Week 5 GDT: [MNF] McRaiders v Packers - The one where we need to smarten up

big_palooka

How hot is that seat getting?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. How do we feel about the McRaiders this week?

• Raiders rally, get a much needed win at "home"
    • Raiders come in unprepared and it's another nail in the coffin?
    • Just tank baby?

6 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

I agree. We realistically could be 4-1 and there’s other teams who are a lot worse than us. 

People wishing for a draft pick to save a team need to get over themselves. The savior QB is not a slam dunk. Brock Purdy was the last pick on the draft! It is about building a team 

This coming from the guy who has been pounding the table for a high pick QBs? Cmon man, and people telling people to “take a break?” Gtf off the high horse! We ALL want to win, but mcdummy isn’t taking us there, the d played well. But the offense and jimmy glass? Cmon y’all. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

I’ve never seen “fans” mad about a win. People spent years wishing he had a better than bottom barrel defense and we are making strides. And most people don’t care?!

The defense has looked much better than expected, I agree.

Of course, we've beaten the Broncos and Packers, neither of which are good football teams. We've also played (and lost to) the Steelers who aren't good either, and the Chargers who as usual are stuttering their way through the season.

Let's see how they look against some teams who can actually move the ball. It didn't look pretty against the Bills.

And no, I’m not pining for CW or DM. I’ve been a fan for almost 48 yrs now....I know better. Just like I know better than to trust mcdoofus, or jimmy g. One is a liar straight up, and the other is just meh. I was already done with mcdummy, but last week? He came out and said they tried everything to stop Mack. Well we ALL know the nexgen stats story and Mack’s direct quote directly contradict that. He’s a weasel, and most want him gone. Because we DO care about our team. I’m glad we sent the packers crowd home losers. Fwiw. 

Just finished watching the game. Interesting reading everyone’s responses to the win. And I completely get the POV of those fans who want to blow it all up as it does seem that in Maye and Williams, there are 2 bonefide, franchise altering stars and it is another game where the O stuttered and stalled and McD appeared unable to get it going plus made hugely questionable decisions again.

The problem is that it simply won’t make a difference as we have too many good players to completely fall apart. And that is what would need to happen IMO for McD to get the boot and for us to end up with a top 3 draft pick.

That’s the reality and like some have said, the percentages just don’t add up for us to keep hoping we’ll do worse than other bad teams in the faintest hope that it lands us that QB.

Edited by reddevil
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Went with Chorizo stuffed Poblanos and carne apache burritos for this one. 

Brisket came out just like this game a ugly win.

Just like our offense I thought it was gonna be some fancy stuff but it was just like a hella juicy Tri tip for the flat and the rest was like a roast. Hella time consuming.

Edited by NCOUGHMAN
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I agree with @big_palooka. I have been watching JJ McCarthy this week and he gives me some Josh Allen vibes. Huge improvement from last year. If he keeps rising he could be in play.

It was too early in the season to start thinking "top pick" honestly. So much football to be played. 

The "we played ourselves out of the top pick" takes are premature one. Second, there are several good looking QBs outside the top 2. McCarthy as an example who looks like with a little more seasoning he'd be in that conversation. 

Second, while it sucks you can trade up and get the guy you want. I would have no problem trading picks to secure Maye if it came to it. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Devilshark69 said:

This coming from the guy who has been pounding the table for a high pick QBs? Cmon man, and people telling people to “take a break?” Gtf off the high horse! We ALL want to win, but mcdummy isn’t taking us there, the d played well. But the offense and jimmy glass? Cmon y’all. 

Yea when we have a pick during the offseason. There’s more ways to get a QBs by not just losing. Freaking 49ers have a top 5 QB from last pick of the draft 

I’m not the one who is gonna be mad at a win. Sorry a$% fans complaining about wins. Guarantee if we lost there would have been pages of complaining but those are surprisingly not here

We could still can the HC/QB and keep the defense 

Plus wrong person, im not telling anyone to take breaks

9 hours ago, BackinBlack said:

Thinking a 10 year vet will improve, but a rookie wont, is wild to me. 
Why do you have to think the timing will get better wit Jimmy but not AOC, who didnt get reps all season with the starters?

jimmy has no velocity on his passes, the dbs are closing on routes the wrs have won but ball isnt gtting there faster. 

yes. I believe AOC can improve, guess thats wild now. 

AOC is not going to start until they are mathematically out of it or Jimmy G is hurt. 

Can you imagine JMD/DZ going to Davis week 6 and saying hey, I know we gave this 33.75 mil gtd, but we're going to go with the rookie. 

Not to mention, while AOC is a fun underdog story, he wasn't particularly sharp. He held onto the ball, taking sacks and turning it over. I'd argue the Raiders beat the Chargers with Jimmy G simply on him being a vet and not taking those sacks and fumbles. 

9 hours ago, justwinbaby81 said:

Then take a break, easy as that. Come back in the off season. Scout QB prospects because we were never getting Williams or Maye, the team has too much talent, even if it isn't a contender. This is our team, take it or leave it. I'm hoping this 2023 team wins, I figured that's what being a fan is. Soft schedule coming up, one week at a time. Doesn't mean you can't hope HC or QB, both can (and should) change. 

I'll be going to the game next week. I'll be going in 3 weeks. I'll love the team more than prospects that may or may not pan out, let alone prospects that may or may not be on the team. Easy as that. Our guys work too hard to hope for losses

Good post. Plus who says one of the QBs won't fall like Carter did or Aaron Rodgers did or who says we can't trade up and get a QB anyway. Sure, it's unlikely that we'll land a very top QB prospect or the #1 QB prospect but that is so far off. There's more than one way to skin a cat.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

AOC is not going to start until they are mathematically out of it or Jimmy G is hurt. 

Can you imagine JMD/DZ going to Davis week 6 and saying hey, I know we gave this 33.75 mil gtd, but we're going to go with the rookie. 

Not to mention, while AOC is a fun underdog story, he wasn't particularly sharp. He held onto the ball, taking sacks and turning it over. I'd argue the Raiders beat the Chargers with Jimmy G simply on him being a vet and not taking those sacks and fumbles. 

Yes I can, and I would actually respect it.
"Hey I was wrong, I made a mistake, and clearly Jimmys arm has regressed. He has no zip on passes and I think it is holding our team back. "

that would be music to my ears, a coach owning up to his mistake. 
How is that any different than paying renfrow 16 mil and refusing to use him anyways lol. 

Its crazy now we dont want coaches to admit mistakes? that is the worst possible way to improve imo

to the second bold, are you saying Jimmy hasnt done these things? Cause I think he has. So maybe there is disconnect, but if i havent been clear, I think, Jimmy has been bottom 5 qb for us so for. 

holding ball to long, Taking sacks, and turning it over. plus, missing wrs, throwing no zip and getting wrs killed. 

crack 20 points once, and ill lay off, but thinking scoring under 20 and we win any game is a risky thougt. 

26 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

Yes I can, and I would actually respect it.
"Hey I was wrong, I made a mistake, and clearly Jimmys arm has regressed. He has no zip on passes and I think it is holding our team back. "

that would be music to my ears, a coach owning up to his mistake. 
How is that any different than paying renfrow 16 mil and refusing to use him anyways lol. 

Its crazy now we dont want coaches to admit mistakes? that is the worst possible way to improve imo

to the second bold, are you saying Jimmy hasnt done these things? Cause I think he has. So maybe there is disconnect, but if i havent been clear, I think, Jimmy has been bottom 5 qb for us so for. 

holding ball to long, Taking sacks, and turning it over. plus, missing wrs, throwing no zip and getting wrs killed. 

crack 20 points once, and ill lay off, but thinking scoring under 20 and we win any game is a risky thougt. 

I agree, but if you're trying to keep your job, you don't explain to the owner how you tossed 33.75 million on black and it came up craps. 

Second, you're turning to a rookie who showed he's not ready to save it which is career suicide.

I could be wrong, but Jimmy G imo gives them the best chance to win. No, I don't see Jimmy G taking bad sacks and fumbling the ball. He is throwing picks and his arm is obviously shot. 

I'd have no problem with AO4 starting and I'm sure we will when they are eliminated. I just don't think it moves the needle offensively. He's a rookie and needs a lot of work. 

10 hours ago, justwinbaby81 said:

Then take a break, easy as that. Come back in the off season. Scout QB prospects because we were never getting Williams or Maye, the team has too much talent, even if it isn't a contender. This is our team, take it or leave it. I'm hoping this 2023 team wins, I figured that's what being a fan is. Soft schedule coming up, one week at a time. Doesn't mean you can't hope HC or QB, both can (and should) change. 

I'll be going to the game next week. I'll be going in 3 weeks. I'll love the team more than prospects that may or may not pan out, let alone prospects that may or may not be on the team. Easy as that. Our guys work too hard to hope for losses

Who says I want Caleb or Maye? I never said that. I don't care who we take at QB next year as long as we take a guy in the first round.  Statistically speaking, the last 40 years, only 5 QB's have won a superbowl outside first round picks. 

You keep avoiding my questions. Matter of fact you responded to someone else who stated my exact points with "you respect that". But for me, it's take a break? The fact is, it's hard to get excited or feel anything but "meh" about our win right now because our QB and coach look incompetent ad are holding us back from succeeding. We won't go anywhere with them at the helm. And it sucks feeling this way in week 5, but the fact is this is our team. We're failing. Should I be super excited because we're going to be a 6 win team instead of a 4 win team? Because I'm not. And I don't think that's anything to be happy over.  So I'm not overjoyed that we go the win yesterday. That doesn't mean I need to take a break. It means I'm being factual with our situation. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

I agree. We realistically could be 4-1 and there’s other teams who are a lot worse than us. 

People wishing for a draft pick to save a team need to get over themselves. The savior QB is not a slam dunk. Brock Purdy was the last pick on the draft! It is about building a team 

Yeah, you can spin it the positive way. 

However, I'm more concerned that we could be 0-5 right now.  Barely winning games against the Packers and Broncos don't make me feel any better about our chances this year or going forward.

I don't mind people being optimistic or hopeful. Right now I'm not though and the optimism comes off as delusional.

• Like 2