Week 5: San Francisco 49ers vs Dallas Cowboys

J-ALL-DAY

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Watching some of the game from last year and damn, cowboys really just consistently shot themselves in the foot. 

They destroyed our line. Brock was running for his life

Yes that's what I remember about the game the most. Brock running for his life. That's probably not going to change. 

OL help next offseason via draft/FA is hopefully a priority. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

9 hours ago, Forge said:

Watching some of the game from last year and damn, cowboys really just consistently shot themselves in the foot. 

They destroyed our line. Brock was running for his life

Their defensive gameplan had Shanny good, too. That rollout that ended up being the crazy Kittle catch was brilliantly covered and Kittle was nominally just a blocker on the play. But out of structure he broke out and Purdy made a play. And when Purdy wasn't under pressure he was like 14-16 for 150 yards. He carved them up when he had the time, even in spite of coverage shifts to try and deal with the middle of the field. Straight up our quarterback performed better under adverse conditions than theirs did. That doesn't mean that it will always happen, but it was the case last year. Hell, we even had a horrible muffed punt.

43 minutes ago, JIllg said:

Their defensive gameplan had Shanny good, too. That rollout that ended up being the crazy Kittle catch was brilliantly covered and Kittle was nominally just a blocker on the play. But out of structure he broke out and Purdy made a play. And when Purdy wasn't under pressure he was like 14-16 for 150 yards. He carved them up when he had the time, even in spite of coverage shifts to try and deal with the middle of the field. Straight up our quarterback performed better under adverse conditions than theirs did. That doesn't mean that it will always happen, but it was the case last year. Hell, we even had a horrible muffed punt.

Honestly, it's because for the most part they did not overreact to any of the play actions and were disciplined on the back side. We got them a few times but overall they had a great game plan. It's going to flat out come down to Purdy trusting our WRs against their corners in man coverage. Purdy is not going to have many openings so he's going to have to throw some balls where Aiyuk has to make a play in tight coverage. As good of a playmaker as Bland is, Aiyuk should be able to win that match up more times than not. I don't see the Cowboys having Gilmore travel with Aiyuk. And even if he does, you still go to Aiyuk. 

This is a game where Kyle is going to need the passing game to open up the running game. If we can have early success with the passing game, then Kyle should be one step ahead of Quinn all game and be able to control it like he has the first four games. 

Lawrence/Parsons against McKivitz is going to be UGLY though. Purdy better be smart and just get rid of the ball quickly and live to play another down. Don't try to extend plays by spinning away to the left side....Parsons will be waiting for him.

Edited by J-ALL-DAY
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Forge said:

Purdy is going to get a chance to show it over the course of the upcoming games as @J-ALL-DAY said 

Right now I'd probably take Geno over Purdy if I were the Seahawks(or most teams that run a more vertical/pass heavy offensive scheme), but I have all the NFC West QBs(Stafford, Geno, Purdy, and healthy Murray) at around the same level, albeit with pretty different skill sets. Of the four Purdy probably fits Shanahan's scheme the best right now

50 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Can't tell how good Deebo is as he doesn't seem to be at full speed in that clip. He didn't look himself at all in the last game. 

He shouldn't have played. Was just a decoy running at half speed all game long, even when he got the ball in his hands. Bad decision by the team. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

He shouldn't have played. Was just a decoy running at half speed all game long, even when he got the ball in his hands. Bad decision by the team. 

While I agree we should have just rested him, he did clear out the defender on Aiyuk’s second big reception, so he wasn’t completely useless.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, GW21 said:

While I agree we should have just rested him, he did clear out the defender on Aiyuk’s second big reception, so he wasn’t completely useless.

And it was worth him worsening his knee in a game where he wasn't going to be featured at all? 

Of course Deebo will always attract attention on the field but the risk was not worth the reward. We need to be healthy at the end of the season and don't need to take any risks like we have in the past. 

15 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

It's as if he cannot get past the "Mr. Irrelevant" title with regard to Purdy. Really makes him look foolish. 

Yeah, I'm not entirely sure what it is. He had a very similar take on Jimmy, which to be fair he isn't too far off from. But I can't believe that someone who has watched both close doesn't see significant differences between the two.