Week 5: San Francisco 49ers vs Dallas Cowboys

J-ALL-DAY

I'm not sure how the takeaway from the actual posted segment is that Nick can't get past the Mr Irrelevant title. 

Nearly the entire segment he's talking about Geno and why he likes Geno, which is pretty divorced from having anything to do with Purdy. The only thing he really says about Purdy is that some of the dropped INTs will turn around at some point. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

I'm not sure how the takeaway from the actual posted segment is that Nick can't get past the Mr Irrelevant title. 

Nearly the entire segment he's talking about Geno and why he likes Geno, which is pretty divorced from having anything to do with Purdy. The only thing he really says about Purdy is that some of the dropped INTs will turn around at some point. 

My guess is he doesn't actually watch Purdys play lol 

3 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

And it was worth him worsening his knee in a game where he wasn't going to be featured at all? 

Of course Deebo will always attract attention on the field but the risk was not worth the reward. We need to be healthy at the end of the season and don't need to take any risks like we have in the past. 

3 hours ago, GW21 said:

While I agree we should have just rested him, he did clear out the defender on Aiyuk’s second big reception, so he wasn’t completely useless.

No. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Forge said:

I don't recall saying it was in the video. It's just my take on his attitude. 

That is allowed around here, correct?! 😝

On 10/2/2023 at 10:21 PM, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Wonder how Steve Ruiz will spin this one. 

So I listened to the Ringer NFL Podcast and it was pretty hilarious. At one point he said that Brock Purdy was the worst thing going on in his life right now lol. 

I respect the fact that he has an opinion that he's so sure of that he's going to keep rolling with it. I'm not going to put him on blast for having the opinion. I mean, I have no idea how good Purdy is. My only real point of reference / comparison is Jimmy. 

But it was an entertaining couple of minutes. He really went off on the pass to Aiyuk against Arizona and how it was a terrible pass, badly underthrown (during the live broadcast I thought Aiyuk was running a skinny post and that Purdy flattened the route to make the pass, however when you watch the end zone view of the throw, it does look like that ball just dies in the air as Aiyuk appears to make a rather sudden, jerky adjustment.  It's possible he just had trouble tracking it to start with, though.  I won't say that Ruiz was wrong about it being badly underthrown and he just got lucky since i think either are options). He said he felt like he was being gaslighted and how niners fans are basically trying to tell him that Purdy can tell the future LOL. I mean, it was a pretty funny diatribe. 

That said, by the end he really loses the narrative. He talked at first about how his QB rankings are done in an even situation where everyone is in the same offense, etc. Okay, you think Purdy is the 25th best QB if all things are equal across the board. That's fine. I don't agree, but I get it. Purdy is a really hard evaluation. 

But then when his co-host asks if the 49ers can win the super bowl with him (which means we are no longer talking about QBs in a vacuum, but Purdy in his exact situation) he says flat out no, but then added that he would be open to it if they were talking about Darnold. At that point, I think you've lost the plot. Is Purdy physically limited? Sure, compared to some others in the league. But it appears that on the mental side that he's got it locked in, and I just don't know that Darnold has the field vision or upstairs acumen (in all it's forms) to run an offense at that level. I think that has to be taken into account. Smart QBs who can process quickly at the NFL level are typically going to be pretty okay QBs so long as they meet the bare minimum physical requirements. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

So I listed to the Ringer NFL Podcast and it was pretty hilarious. At one point he said that Brock Purdy was the worst thing going on in his life right now lol. 

I respect the fact that he has an opinion that he's so sure of that he's going to keep rolling with it. I'm not going to put him on blast for having the opinion. I mean, I have no idea how good Purdy is. My only real point of reference / comparison is Jimmy. 

But it was an entertaining couple of minutes. He really went off on the pass to Aiyuk against Arizona and how it was a terrible pass, badly underthrown (during the live broadcast I thought Aiyuk was running a skinny post and that Purdy flattened the route to make the pass, however when you watch the end zone view of the throw, it does look like that ball just dies in the air as Aiyuk appears to make a rather sudden, jerky adjustment.  It's possible he just had trouble tracking it to start with, though.  I won't say that Ruiz was wrong about it being badly underthrown and he just got lucky since i think either are options). He said he felt like he was being gaslighted and how niners fans are basically trying to tell him that Purdy can tell the future LOL. I mean, it was a pretty funny diatribe. 

That said, by the end he really loses the narrative. He talked at first about how his QB rankings are done in an even situation where everyone is in the same offense, etc. Okay, you think Purdy is the 25th best QB if all things are equal across the board. That's fine. I don't agree, but I get it. Purdy is a really hard evaluation. 

But then when his co-host asks if the 49ers can win the super bowl with him (which means we are no longer talking about QBs in a vacuum, but Purdy in his exact situation) he says flat out no, but then added that he would be open to it if they were talking about Darnold. At that point, I think you've lost the plot. Is Purdy physically limited? Sure, compared to some others in the league. But it appears that on the mental side that he's got it locked in, and I just don't know that Darnold has the field vision or upstairs acumen (in all it's forms) to run an offense at that level. I think that has to be taken into account. Smart QBs who can process quickly at the NFL level are typically going to be pretty okay QBs so long as they meet the bare minimum physical requirements. 

Wolf. What a nutty hill to die on for Ruiz. His opinion seems pretty cross-wired, if not stubborn. I mean 25th best if all QBs are operating in a similar circumstance? Some guys just see the field better, and quicker. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

respect the fact that he has an opinion that he's so sure of that he's going to keep rolling with it. I'm not going to put him on blast for having the opinion. I mean, I have no idea how good Purdy is. My only real point of reference / comparison is Jimmy. 

Heard a podcast conversation just the other day. Guest was feeling bad about being wrong about something in the past and afraid of getting roasted for being a flip-flopper... host pointed out that in fact a stupid person would stick to their guns in the face of new evidence, while an intelligent person would take the new information into account and reevaluate... now Ruiz obviously isn't a stupid person, but it seems hes stuck because of the "hot take" culture that the media has become. Saying the 49ers can't win a ring with Purdy is plainly absurd at this point, imo

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, adamq said:

Heard a podcast conversation just the other day. Guest was feeling bad about being wrong about something in the past and afraid of getting roasted for being a flip-flopper... host pointed out that in fact a stupid person would stick to their guns in the face of new evidence, while an intelligent person would take the new information into account and reevaluate... now Ruiz obviously isn't a stupid person, but it seems hes stuck because of the "hot take" culture that the media has become. Saying the 49ers can't win a ring with Purdy is plainly absurd at this point, imo

We Yankee folk love doubling down for better or worse. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Wolf. What a nutty hill to die on for Ruiz. His opinion seems pretty cross-wired, if not stubborn. I mean 25th best if all QBs are operating in a similar circumstance? Some guys just see the field better, and quicker. 

Agreed.

I do want to give him a little credit for knowing what he is talking about when he's watching stuff as he does have a history of seeing stuff early. Like, he was one of the very, very earliest Geno Smith proponents that I can remember. He was very high on Lawrence during his rookie year and I'm pretty sure that he has been out on Fields from jump. 

But this is a pretty rough look with the Purdy / Darnold dynamic. I don't mind if he isn't a purdy fan...he brings up valid points to debunk some of purdy's performance whether or not I agree with it (he comments on how Purdy has an EPA that is like 4x the league average on passes at or behind the line of scrimmage, which I think is a totally valid point to how some stats can be artificially inflated) but at some point you have to acknowledge the things that he does well, which isn't something I've heard Ruiz discuss all that much with Purdy, tbh. 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, adamq said:

The co-host called him out on that as well. Simplest argument ever - the team had a double digit 4th quarter lead in the super bowl with Jimmy G as the QB and were probably one pass away from switching the narrative. 

I don't mind if he's going to be slow to turn the ship around on how he feels about Purdy. I mentioned that early...for a lot of people who have dug in, that's going to be a multiple years process because you're going to need a bigger sample, you're going to need to ball out against tough defenses, you're going to want to see performance through varying situations, etc. I am okay with this because i understand how hard of an evaluation that is. 

But I can't get behind one pass away from a super bowl win with Jimmy and not being able to win one with Purdy (but being able to win one with Sammy D). That math ain't mathin for me. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

And like, Purdy's environment is worse than people think. He's operating behind an offensive line that is allowing pressure at a top third rate and was missing his #1 receiver for a game and two thirds. Yes, it's the 9ers weapons and other guys stepped up. But Brock makes his situation look cleaner than it is. And when it is clean, he absolutely nuked the Cardinals defense for 13 ypa. Didn't see Dak do that. I don't see Justin Fields and whatever anticipating throws. I think some guys think that all it takes to operate as a QB in multiple offenses is to throw the ball fast and accurately when timing and decision making are really ****ing important too.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

The co-host called him out on that as well. Simplest argument ever - the team had a double digit 4th quarter lead in the super bowl with Jimmy G as the QB and were probably one pass away from switching the narrative. 

I don't mind if he's going to be slow to turn the ship around on how he feels about Purdy. I mentioned that early...for a lot of people who have dug in, that's going to be a multiple years process because you're going to need a bigger sample, you're going to need to ball out against tough defenses, you're going to want to see performance through varying situations, etc. I am okay with this because i understand how hard of an evaluation that is. 

But I can't get behind one pass away from a super bowl win with Jimmy and not being able to win one with Purdy (but being able to win one with Sammy D). That math ain't mathin for me. 

He also had Brock's accuracy as mediocre in his write up which forms a hilarious parallel with the Nick Saban Take lol.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Forge said:

So I listened to the Ringer NFL Podcast and it was pretty hilarious. At one point he said that Brock Purdy was the worst thing going on in his life right now lol. 

He also randomly brings up the incompletion in the end zone where Aiyuk got held and said the flag had nothing to do with the play....Huh? The throw was to Aiyuk and he got blatantly held lol.

Ruiz has some weird rankings at times and clearly prefers big armed QBs. Which is perfectly fine. But when he said he watches film and Purdy is not doing anything....It's kind of like.....alright, how long are you going to continue with this schtick?