Let's talk Bryce Young

notthatbluestuff

8 minutes ago, Soko said:

If it’s impossible to succeed  and see receivers at his height, why is Kyler Murray at least showing starting caliber QB play at the exact same height?

Kyler’s a better athlete and has a better arm, obviously, but then it’s not just a height issue anymore. I do think his arm looks pretty average, tbf. Not helping him when he’s bailing.

Drew Brees showed you don’t need a cannon.’

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, El Ramster said:

Drew Brees showed you don’t need a cannon.’

That’s what I’m saying, if Bryce had Drew Brees level field reading, Peyton Manning level intelligence, and Tom Brady level accuracy, then he wouldn’t be “too short to play QB”. He’s only too short to play QB because he sucks, but realistically, even if he were 6’6 with the exact same game he has now - he’d still suck.

• Like 3

People didn't think his size was an issue in terms of his play because it wasn't in college. He played at Alabama and SEC linemen are NFL sized humans. He had no issues with vision there. People were a little worried he wouldn't hold up though.

In hindsight it all makes perfect sense, but coming out Bryce was a pro-ready prospect with a really high floor. Not a very high ceiling, but a high floor.

2 hours ago, Soko said:

If it’s impossible to succeed  and see receivers at his height, why is Kyler Murray at least showing starting caliber QB play at the exact same height?

Kyler’s a better athlete and has a better arm, obviously, but then it’s not just a height issue anymore. I do think his arm looks pretty average, tbf. Not helping him when he’s bailing.

Kyler still struggles at times seeing things clearly in the pocket and I believe that's a function of his height. He makes up for that with his playmaking ability and athleticism, but he's never going to be an great pocket passer.

Bryce Young has Kyler's height limitations with none of the mobility or ability to create. He was billed on being a super processor and super accurate coming into the draft and he's not, so what does that leave you with?

38 minutes ago, BroncoSojia said:

Kyler still struggles at times seeing things clearly in the pocket and I believe that's a function of his height. He makes up for that with his playmaking ability and athleticism, but he's never going to be an great pocket passer.

Bryce Young has Kyler's height limitations with none of the mobility or ability to create. He was billed on being a super processor and super accurate coming into the draft and he's not, so what does that leave you with?

I get it, that’s why I’m saying it’s a hindrance and not necessarily a bar of success. Like, okay, you probably can’t be 4’11 and be an NFL starting QB. There is a minimum requirement somewhere. But if you’re saying “well, if he had X, Y, and Z, but he was still 5’10, he’d be alright” then the height isn’t really a requirement as much as it is a limitation.

It’s definitely a limitation, just not one that I think a better quarterback couldn’t get around. People are/were saying he couldn’t possibly succeed because of his size, and I don’t believe that to be true (again, looking at Kyler, although we can debate the ceiling there).

4 hours ago, showtime said:

I did. He's like 5'9" and is awful. He had Devonta Smith running wide open with no defenders within 10 yards of him. The current QB for North Dakota State University could have made those throws. He doesn't have the tools to make all the throws at the NFL level. He's just bad.

DeVonta Smith was in the NFL before Bryce Young became the starter at Alabama

Alabama is Alabama, but I think some people are forgetting that they were not as good or as talented (especially at WR) as they were with Mac, Hurts, or Tua.  Bryce's top WRs his final year were Jermaine Burton and Ja'Corey Brooks. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Soko said:

Kyler is taller/bigger. There pictures of them together.

FmO28QQWAAA1vJB.jpg

1 hour ago, Soko said:

I get it, that’s why I’m saying it’s a hindrance and not necessarily a bar of success. Like, okay, you probably can’t be 4’11 and be an NFL starting QB. There is a minimum requirement somewhere. But if you’re saying “well, if he had X, Y, and Z, but he was still 5’10, he’d be alright” then the height isn’t really a requirement as much as it is a limitation.

It’s definitely a limitation, just not one that I think a better quarterback couldn’t get around. People are/were saying he couldn’t possibly succeed because of his size, and I don’t believe that to be true (again, looking at Kyler, although we can debate the ceiling there).

If you’re deficient in Height and Weight, you have to make up for it with Athletic ability or Throwing ability. 

Bryce doesn’t have the athletic ability, nor the arm talent. Kyler does. That’s the difference 

10 minutes ago, DigInBoys said:

FmO28QQWAAA1vJB.jpg

Lol, ok.

I’ll go off the nearly identical combine measurements and give you the quarter inch deviation that that picture just might be showing.

3 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

If you’re deficient in Height and Weight, you have to make up for it with Athletic ability or Throwing ability. 

Bryce doesn’t have the athletic ability, nor the arm talent. Kyler does. That’s the difference 

You’re missing my point. I know there’s a difference.

If you’re saying “you have to make up for it” with other things, then you are no longer saying “5’10 is too short to play QB”. It’s a limitation, not a requirement.

7 minutes ago, DigInBoys said:

FmO28QQWAAA1vJB.jpg

Yup Kyler a lot like Russel Wilson in that they’re thickly built and super mobile. Even if they’re short, they have bodies and athletic ability that you hope can handle the NfL grind. Kyler and the size not so much, but Russ was able to survive pretty well till now. 

I’m a Bama fan, I liked Bryce a lot as a college player. Never thought his body/size could hold up in the NfL, and now the reality is sinking in and mentally this guy seems toasted 

Just now, Soko said:

You’re missing my point. I know there’s a difference.

If you’re saying “you have to make up for it” with other things, then you are no longer saying “5’10 is too short to play QB”. It’s a limitation, not a requirement.

so this is all just a semantics thing for you? Meh

40 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

so this is all just a semantics thing for you? Meh

It’s a pretty big difference in saying “Bryce can’t succeed because he’s too short” from “him being short is a weakness”. That’s not really semantics, especially when there seems to be a large group of people parroting the same thing. 

This guy’s too short to play QB, this guy’s arms are too short to play tackle, this guy’s too light to be a WR. It’s lazy.

I feel bad for Bryce. He was drafted to an awful team that dumped all their talent and then stupidly gave up a bunch of picks to jump up in the draft. It was a mind boggling trade at the time but several people did the “if you want your guy you go get him” deal while disregarding the fact that you do not have the resources left to put a team around him. I think Bryce is failing because of where he ended up. 

• Like 1