass offense is going to struggle. Everything for Jimmy needs to set up through the run. The Oline has regressed and Jacobs still looks a step off his game. You can't rely on his arm to carry you. We already knew that coming in. We didn't expect the league leading rushing attack to go off the rails. 

Some did. We couldn’t run outside of Jacobs last year who had an AP season. 
put on top of that teams know, make Jimmy beat you, and it leads to stacked boxes.

We were never the league leading rushing attack. Jacobs was the leading rusher, big difference. 

unfortunately, starting to question why JMD can’t figure out these basic concerns with our team. 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

We also need to play defense and keep the score under 20 points in order for Jimmy to "set up". And that's only happened one time this year against an opponent we've been beating for three years

45 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

That's my point. This organization has failed miserably despite the regime, money or draft picks to construct a talented roster. 

I agree with that generally but at the same time there was a coach that made that work and made the playoffs. The defense was improved to its highest number in 10 years(regardless of whatever one thought of this game). The feeling from the team was that they had just added pieces on offense(basically if the same thing happened with Davante Adams that happened last year where he didn't wanna play for the Packers and wanted to play the carr) build on their improvement on the defense & at some point get it right tackle this team could repeat their playoff performance. 

Instead, for some reason we pretended like they didn't just make the playoffs and lose on the final play to the team that went on to go to the Super Bowl. We did not give that coach a chance and instead give another guy a chance that has a proven track record of failure from a failed coaching tree without a certain player(but I have a feeling we were trying to get during the off-season). 

So while we've been bad for 20 years a closer look reveals that we were good(not great but good) two years ago we tore that down for what our owner called "bigger and better things". That's what actually happened

9 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

Do you remember when I mentioned during the off-season after the draft that McDaniels was getting all of those weapons to make sure he took care of his side of the ball to justify him being a bad play caller? I think I remember you agreed with me back then.

We spend all the money on offense. McDaniels suppose to be an offensive mastermind and he’s scared to go for it on 4th down. He didn’t want to get heat if he failed…. Smh 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Humble_Beast said:

We spend all the money on offense. McDaniels suppose to be an offensive mastermind and he’s scared to go for it on 4th down. He didn’t want to get heat if he failed…. Smh 

I don't have a better answer than that. If it was 4th and 12...OK, maybe I get the FG (and even that is debatable). 4th and 4 inside the 10 isn't really much of a thought in the decision in the situation. If we went for it and missed I don't think anyone would question the decision (maybe the play-call depending on what would happen, but not the decision to go for it).

• Like 1

QB next year no matter what. Davis needs to make sure that happens by telling the staff it's going to happen if you're here or not. If we lose next week then I want to see O'Connell and what he's got in THIS  system. If the team keeps fighting then you keep the staff and if the players give up then there is no need for another season IT'S OVER! Mark needs to listen to Brady once he's an partial owner. He knows these guys and if he says to keep them then do it but if he says to cut ties the make it so. The Vegas market needs a WINNER and I'd offer Ozzie Newsome partial ownership to become our GM. The Raiders were known to embrace former players so it's time to embrace the greats from other teams like Newsome and Brady. Basically Borg them all. lol  Forget that, I like the renegade, rejects and enjoy life rep too. Damn...Honestly I don't know how we fix this but might as well let JMD do his thing the rest of this season and see what the results are. 

On a positive note I think drafting a new QB and coach might get us as fans on the same track at least for two years but WINNING is what makes it all better.