Let's talk Bryce Young

notthatbluestuff

Chicago and Houston were brilliant in Round #1 of the 2023 draft.  The Texans got, arguably, the best offensive and defensive players available and have subsequently demonstrated that they have the supporting cast in place for both.

Chicago showed admirable patience, delaying their move until 2024, after a free agency matched by Detroit and no one else.  I confess that I'd have fallen from grace and picked Stroud.  Instead, Poles will have to "settle" for Caleb Williams and Marvin Harrison Jr.  (I've seen worse consolation prizes.)

Carolina did the opposite of the Bears, panicking a year too early to take Bryce Young, well before the Panthers had anything for him to work with.  Young will be a fine QB but not soon.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Young versus Stroud on Sunday.

https://www.nfl.com/news/panthers-hc-frank-reich-on-bryce-young-ahead-of-c-j-stroud-matchup-we-got-the-gu

As classmates atop the 2023 NFL Draft, Bryce Young and C.J. Stroud (who face each other for the first time this Sunday) will be forever linked. As of now, the team that selected the latter is looking like the wiser of the two.

Stroud, the No. 2 overall pick, is playing at an exceptional level through seven weeks for the Texans, ranking in the top five among qualified passers in passing yards per game (276.7), passing yards per attempt (7.8) and touchdown-to-interception ratio (9-1). His Texans are 3-3 largely because of his performance (and DeMeco Ryans' feisty defense), which has all but eliminated the previously persistent uncertainty regarding the quarterback position in Houston.

Young, meanwhile, has struggled mightily in Carolina. The No. 2 pick is not in a great situation with the Panthers, but he's also having a tougher time adjusting to the pro game and his own limitations within it. His numbers (193.4 YPG, 5.3 YPA, 6-4 TD-INT) pale in comparison to Stroud's, the visual difference in performance is even more drastic, and as the average NFL fan will quickly point out, he has yet to finish as a victor with Carolina.

Still, Panthers head coach Frank Reich wouldn't have it any other way. He's not interested in rehashing past decisions and believes Young remains the future of football in Carolina.

"Yeah, I mean, we got the guy we wanted to get and couldn't be happier about that in every way," Reich said on Wednesday, via the team's official site. "And I would say this: I'm happy for C.J. He's had six good games, and I have no doubt he'll have many more good games. But I know this: when it comes to evaluating quarterbacks or any position, it's years, not weeks. You can't put a label on a guy after six weeks or even a year. I've seen guys have Pro Bowl seasons and then a year later, fighting to be a backup somewhere else. I mean, it's a crazy league."

Not like Reich is going to say "yeah, I wanted Stroud, but I'm stuck with this other kid."

• Like 1

On 10/26/2023 at 1:21 PM, General Tso said:

Surprised Carolina is just trying to move off of Terrace Marshall. Is he that bad? Yet people want to project Jerry Jeudy to them.

maybe they think Mingo is a similar WR but an upgrade. Maybe they want to compliment the future WR corps with a slot guy, and a deep burner. Adam T isn't a burner either. 

On 10/26/2023 at 3:21 PM, General Tso said:

Surprised Carolina is just trying to move off of Terrace Marshall. Is he that bad? Yet people want to project Jerry Jeudy to them.

I think the move is a mutual decision - Marshall wants out as much as Carolina wants him out.

On 10/26/2023 at 9:41 AM, notthatbluestuff said:

Young versus Stroud on Sunday.

https://www.nfl.com/news/panthers-hc-frank-reich-on-bryce-young-ahead-of-c-j-stroud-matchup-we-got-the-gu

Not like Reich is going to say "yeah, I wanted Stroud, but I'm stuck with this other kid."

Even if Reich was thinking “Wow Stroud looks great” it’s wayyyyy too early to be making those kind of decisions. Bryce could still easily become the best QB of the class. Not saying he will, but it’s been 8 games for crying out loud. 

On 10/26/2023 at 1:21 PM, General Tso said:

Marshall is a bust. He does nothing good. I usually don’t believe in black and white scenarios, but when a rookie WR doesn’t eclipse the 400 yard mark, he’s a bust like 97% of the time. 

Stroud has settled down a bit and Young is warming up. Honestly the Top 4 Rookie QB Prospects of this class might end up with good rookie campaigns. Richardson was solid for a year one project starter, a guy who is not even suppose to be good until year three. 

Compared to 2021 where every Rookie QB was a nightmare outside of Mac Jones. 

This falls on the owner at this point. He wanted Bryce. Sucks for the Panthers coaching staff cause they will take the fall for this eventually. Gave up a lot and will most likely miss on the pick. 

Gonna sting even more if that pick ends up being the first over all pick 

I think Young will be fine. Its unfortunate for him that Stroud is playing so well because fans will wonder why he's not doing it. I think Tua went through something similar when Herbert took off and he was struggling. Young is a pretty talented guy and I think as he gets more comfortable and he's surrounded with better talent he will start to settle down and look like the guy who was worth the first pick. 

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

I think Young will be fine. Its unfortunate for him that Stroud is playing so well because fans will wonder why he's not doing it. I think Tua went through something similar when Herbert took off and he was struggling. Young is a pretty talented guy and I think as he gets more comfortable and he's surrounded with better talent he will start to settle down and look like the guy who was worth the first pick. 

Some truth here. But, you swap Young for Stroud, there is no way Young is doing what Stroud is in Houston. And Stroud would look a lot better for the Panthers right now. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lavar703 said:

The hope is for the Panthers to be able to regroup quickly before they ruin him--which as a Browns fan, I can tell you is a very real thing with young QBs. You stay in a mismanaged/bad situation long enough where you cant succeed and it mentally ruins the young QB for the rest of his career. Those situations aid QBs into developing bad habits and erase all of the great traits they had in college. I believe Kyler Murray and Justin Fields are in similar situations right now. Hopefully Young doesnt add his name to that list and they can get that thing turned around before he is mentally/physically fried and starts double clutching in the pocket and breaking the pocket when his hot route isnt open on the 1st read.

That is the #1 sign a young QB is cooked--when they start dropping their head and breaking the pocket when their first read isnt there. When that starts happening to Young, its time to panic.

Edited by AkronsWitness