Jimmy Garoppolo evaluated for concussion

Steelersfan43

8 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Not only that, he's been bruuuuuutal. Just a straight up bad QB. An O consisting of Adams, Meyers, Renfrow, Jacobs, rookie TE Mayer...

and we've completely regressed w/ Jimmy.

When Jimmy is no longer starting next year I think a lot of people are going to finally settle into the fact that Jimmy is just poor-man's Pennington. He's never lit up the world consistently and always played careful game manager stuff. With all the money he's made and how unproductive his career has truly been for someone who sat behind Brady for years and was handed starting jobs, the G should stand for "grifter"

TL;DR Griftoppolo.

• Like 3

On 9/29/2023 at 12:14 AM, NudeTayne said:

When Jimmy is no longer starting next year I think a lot of people are going to finally settle into the fact that Jimmy is just poor-man's Pennington. He's never lit up the world consistently and always played careful game manager stuff. With all the money he's made and how unproductive his career has truly been for someone who sat behind Brady for years and was handed starting jobs, the G should stand for "grifter"

TL;DR Griftoppolo.

This is a weird narrative. Sitting behind an all-time great doesn't gift you talent lol. Even if you train just as hard, and do all that is required. Or most of Brady's backups/successors wouldn't have been unremarkable. 

Jimmy's career has actually been pretty successful compared to the average person that even tries to make it to the pros. Like, by miles. If you don't like him as a player fine, but let's not pretend he's been some scrub that was "handed" things because he sat behind Tom Brady for a few years. He's worked as hard as anyone could ask for regardless of how it all shook out. "Grifter" doesn't really apply here simply because he wasn't as good as the most accomplished QB ever who started in front of him. 

The Jets would love to have Jimmy in the saddle right now even with his injury history. Jimmy's middle of the road play just doesn't jive well in our either/or binary-deductive reasoning society. He can never just be "average" for a a large contingent of the peanut gallery. 49ers fans gave him a lot of crap (rightfully so at times), but when he went down last year before Purdy "emerged", half the fanbase in that short period called it quits that year, and assumed the season was over despite the talent on the roster. They knew as frustrating as he was at QB sometimes, the team with that roster did have a chance to go the distance. He never tore up the league like he was paid to do after what he flashed in 2017, but the 49ers won a lot of games with him at the helm, and it was a huge sample size to the point that the "in spite of" card just didn't hold much water after a while. He's ranked 16th out of 34 thus far for qualified starters on PFF. That about lines up for his career trajectory. 

BTW the "poor-man's Pennington" label is pretty funny, because I'm honestly not sure Chad was even better than Jimmy was at max potential. And I loved Chad.

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 1

On 9/28/2023 at 12:01 PM, RaidersAreOne said:

Not only that, he's been bruuuuuutal. Just a straight up bad QB. An O consisting of Adams, Meyers, Renfrow, Jacobs, rookie TE Mayer...

and we've completely regressed w/ Jimmy.

Might’ve expected some carryover with McDaniels being there, but Carr was better in a worse system with worse weapons than Jimmy was. So no surprise that there is regression IMO.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Sitting behind an all-time great doesn't gift you talent lol.

Nobody said that, though(?). You may have inferred something you thought you read but didn't. You coming in smug out of left field with punk lols and I don't know why. You don't seem to understand what I wrote.

Even if you train just as hard, and do all that is required. 

Sitting behind the greatest QB of all time is a good thing. Don't overthink that. Bill traded him for a reason. 

Jimmy's career has actually been pretty successful compared to the average person that even tries to make it to the pros.

Again...nobody said what you think you're contradicting. Your logic here is not sound. You don't dispute that he's been way overpaid, way overrated, is not a starting QB etc. He's been a letdown everywhere he went (and yes, that includes SF). He should have never gotten paid real starter money. Teams are dumb for doing it and McDaniels is the dumbest of all. Jimmy's played like a high-end backup, period. He's had a few brief periods, but so have other high-end backups. High % passing has always been how he's grifted. But he's had no production and misses bad, plays scared, made of glass.

And yup be clear, yes, even being a backup QB in the NFL puts one in a small elite group. But so what? Nobody is saying he doesn't belong in the league at all. I said he grifted his contract values and opportunities. 

Like, by miles.

But I mean, who cares? Nobody is comparing him to people off the street. We were talking about whether or not Jimmy has grifted the league for huge money and starting jobs. Comparing him to the general populous is irrelevant.

If you don't like him as a player fine, but let's not pretend he's been some scrub that was "handed" things because he sat behind Tom Brady for a few years.

Since he left the Patriots...7th season since then...missed more than 50% of the season 3/6 seasons in SF...benefited from an offense that turns scrubs into looking like they are the real deal but only career 92/48 TD/INT and in nine+ seasons, which would be way worse if he had had to start on his first few years like many higher draft picks (what would you say if his career ratio was 100/75 like it easily could have been?).

Everyone looks good with Shanahan. They had nobodies looking legit. It's the system. Purdy immediately looked way better than Jimmy G by the eye test alone. 

Jimmy was absolutely handed everything once he left New England. He got a giant contract (for the time) without having to prove anything first. He looked bad and injured the past few years and then got another big contract. 

Take those quotes off because it happened.

He's worked as hard as anyone could ask for regardless of how it all shook out.

Neither of us know this, so let's not pretend.

The Jets would love to have Jimmy in the saddle right now even with his injury history.

They'd love to have anybody but what they got. That's not a very good point you're making. There are plenty of backups teams would prefer over Jimmy G. He's top-64 but not top-32. You're cherrypicking a team who already lost their starter. Don't be argumentative if you're also going to be disingenuous. I bet the Jets wouldn't pay Jimmy G what he got from the Raiders even if he was available right now when they need him most.

Jimmy's middle of the road play just doesn't jive well in our either/or binary-deductive reasoning society. He can never just be "average" for a a large contingent of the peanut gallery.

We actually agree there. He's just average--not an NFL starter but good enough to belong on the NFL. He distributes passes well short. He does alright in the best offensive scheme in the league. It has looked ugly in Vegas. I'm not even a little surprised. A lot of us hated that money for a subpar player. Gardner Minshew has arguably had a better career at this point. 

I'll add that people talk about average in a weird way. We hear people like Derek Carr, Kirk Cousins, Ryan Tannehill, Daniel Jones as being "league average". None of those are my favorite guys. They've all had way better careers than Jimmy G and are way better than him. He's not league-average. He's an overpaid backup. 

49ers fans gave him a lot of crap (rightfully so at times), but when he went down last year before Purdy "emerged", half the fanbase in that short period called it quits that year, and assumed the season was over despite the talent on the roster.

This is not rocket science (like in Arizona). SF fans thought they didn't have anyone else to play QB. This is not praise of Jimmy but lack of fan faith in backups. If Mahomes goes down for the year Chiefs fans will say the season is likely over. "BuT tHaY hAvE a gUd rOsTer". There's those quotes put to better use 😇.

He never tore up the league like he was paid to do after what he flashed in 2017,

This is all you could have written and it would have been a good take on its own.  He had one good season and one pretty good one. This is his tenth season. 

but the 49ers won a lot of games with him at the helm,

Correlation meet causation 

and it was a huge sample size to the point that the "in spite of" card just didn't hold much water after a while. 

He legit missed tons of games, often looked incredibly inaccurate, doesn't take risks and never has, pads his stats with wide open throws that are schemed open, also was not dependable and always injured, also injured, and he also wasn't healthy. You're making up a huge sample size just because it was a lot of years and feels a way in memory, but the data is right there. 

I'm from the Bay Area. Unfortunately, some of my best friends are Niner fans. Plenty like Jimmy (IMO because pants tingles) and many wanted him gone after 2019 or so. Remember when they traded away everything to take a shot on a pure projection? That "sample size" was so good that they tried to get rid of him years ago but Lance sucked. 

BTW the "poor-man's Pennington" label is pretty funny, because I'm honestly not sure Chad was even better than Jimmy was at max potential. And I loved Chad.

It's hard to compare stats from different times, so I'll adjust my statement to just being, "Jimmy G is Chad Pennington".

All that said, I'm rooting for the guy to do well in Vegas. I don't think he will, but I hope last year wasn't a total fluke. 🤷

Edited by NudeTayne

4 hours ago, NudeTayne said:

Nobody said that, though(?). You may have inferred something you thought you read but didn't. You coming in smug out of left field with punk lols and I don't know why. You don't seem to understand what I wrote.

Sitting behind the greatest QB of all time is a good thing. Don't overthink that. Bill traded him for a reason. 

Again...nobody said what you think you're contradicting. Your logic here is not sound. You don't dispute that he's been way overpaid, way overrated, is not a starting QB etc. He's been a letdown everywhere he went (and yes, that includes SF). He should have never gotten paid real starter money. Teams are dumb for doing it and McDaniels is the dumbest of all. Jimmy's played like a high-end backup, period. He's had a few brief periods, but so have other high-end backups. High % passing has always been how he's grifted. But he's had no production and misses bad, plays scared, made of glass.

And yup be clear, yes, even being a backup QB in the NFL puts one in a small elite group. But so what? Nobody is saying he doesn't belong in the league at all. I said he grifted his contract values and opportunities. 

But I mean, who cares? Nobody is comparing him to people off the street. We were talking about whether or not Jimmy has grifted the league for huge money and starting jobs. Comparing him to the general populous is irrelevant.

Since he left the Patriots...7th season since then...missed more than 50% of the season 3/6 seasons in SF...benefited from an offense that turns scrubs into looking like they are the real deal but only career 92/48 TD/INT and in nine+ seasons, which would be way worse if he had had to start on his first few years like many higher draft picks (what would you say if his career ratio was 100/75 like it easily could have been?).

Everyone looks good with Shanahan. They had nobodies looking legit. It's the system. Purdy immediately looked way better than Jimmy G by the eye test alone. 

Jimmy was absolutely handed everything once he left New England. He got a giant contract (for the time) without having to prove anything first. He looked bad and injured the past few years and then got another big contract. 

Take those quotes off because it happened.

Neither of us know this, so let's not pretend.

They'd love to have anybody but what they got. That's not a very good point you're making. There are plenty of backups teams would prefer over Jimmy G. He's top-64 but not top-32. You're cherrypicking a team who already lost their starter. Don't be argumentative if you're also going to be disingenuous. I bet the Jets wouldn't pay Jimmy G what he got from the Raiders even if he was available right now when they need him most.

We actually agree there. He's just average--not an NFL starter but good enough to belong on the NFL. He distributes passes well short. He does alright in the best offensive scheme in the league. It has looked ugly in Vegas. I'm not even a little surprised. A lot of us hated that money for a subpar player. Gardner Minshew has arguably had a better career at this point. 

I'll add that people talk about average in a weird way. We hear people like Derek Carr, Kirk Cousins, Ryan Tannehill, Daniel Jones as being "league average". None of those are my favorite guys. They've all had way better careers than Jimmy G and are way better than him. He's not league-average. He's an overpaid backup. 

This is not rocket science (like in Arizona). SF fans thought they didn't have anyone else to play QB. This is not praise of Jimmy but lack of fan faith in backups. If Mahomes goes down for the year Chiefs fans will say the season is likely over. "BuT tHaY hAvE a gUd rOsTer". There's those quotes put to better use 😇.

This is all you could have written and it would have been a good take on its own.  He had one good season and one pretty good one. This is his tenth season. 

Correlation meet causation 

He legit missed tons of games, often looked incredibly inaccurate, doesn't take risks and never has, pads his stats with wide open throws that are schemed open, also was not dependable and always injured, also injured, and he also wasn't healthy. You're making up a huge sample size just because it was a lot of years and feels a way in memory, but the data is right there. 

I'm from the Bay Area. Unfortunately, some of my best friends are Niner fans. Plenty like Jimmy (IMO because pants tingles) and many wanted him gone after 2019 or so. Remember when they traded away everything to take a shot on a pure projection? That "sample size" was so good that they tried to get rid of him years ago but Lance sucked. 

It's hard to compare stats from different times, so I'll adjust my statement to just being, "Jimmy G is Chad Pennington".

All that said, I'm rooting for the guy to do well in Vegas. I don't think he will, but I hope last year wasn't a total fluke. 🤷

I mean you said he was a grifter. But yeah you sound like you're really rooting for the guy. :)

Anyway, that label is pretty nutty all things considered, and just paints a dishonest narrative. Jimmy didn't swindle anyone out of anything, which is what that word entails. Shanahan, the guy who overpays for everybody (as he's said himself) didn't have to go after him or offer him that deal along with Lynch. Nor is anything guaranteed in terms of success. Being a backup to Brady has nothing to do with anything. 

Bill traded him, because as he legit said at the podium during his presser of the trade, he had to due to how the league rules were set up. He didn't want to. Bill essentially waited until the 12th hour to deal Jimmy. 

BTW according to the statements of all his teammates (and his ringing endorsement by Bill when he was dealt), Jimmy worked very hard each, and every day. Was I there? No. Were you? No. But every one of his teammates went to bat for him publicly in terms of his work ethic (even when they weren't asked about it), and passed that notion the entire time he was there. Maybe they all got together, and lied though for years which seems harder to believe, but whatever. By that statement alone, I can tell you weren't plugged in 49ers media land during the Jimmy G saga the majority of it's time. I don't have to pretend anything, it happened buddy. Like this isn't even legit debatable, and we didn't have to be there to know it happened. You're being purposefully ignorant and obtuse here. 

And no they didn't have nobodies looking legit in Shanahan's system. This is fiction. Beathard, Hoyer, and Mullens looked hideous it wasn't even close. Like, at all. Jimmy for a minute played with that same bum roster, and looked lightyears ahead. 

You're from the Bay Area. I am too. Cool, but irrelevant. You've already proven you don't know what you're talking about with some of the remarks in this topic regardless of you're perspective on it. I don't see myself getting argumentative, as much as you're getting hot, and bothered with what I had to say on the issue in response. 

Proceed to once again to spam the "I didn't say that/you inferred wrong" card which always feels like a cop out in debates like this these, or carefully cherry-pick, and snip my summation sentence by sentence instead of addressing the big picture in a coherent response. Maybe you'll groan about a strawman here or there (yawn). Gonna go enjoy the weekend myself, and not waste it debating Jimmy G any further, but knock yourself out. We'll just have to agree to disagree on how we look at Jimmy's career up to this point. Had enough looney takes on Jimmy for a lifetime to keep going back, and forth. Cheers. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

On 9/28/2023 at 9:14 AM, NudeTayne said:

TL;DR Griftoppolo.

This 'G' approves. lol

Many Raider fans here felt we overpaid. Not unexpected when you fumble getting any compensation for your QB (Carr) you know an overpay to get 'your guy' is going to happen. At least Denver got something for Cutler. Jimmy is a dink and dunk, small ball QB who is good enough if he has a talented Defense to help out. Raider are probably bottom 5 maybe bottom 3 defense so...This is all expected. I'd like to see AOC in McDaniel's system as he seems to be a good fit and Hoyer is a top 5 pick in 2024 and no need to watch any games this year. O'Connell showed enough in pre-season to get a shot now because next year I want a top rookie QB competing with him and Jimmy G no matter who the coach is. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Steelersfan43 said:

LET'S GO AIDAN!!!

If you save McDaniel's and Zigs jobs I'm good with another year to let them prove themselves. Crosby was a 4th rounder so Maxx out your potiential. If not you'll be facing a top pick QB next year and a new system. No pressure Farva. lol Either way, enjoy your 1st NFL start.

• Like 1