Dame traded to Milwaukee

sdrawkcab321

18 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

The Blazers turning down that Miami offer is malpractice and that it was done purely for punitive reasons and to begin the owners pushback to crush "player power" is genuinely absurd and if I were a Blazers fan I'd be so pissed. 

https://x.com/thedunkcentral/status/1707396092365574233

I'd rather have the offer they got than that Miami offer.  They still have Jrue to flip for more assets.  Those Milwaukee picks have a chance to be pretty valuable, too.  You never know with Miami, because they can always draw free agents.  I'd take that chance before what looks like a bunch of late 1sts and Herro+Jovic.  

Edited by OkeyDoke21
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, 11sanchez11 said:

This dude played with Lillard his entire career and has a 54 TS% for his career. The only other player in the lg besides Curry where teams will double team him from 30 feet and let the rest of the team play 4 on 3. For reference the worst offense in the lg last year had a 55 TS%.

Two years ago he gave up the highest fg% at the rim on defense. 

The best part about the trade is he most likely won't be a closer and they will play small. 

Analytics don’t account for a player who’s got loser energy that everyone was sick of babysitting.  The took a talent hit but won’t miss him. 

4 hours ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

The Blazers turning down that Miami offer is malpractice and that it was done purely for punitive reasons and to begin the owners pushback to crush "player power" is genuinely absurd and if I were a Blazers fan I'd be so pissed. 

That's really not some crazy better offer. Not even sure it's better at all.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

That's really not some crazy better offer. Not even sure it's better at all.

I'm pretty sure that wasn't even close to what Miami was offering. I thought the most recent reports were Herro (being re-routed to a 3rd team) and a SINGLE FRP was what was being offered.  That's what Miami COULD offer.  Not what they did.

16 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

I mean, for Portland I'd rather have Ayton than Herro.  They don't need Herro. That 2029 Bucks pick is probably more valuable than any of those Miami picks. They're going to be able to flip Jrue for more assets too.  I would take the Bucks offer over the Miami offer. 

edit - I also think Portland was desperate to dump the Nurkic contract and the Suns were willing to bail them out on that in the Bucks offer. 

They would've had Ayton anyway, so that's a moot point. Just swap the Bucks out for the Heat in the 3 way, and I'd bet a 23 year old 20PPG guy on a decent contract is worth more of a return than a 33 year old in Jrue on a larger one. 

16 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Those picks are liable to be nothing. What were the protections? What years? Herro and Jovic are nothing burgers for Dame. 

LIS yesterday, that 2029 unprotected 1st from Milwaukee and the 2030 pick swap could be very fruitful. Miami will always be a destination for NBA players, Milwaukee won't. Don't think Portland missed out on anything there.

I don't really think it's fair to say the MIL pick has a better chance at being something special than the 3 MIA ones. Both teams will be older and that's 6 years away we're talking. Anything can happen by then, and we're talking 3 to 1. Also, MIA isn't the destination everyone makes it out to be anymore. What star NBA players aside of Jimmy and Dame (which failed) have actually chosen MIA recently? 

If that was indeed the offer, Blazers are crazy. That being said, that's the first I've heard of that large of one. 

3 hours ago, JonStark said:

They would've had Ayton anyway, so that's a moot point. Just swap the Bucks out for the Heat in the 3 way, and I'd bet a 23 year old 20PPG guy on a decent contract is worth more of a return than a 33 year old in Jrue on a larger one. 

I don't think Herro has a lot of trade value. He's too expensive for what he does, and he struggled to even gain a starting role with the Heat. He has 4 years remaining on his contract ranging from $27 to $33 mil, I wouldn't call that a decent contract. The problem with him is that no contender is going to want to pay a 23 year old that kind of money to be a 6th man, 3rd or 4th option type of player, and he doesn't contribute much more to a team than scoring/shooting. Most contenders are looking for role players who 3&D around their stars, Herro isn't that. So he will likely have to go to a rebuilding team and they aren't going to give up significant assets for a player making that kind of money. I don't really see a trade market for Herro being out there. 

Jrue Holiday on the other hand, there are probably 5-6 contenders who will all bid against each other for him. He's a veteran who plays high end defense and fits well as a 3rd best player on a contender. I think the Blazers will get significantly more offers for Holiday than they would have for Herro. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I don't think Herro has a lot of trade value. He's too expensive for what he does, and he struggled to even gain a starting role with the Heat. He has 4 years remaining on his contract ranging from $27 to $33 mil, I wouldn't call that a decent contract. The problem with him is that no contender is going to want to pay a 23 year old that kind of money to be a 6th man, 3rd or 4th option type of player, and he doesn't contribute much more to a team than scoring/shooting. Most contenders are looking for role players who 3&D around their stars, Herro isn't that. So he will likely have to go to a rebuilding team and they aren't going to give up significant assets for a player making that kind of money. I don't really see a trade market for Herro being out there. 

Jrue Holiday on the other hand, there are probably 5-6 contenders who will all bid against each other for him. He's a veteran who plays high end defense and fits well as a 3rd best player on a contender. I think the Blazers will get significantly more offers for Holiday than they would have for Herro. 

That's fair. I still disagree because of the large age gap and think Herro is still improving but until we see what they get for Jrue, there's no real evaluating the deal as a whole.

3 hours ago, JonStark said:

I don't really think it's fair to say the MIL pick has a better chance at being something special than the 3 MIA ones. Both teams will be older and that's 6 years away we're talking. Anything can happen by then, and we're talking 3 to 1. Also, MIA isn't the destination everyone makes it out to be anymore. What star NBA players aside of Jimmy and Dame (which failed) have actually chosen MIA recently? 

Which NBA player in history has chosen Milwaukee as a UFA, not even recent memory? And there was no way for Miami to get to 3 1sts so that report isn't accurate. It would've been re-routing Herro to someone like Utah for additional picks and then sending them to Portland, not Herro AND 3 1sts. 

12 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Which NBA player in history has chosen Milwaukee as a UFA, not even recent memory? And there was no way for Miami to get to 3 1sts so that report isn't accurate. It would've been re-routing Herro to someone like Utah for additional picks and then sending them to Portland, not Herro AND 3 1sts. 

What does Milwaukee have to do with my question? You said MIA was a destination for FA to go but it hasn't been recently, so there's nothing logical to say the MIL pick would be better than MIA's multiple ones. 

However if that report is false then it's possible MIL's was better. We still don't know what the actual offers were, what Jrue will fetch, or what Herro would have so it's impossible to really tell. My comment was saying that if that offer was on the table, POR was crazy for choosing the other one. 

1 hour ago, JonStark said:

What does Milwaukee have to do with my question? You said MIA was a destination for FA to go but it hasn't been recently, so there's nothing logical to say the MIL pick would be better than MIA's multiple ones. 

We're comparing two packages between two franchises. One that has brought in, in the last ~15 seasons, LeBron James and Jimmy Butler while the other has brought in *checks notes* Greg Monroe. When you're comparing potential draft picks 6 years down the line, being a UFA destination (and South Beach is) that's going to weigh heavily on talks. 

The package that Portland got, regardless of what they get for Jrue at this point, is better than whatever Miami offered otherwise Damian Lillard would be a Miami Heat. 

Edited by beekay414
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/28/2023 at 1:59 PM, Thelonebillsfan said:

It's like the Donovan Mitchell situation all over again. One big market team gets cocky and a small market team offers a better package.