GDT: Week 5 - Dallas @ SF

WizardHawk

1 hour ago, quiller said:

Business as usual in NFL Denver giving away Gregory to SF.  SF gets Gregory and a 7th round pick for a 6th round pick.  If we had come calling the price probably was a fourth or higher straight up

I mean how effective is he going to be with maybe 1 day of practice in that system? 

6 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

What was the last game in the first half of a season that felt this critical?

First instinct is that it would have to be a divisional matchup from the late 2000s. Maybe MNF against the Eagles in 08 or the new stadium opener against NYG in 09?

Even that feels like a stretch. Real answer could be something from the 90s.

4 hours ago, quiller said:

Business as usual in NFL Denver giving away Gregory to SF.  SF gets Gregory and a 7th round pick for a 6th round pick.  If we had come calling the price probably was a fourth or higher straight up

No other team in the NFL wants to help us unless we vastly overpay. Now he goes from an 1-3 team to a contender… crazy

12 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

What was the last game in the first half of a season that felt this critical?

Only one that really popped into my head is at Seattle 2014. Dallas had the pieces in place, but needed a signature win. This was it. That win changed my entire perception of the team. Even had they lost that game in close affair, you could sense they had a good thing going. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Tony7188 said:

No other team in the NFL wants to help us unless we vastly overpay. Now he goes from an 1-3 team to a contender… crazy

Do you guys really think he would be all that helpful at this point? He has 3 sacks since he left, and I saw a Broncos fan post that he was atrocious against the run.

Edited by JohnChimpo

13 hours ago, Tony7188 said:

Do I need to remind you that we got a 1st round, 3rd overall QB for a 4th round pick???

If Lance should turn out to be a top 5 QB in this league and lead us to a title, can anyone really say we didn't steal this guy?

2 hours ago, Rtnldave said:

Do I need to remind you that we got a 1st round, 3rd overall QB for a 4th round pick???

If Lance should turn out to be a top 5 QB in this league and lead us to a title, can anyone really say we didn't steal this guy?

I will be shocked if Lance becomes a Dallas Cowboy QB1.  Sure he was a top pick but a top pick who couldn’t make it with the team that drafted him.   Very few if any 1st round QB’s failed with the team that drafted them and latter made it big with another team 

all Gregory has to do is go out there 5-6 times a game on passing downs where he only worries about getting after the QB.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, quiller said:

I will be shocked if Lance becomes a Dallas Cowboy QB1.  Sure he was a top pick but a top pick who couldn’t make it with the team that drafted him.   Very few if any 1st round QB’s failed with the team that drafted them and latter made it big with another team 

all Gregory has to do is go out there 5-6 times a game on passing downs where he only worries about getting after the QB.  

He didn't make it with SF because he got injured. When Purdy got his shot, he immediately clicked. Lance never really got a fair shake due to injury and freak luck that Purdy would be this good.

As for QBs that never made it with the team that drafted them and then went on to a number 1 role with another team, and even won a SB, ever hear of these guys?

Brett Favre Atl/ GB

Steve Young TB/SF

Trent Dilfer TB/Bal

Brad Johnson Minn/TB

To name a few.

21 hours ago, matt79511 said:

First instinct is that it would have to be a divisional matchup from the late 2000s. Maybe MNF against the Eagles in 08 or the new stadium opener against NYG in 09?

Even that feels like a stretch. Real answer could be something from the 90s.

14 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

Only one that really popped into my head is at Seattle 2014. Dallas had the pieces in place, but needed a signature win. This was it. That win changed my entire perception of the team. Even had they lost that game in close affair, you could sense they had a good thing going. 

Seattle isn’t a bad answer. Green Bay 2016 was similar. Both games were different feel to me than this. Where those games were exciting, “let’s see if this team is for real”, this game feels like “we know we’re good, now we’ll know of we’re good enough”. And the history of these two teams (both recent and distant), just amps it up by a lot, too.

Edited by Nextyearfordaboyz
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Rtnldave said:

He didn't make it with SF because he got injured. When Purdy got his shot, he immediately clicked. Lance never really got a fair shake due to injury and freak luck that Purdy would be this good.

As for QBs that never made it with the team that drafted them and then went on to a number 1 role with another team, and even won a SB, ever hear of these guys?

Brett Favre Atl/ GB

Steve Young TB/SF

Trent Dilfer TB/Bal

Brad Johnson Minn/TB

To name a few.

Yea and all these were a long time ago when it was the norm to draft a QB then let him sit around a year plus before even making the field.   And also to be fair we as Dallas fans would not be happy with a Differ or Johnson as our starting QB based on the heat Dak is getting.  
Any way I guess I am just a bit jaded in this as I don’t understand the potential love for Lance.  I understand last year injuries killed him but man 

1 hour ago, textaz03 said:

Not feeling very confident about tonight’s game at all! Gonna say it now, San Fran by 16

Pretty much how I feel. Would be shocked if we win. SF just has our number and I would be surprised if the defense has as good of a game in store for us as they put out in the playoffs

18 hours ago, quiller said:

Yea and all these were a long time ago when it was the norm to draft a QB then let him sit around a year plus before even making the field.   And also to be fair we as Dallas fans would not be happy with a Differ or Johnson as our starting QB based on the heat Dak is getting.  
Any way I guess I am just a bit jaded in this as I don’t understand the potential love for Lance.  I understand last year injuries killed him but man 

The "potential love" is something us old heads referred to PEDIGREE.

In other words, QBs that are drafted in the top 10 of the 1st round have the "pedigree." Scouts believe they have all the tools to lead a team to a title. Now, clearly this is not always the case. You can point at a number of 1st round busts from Jeff George to Jamarcus Russell.

Then you have your 6th round Tom Bradys.

But ask yourself this question, if you were building a football team, would you prefer a QB taken numer 3 overall in the 1st round or a comp pick in the 4th round?

That is the buzz about Trey Lance.