In Flores We Trust - How Good Can This Defense Be?

cconocool

23 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

I wouldn't! I'd rather go with an unknown like Slowik or Johnson than go with McCarthy.

Especially if you have to invest in a top of the line massage table and full-time masseuse. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

Maybe in 1995. 

With how safeties are used in today’s game, it isn’t a big deal at all. 

Ravens Smith and Queen
Chiefs Reid  (Bolton hurt and Gay hurt)
49ers Warner and Greenlaw 
Bills Benard (Milano hurt)
Cowboys Clark (Vander Esch hurt)

The top scoring defenses in the NFL the only team that did not have a LB lead them in tackles was the Chiefs and that was because Bolton and Gay were hurt on and off most of the season.  And the Bills/Cowboys had backup linebackers in for super star linebackers and they still lead the teams in tackles.

So there is the reality of if your safety is making tons of tackles that is because the offense got through everything and this guy way in the back is the only one that can maybe get the ball carrier down.  Bynum is not some in the box safety so yeah he was last line of defense and guys got beat so he was the only one left.

Quick note, Chiefs and 49ers have standout LB player and their linebackers are versatile and great in coverage, then you have the Ravens and their great speed at ILB and range and the Lions with a lot of bodies for the position in Anzalone, Campbell, Barnes, Rodriguez and Reeves-Maybin and 3 of their top 4 tackles are all linebackers.  Not a surprise, LB is quite important and is a hard position to fill because no many guys in college are good at it when most just because some edge rusher and that is all they focus on.  

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

According to a report from Ben Goessling with the Star Tribune, Kevin O'Connell said he was surprised Brian Flores wasn't getting interest from other teams:

"There were a couple days where I thought maybe there would be some slips turned in; it just never came to fruition. I know he loves being in Minnesota. There was not something he was actively pursuing. But at the same time, I was crossing my fingers, because a year later, looking back on it, I'm just so happy we were able to get him in and make that decision."

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Vikings defensive coordinator Brian Flores confirmed to reporters that he received zero interview requests.

Flores: “I don’t really have control over that situation. I will say that I’m very happy where I am. It’s been a great offseason. There’s no way to know (whether his pending race discrimination lawsuit against the league is the cause). It's not really something I’m spending a lot of time thinking about. I try to be where my feet are, and that’s here with the Vikings. I try not to worry about things I have no control over. And I haven’t spent this much time with my family in a while."

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/brian-flores-on-whether-lawsuit-is-keeping-him-from-head-coaching-job-theres-no-way-to-know

• Like 1

11 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Vikings defensive coordinator Brian Flores confirmed to reporters that he received zero interview requests.

Flores: “I don’t really have control over that situation. I will say that I’m very happy where I am. It’s been a great offseason. There’s no way to know (whether his pending race discrimination lawsuit against the league is the cause). It's not really something I’m spending a lot of time thinking about. I try to be where my feet are, and that’s here with the Vikings. I try not to worry about things I have no control over. And I haven’t spent this much time with my family in a while."

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/brian-flores-on-whether-lawsuit-is-keeping-him-from-head-coaching-job-theres-no-way-to-know

Definitely has something to do with it although not reaching the playoffs three years in a row as HC, not gelling with your young QBOTF and being defensive sided coach has a ton to do with it also.

If Flores can stay as the Vikes Defensive Coordinator for 2-3 more seasons i'll be over the moon. 

• Like 5