We Can Still Crack the Top Ten

MacReady

10 hours ago, MacReady said:

Offensive line is the worst it’s been since McCarthy took over, we don’t have a single game changer on defense, our QB has thrown 5 touchdowns to 8 interceptions since week two, has been under 6 yards per attempt in three games this season, has frequently whiffed on wide open deep balls, short balls, medium balls and screen passes to very open receivers we already have and you think a WR is the direction the Packers need to go in their first top 5 pick since AJ Hawk?

If our first round pick happens in the top five and it’s any position other than OT, EDGE, DL or QB, we will become a habitually bad team.

The offensive line is trash and I would be all for a tackle.

I think Marvin Harrison is a rare prospect that they should definitely consider breaking from draft day norms for. But I don’t think that is going to happen.

I can’t stomach another defensive player in the first round unless it’s a d tackle that’s going to shut everything inside right down.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, sgtcheezwiz said:

The offensive line is trash and I would be all for a tackle.

I think Marvin Harrison is a rare prospect that they should definitely consider breaking from draft day norms for. But I don’t think that is going to happen.

I can’t stomach another defensive player in the first round unless it’s a d tackle that’s going to shut everything inside right down.

I’m not campaigning for a defensive player in the top five. I wouldn’t even take DeJean too five. If Barry is back, it would just ruin another career. If Barry is gone, we have enough talent.

But WR would be the worst decision when Love has no deep ball accuracy and can’t hit wide open receivers we already have.

• Like 2

Positionally, OT is more important than a WR and almost certainly more of a need for this team. Alt or Olu will be there if we’re top 5. 

Having said that, Maserati Marv is special. If he’s there, it would hurt to pass on him 

Edited by crfalker05
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, crfalker05 said:

Positionally, OT is more important than a WR and almost certainly more of a need for this team. Alt or Olu will be there if we’re top 5. 

Having said that, Maserati Marv is special. If he’s there, it would hurt to pass on him 

You can count on Gute to make the wrong choice.

Love isn't the whole problem on offense but he is one of the problems. He is not a rookie. If he doesn't have consistency in his 3rd year in an NFL offense he never will. Best to move on and take the best young QB you like if we are in the draft position. Either that or trade down and try to add influx in talent across the entire offense (I'm still a believer that the defense isn't near as bad talent wise as it has shown under Barry). Most likely the team will still be bad and we can draft a QB in future years but if the pick is so high we get one of those top talents I don't want to fall in that Vikings category where they are good enough to never draft the next top QB but too bad to really ever compete for a title. 

The majority seem to have given up on Love. I haven't, not yet. If he shows enough to leave us in doubt as to whether he is the answer, I'd go for starting next year with him and see if he can look different when everyone around him has more experience and counterintuitively to that, the O line is remade.

• Like 3

MHJ is a field tilter. The OT's in this draft are good, not great. You can get a good, not great tackle in round 2. There is no MHJ in round 2. 

If he's there, he's the best player in this draft regardless of position, you take him. I've always been on board with getting your WRs in round 2-3, but this dude is just different. 

If the Bears got him with Moore on the other side, they'd be scary, even with Fields at quarterback. 

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

The majority seem to have given up on Love. I haven't, not yet. If he shows enough to leave us in doubt as to whether he is the answer, I'd go for starting next year with him and see if he can look different when everyone around him has more experience and counterintuitively to that, the O line is remade.

Same here. I think most of the upper brass were prepared for a rebuilding year, given the $60M dead cap. I don't think we also planned on the $28M injured cap as well. I think Love is set up for (and deserves) a two year audition. I think move of us on this forum agree that GB's flaw is being too patient, rather than too aggressive, but it has benefits. I remember the early growing pains with Gary, Davante, and even Rodgers to an extent. 

Seems like the ideal move would be a trade down with someone moving up for a QB. Future draft picks in 2025 would be nice ammunition if QB is needed then.

2 hours ago, MacReady said:

I’m not campaigning for a defensive player in the top five. I wouldn’t even take DeJean too five. If Barry is back, it would just ruin another career. If Barry is gone, we have enough talent.

But WR would be the worst decision when Love has no deep ball accuracy and can’t hit wide open receivers we already have.

The long ball accuracy has certainly been his downfall so far. But that's what makes it even more important to get him ONE wide receiver who can adjust to passes while in the air and win contested catches. Watson is not it as his hands are more like a volleyball player going up at the net attempting to block a spike...and Doubs is back to showing inconsistent hands. It doesn't need to be Marvin Harrison, but he does need one. 

More than anything...we need new coaches that coach fundamentals hard...especially on the offensive line.

2 hours ago, Old Guy said:

MHJ is a field tilter. The OT's in this draft are good, not great. You can get a good, not great tackle in round 2. There is no MHJ in round 2. 

If he's there, he's the best player in this draft regardless of position, you take him. I've always been on board with getting your WRs in round 2-3, but this dude is just different. 

If the Bears got him with Moore on the other side, they'd be scary, even with Fields at quarterback. 

This. I understand preferring an OT, but there is a clear difference here. People complained about taking Vonnie Holliday over Randy Moss for years and years. It could very well end up being a similar situation. 

• Like 1

I'm down with MHJ, but only if Clifford is throwing to him.  

You haven't watched the OTs in this draft, admit it. There are 3 that are franchise caliber to me. Olu and Alt are dancing bears, and Fuaga moves players in the run game like I haven't seen in a long time.

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

You haven't watched the OTs in this draft, admit it. There are 3 that are franchise caliber to me. Olu and Alt are dancing bears, and Fuaga moves players in the run game like I haven't seen in a long time.

The kid from Penn State is dropping down most boards and I see why. Yes, I've watched both him and Alt. Alt solid to very good at run and pass blocking, he's not Anthony Munoz. I haven't watched the kid from Washington at all, I believe that is Fuaga.