Week 5: San Francisco 49ers vs Dallas Cowboys

J-ALL-DAY

1 hour ago, Ataal said:

I think I'm less optimistic about this game than most here.  If Dallas comes to play like they did against the Cardinals, playing very undisciplined with over 100 yards in penalties, I would be ecstatic.  But, I don't think that's going to happen.   I think Dallas is going to play like it's their Super Bowl.  The 49ers have knocked them out of the playoffs two years in a row, both ending on an embarrassing note.  Whether or not that motivation equates to success is a whole different story.  Maybe Dak throws 3 INTs anyway trying to do too much.  Who knows.  

Hoping for a win, but wouldn't be surprised if this is our first loss of the season.  

I agree. The hard part about being at the top is everyone wants a piece of that pie. Every team wants to make a statement, throw a knockout punch against us, and be the man. This is doubly true for a team like Dallas who could have been standing right next to us as the best team in the NFL if it weren't for a slip-up. They are going to be extra motivated this week.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ataal said:

I think I'm less optimistic about this game than most here.  If Dallas comes to play like they did against the Cardinals, playing very undisciplined with over 100 yards in penalties, I would be ecstatic.  But, I don't think that's going to happen.   I think Dallas is going to play like it's their Super Bowl.  The 49ers have knocked them out of the playoffs two years in a row, both ending on an embarrassing note.  Whether or not that motivation equates to success is a whole different story.  Maybe Dak throws 3 INTs anyway trying to do too much.  Who knows.  

Hoping for a win, but wouldn't be surprised if this is our first loss of the season.  

They probably have a better pass rush and  probably a better offensive line (depending on health) and that's hard to overcome. 

Quinn isn't afraid of shanny either.

But we have our own advantages. 

I think it's going to be an ugly game for each where the main board is saying things like, "neither of these teams is very impressive tonight"

• Like 1

I'm guessing Dallas will just go for broke and strictly focus on CMC to the max. Make Purdy, and everybody else make plays. If I'm the Cowboys I'd rather lose that way instead of getting pistol whipped all-game long by #23. 

Other teams have probably done that though, and it didn't matter. Obviously Dallas has the pieces in place to put the shackles on anybody. Not having Diggs is a blow to them. Praying the 49ers save one of their best OL performances as a unit for this game. Purdy running for his like like he did in the playoffs was frustrating to see. 

At least theres no McGlinchey to get tawsed this time. 49ers win 24-17. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, NinerNation21 said:

I think it's also important to point out that in 3 of the 4 games so far, the Niners have had one drive on defense where they start with a special teams penalty, give up chunk plays on PI penalties, then give up an easy TD. Yesterday's game was the first one that didn't have a meltdown drive littered with dumb penalties. 

It started with a fake punt though! 

Watchlist this week time permitting (be lucky if I can watch two) 

1981 Week 6 Cowboys at 49ers

1981 NFC Championship Cowboys at 49ers

1983 Week 16 Cowboys at 49ers

1985 Week 16 Cowboys at 49ers 

1994 Week 11 Cowboys at 49ers

1994 NFC Championship Game 49ers at Cowboys 

1995 Week 11 49ers at Cowboys 

Or maybe I'll just watch last year's playoff game. Feel the need to get hyphy. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Wonder how Steve Ruiz will spin this one. 

The narrative is already set for a lot of people. He's going to need a bigger sample of games, which is reasonable. But then he'll need a sample of shredding top defenses. Again, reasonable, but that will probably only move the needle a little if he's doing it with these skill players though. Then he'll need some of the skill players to turn over. Then he'll probably need shanny to retire. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Forge said:

That tweet is making the rounds. 

Worth noting that I'm pretty sure that AA was the guy who really took exception to thibs' comment during the eagles game last year

Armstead did but I don't think that alone motivated his tweet. 

These guys were legitimately upset that Jones was not taking any chances against them and they felt robbed of being able to make any plays. 

One thing is clear though, Wilks is limiting big plays with his coverages but unless he has the corners playing closer to the LOS and blitzing more, there's not going to be as many sack opportunities as there were in the past. QBs are just getting rid of the ball quickly (not Dobbs) with the off coverages. We haven't figured out how to play the crossers in stacked formations either which is VERY frustrating. 

• Like 1