The Good, The Bad, The no Caleb or Drake...

Totty

Good:

Have to give credit to the defense and Patrick Graham. They won this game. Without much talent, he has them playing inspired ball. Guys are gang tackling and making plays on the ball. 

Bad:

The offense is a dud. Can't run block. Can't pass block. QB can't push the ball down field and is turning it over. This offense has turned one of the top WRs in the game into a slant merchant.  

Ugly:

Coaching. Poor time clock management. No situational awareness. Redundant play calls. Obvious play calls. Not throwing the ball to the end zone once when the defense gives it to you on the 7 yard line.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nightmare said:

One of the most deflating wins I can remember. We mostly looked terrible - the OL is awful, our QB has very few redeeming qualities, and our HC continues to be an idiot that has no idea how to run his own offense or make key decisions during the game.

Worst thing is, we now have a very favorable run of games for the next 5 weeks - Patriots, @Bears, @Lions, Giants, Jets. Even this team will pick up at least a couple of wins here.

And so the purgatory continues. Not good enough to make the playoffs, but will play ourselves out of the top draft pick range. And worst of all, getting to 6 or 7 wins increases the chances we're stuck with JMD for another year.

Seeing as it's a Good, Bad & Ugly thread, though, it would be harsh not to single out Maxx Crosby for props. Just love watching that guy play, and what makes his contributions even more special is that he's basically a one-man gamewrecker at DL. He's dominating teams by himself. Incredible.

I don't think that is the problem so much as he can't open it up because he doesn't trust the QB he choose to run it. The Oline is a problem, but Jimmy G is limiting this offense. He should have 2-3 other balls picked last night. He has nothing on them. That duck to a wide open Mayer was pitiful. 

Agree on the latter. Long way to go, but favorable games coming up. Could end up stuck with JMD. If we are, hopefully he's self aware enough to see some glaring issues in his staff full of cronies. Like what the hell does Lombardi add as an OC for example? What does he add to the team? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I don't think that is the problem so much as he can't open it up because he doesn't trust the QB he choose to run it. The Oline is a problem, but Jimmy G is limiting this offense. He should have 2-3 other balls picked last night. He has nothing on them. That duck to a wide open Mayer was pitiful. 

Agree on the latter. Long way to go, but favorable games coming up. Could end up stuck with JMD. If we are, hopefully he's self aware enough to see some glaring issues in his staff full of cronies. Like what the hell does Lombardi add as an OC for example? What does he add to the team? 

Agree on the last part. He needs to get out of his own way. Can’t see it happening with his ego, but he needs to bring some fresh ideas to this offense quick.

And that Jimmy throw to Mayer was soooo ugly. It was like a comedy blooper!

The Good

Maxx Crosby playing at al All Pro level, he's literally affecting 50% of defensive plays and has really stepped up his game. Superb.

Josh Jacobs, the guy has such great vision, breaking tackles and is making the absolute most of what he has with little help. Superb.

Team is playing hard and is fully committed.

We made a bad QB look bad for once. So used to us making guys like Love look like Dan Marino out there. 

Like how we started out with playaction, spreading the ball to TEs and not staring down Adams. Pity we didn't dial up a deep shot or two.

Defence wasn't perfect but they were great on 3rd down, tackling much better (sans Peters) and a number of big plays. They had a big communication mix up early but after that I felt comfortable and they played very well. I just want to see what they look like with some interior pressure please!

Spillane and Deablo both had big games, were all over the field and did the simple things well, like catching the ball when they should.

Considering the injuries to Hobbs and Bennett, the Defensive Backs did a great job and credit to DC Graham. He takes a lot of flak and some deservedly so, but he called a great game today considering what he has at his disposal at DT and CB. 

I thought the refs were good today, we always criticise when they're bad but they should be commended when they're good too. 

The Bad

Garoppolo did some nice things but overall I think he sneaks into bad, terrible interception, missing relatively easy throws like the one to Mayer. He's really limiting this offence IMO, and even though the playcalling can be questioned he needs to let a couple deep balls fly early for once just to keep the D honest. If we we're paying him $7mil then fair enough but we're paying way too much for what he's producing frankly.

It seemed like pretty much every play there was at least 7 in the box and plenty of blitzes, very difficult to run in those conditions and the D again, clearly didn't respect our QB or was daring him to throw it. 

DTs were OK in run defence, didn't get blown off the line or washed out but basically nothing, absolutely nothing in pass rush.

OLine really struggled, I get that the Packers were blitzing and overloading but we've got to do better there, Garoppolo looked uncomfortable and nervous all game.

Renfrow being so underutilized. 

We're basically the antithesis of Al Davis' old Raiders............dink and dunk with zero big shots and no threat really, we seem impotent on offence.

Coaching. Now, I want to caveat this by saying some playcalls were great, and not all was bad but there were several very big and dubious calls to my eyes;

i) First, we QB sneak on 2nd and 1 when the whole playbook is open? If that doesn't show zero confidence in your QB I don't know what does.  

ii) 3rd and goal after the Spillane Interception and we throw passively into the flat with all the money we have invested into the weapons on offence? That to me is a 'don't turn the ball over, we'll take a FG' type play. Looked like it was a designed play but maybe Garoppolo didn't want to throw into the end zone? Faint heart never won fair lady!

iii) FG in the 4th quarter in their half with a 4th and 1 and a couple minutes remaining? Jacobs is going well, we look competent and the offence is driving reasonably well. Trust your high paid offence and finish the game there and then. Even if we kick the FG they can still win in one possession, really makes no sense to me?

Just before and after half time I though we had a chance to put the game firmly in our grasp. We intercept and give our offence the ball in the red zone and we come away with 3 instead of 7 and then first possession after half we throw an interception and the defence bails us out and concede a FG only. If we'd scored in the redzone and then even just got 3 that's a 20-3 game instead of 10-10, these one or two issues make a huge difference.

The Ugly

Our highly paid offence still can only put up 17 points, even with the D getting 2 interceptions and giving them good field position. 

People in this thread complaining and bitching about a win..........simply don't watch then, or go support another team. I don't give a flip about draft position, I want my team to win every week. Pathetic attitude.

Edited by Darbsk
  • Like 8

13 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Hammer, meet nail head 🙂

Good:

- Maxx was unreal. So glad for him that we got this win and it was pretty much down to him that we did.

- Moehrig is becoming what we thought he’d be when we drafted him. A solid all rounder who is now beginning to make a handful of positive plays each game

- Patrick Graham is edging towards respectability with the way he has managed to get the defense doing their part.  He’s not doing any more than that but that was always the deal given the lack of resources invested in that side. 

Bad:

- Peters apart from his part in the int. He plays so far off it’s an easy out for the QB so often and his tackling is a joke. He’s been a poor signing imo

Ugly:

- Aside from the odd play by a receiver - everything on offense. It looked early on that we might see some variety with Mayer getting a couple of looks but it very quickly turned back to the headless chicken ball that we’ve seen each week from McD and Jimmy. I am really struggling to see how they can make any real changes as they are the 2 most important pieces and their limitations are seemingly entrenched and unalterable 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

The Good

Maxx Crosby playing at al All Pro level, he's literally affecting 50% of defensive plays and has really stepped up his game. Superb.

Josh Jacobs, the guy has such great vision, breaking tackles and is making the absolute most of what he has with little help. Superb.

Team is playing hard and is fully committed.

We made a bad QB look bad for once. So used to us making guys like Love look like Dan Marino out there. 

Like how we started out with playaction, spreading the ball to TEs and not staring down Adams. Pity we didn't dial up a deep shot or two.

Defence wasn't perfect but they were great on 3rd down, tackling much better (sans Peters) and a number of big plays. They had a big communication mix up early but after that I felt comfortable and they played very well. I just want to see what they look like with some interior pressure please!

Spillane and Deablo both had big games, were all over the field and did the simple things well, like catching the ball when they should.

Considering the injuries to Hobbs and Bennett, the Defensive Backs did a great job and credit to DC Graham. He takes a lot of flak and some deservedly so, but he called a great game today considering what he has at his disposal at DT and CB. 

I thought the refs were good today, we always criticise when they're bad but they should be commended when they're good too. 

The Bad

Garoppolo did some nice things but overall I think he sneaks into bad, terrible interception, missing relatively easy throws like the one to Mayer. He's really limiting this offence IMO, and even though the playcalling can be questioned he needs to let a couple deep balls fly early for once just to keep the D honest. If we we're paying him $7mil then fair enough but we're paying way too much for what he's producing frankly.

It seemed like pretty much every play there was at least 7 in the box and plenty of blitzes, very difficult to run in those conditions and the D again, clearly didn't respect our QB or was daring him to throw it. 

DTs were OK in run defence, didn't get blown off the line or washed out but basically nothing, absolutely nothing in pass rush.

OLine really struggled, I get that the Packers were blitzing and overloading but we've got to do better there, Garoppolo looked uncomfortable and nervous all game.

Renfrow being so underutilized. 

We're basically the antithesis of Al Davis' old Raiders............dink and dunk with zero big shots and no threat really, we seem impotent on offence.

Coaching. Now, I want to caveat this by saying some playcalls were great, and not all was bad but there were several very big and dubious calls to my eyes;

i) First, we QB sneak on 2nd and 1 when the whole playbook is open? If that doesn't show zero confidence in your QB I don't know what does.  

ii) 3rd and goal after the Spillane Interception and we throw passively into the flat with all the money we have invested into the weapons on offence? That to me is a 'don't turn the ball over, we'll take a FG' type play. Looked like it was a designed play but maybe Garoppolo didn't want to throw into the end zone? Faint heart never won fair lady!

iii) FG in the 4th quarter in their half with a 4th and 1 and a couple minutes remaining? Jacobs is going well, we look competent and the offence is driving reasonably well. Trust your high paid offence and finish the game there and then. Even if we kick the FG they can still win in one possession, really makes no sense to me?

Just before and after half time I though we had a chance to put the game firmly in our grasp. We intercept and give our offence the ball in the red zone and we come away with 3 instead of 7 and then first possession after half we throw an interception and the defence bails us out and concede a FG only. If we'd scored in the redzone and then even just got 3 that's a 20-3 game instead of 10-10, these one or two issues make a huge difference.

The Ugly

Our highly paid offence still can only put up 17 points, even with the D getting 2 interceptions and giving them good field position. 

People in this thread complaining and bitching about a win..........simply don't watch then, or go support another team. I don't give a flip about draft position, I want my team to win every week. Pathetic attitude.

Dead on, from start to finish.

Jimmy G has missed so many opportunities and was supposed to be superb in the red zone, and it's not been any more effective in the RZ than Carr. All the bad aspects we expected, none of the good. 

Flip side, defense has played so much better. Keep Graham in the booth, I think they have something going here. Crosby is the best defensive player in the league, he is single handedly changing games. They need to keep the momentum going against the 32nd ranked offense this week.

• Like 2

Good:

Maxx, enuff said.

Defense getting interceptions. About damn time and Amik's was a beautiful. About time a DB turns around.

Finally getting TEs involved in the game. plan.

Not letting Love look like an elite QB.

Bad:

Oline is straight garbage. Zero push 

Jimmy Gs throw to Mayer. 

Run Defense initially letting Dillon look like a good RB.

Ugly:

Carlson misses. Know they ain't chip shots and the other got tip, but gota make those. Definitely seems off this season.

McDaniels play calling. Man offensive guru?? Every game this season play calling has been lackluster and bone headed.

All the green in the stadium.

Edited by OldManWillis
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I mean, you might be right that he doesn't trust the offense to execute properly- in fact, the number of trick plays like flea flickers and end arounds that we've started doing recently are probably testament to that. Thing is, though, McDaniels built this offense. Pursued this QB. Stuck with the OL that most could see was an issue.  Extended a guy in Renfrow that he has no intention of using.

The whole thing is so, so disjointed. And this was supposed to be the one area where McDaniels excelled.

Instead, the low talent defense is bailing him out. I agree with you that Patrick Graham actually deserves some credit here.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I noticed that jimmy arm is shot even a 10-15 yrd pass to Meyer just died mid air and he had to scrape it off the ground. Where aoc delivers it in stride and wr keeps running 

• Like 3

Good:

defense won this game offense just weak af

mayer got some looks lol

wilson looked active 

didn’t get embarrassed on mnf

ugly

smoke at halftime again 

jimmy arm

our offense is garbage 

jmd play calls and decisions 

carlson missing fgs (blame the snapper lol)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Deflating win against an equally bad opponent. 

This is not a good or well coached team, and we're probably going to be stuck with it. 

I liked this slightly better than the Denver win at least I can wear my raiders gear with pride again this week in nor cal

1 hour ago, Darbsk said:

👏👏👏👏👏 JUST WIN BABY

The Caleb Williams hype has gone to every fans bases heads this season. If you're not one of the contenders, fans want their teams to tank. Winning cures a lot and creates momentum. Draft position is just that, position. You can move up from there if you want to get your guy.

That said, my expectations go up with a win. Looking at the schedule, I want to see a nice streak and put them in the conversation in Nov. If they follow this up with a flop against a floundering Pats team, then it was all for nothing.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, reddevil said:

Ugly:

- Aside from the odd play by a receiver - everything on offense. It looked early on that we might see some variety with Mayer getting a couple of looks but it very quickly turned back to the headless chicken ball that we’ve seen each week from McD and Jimmy. I am really struggling to see how they can make any real changes as they are the 2 most important pieces and their limitations are seemingly entrenched and unalterable 

The early scripted offense, getting the ball to the TEs was working. Then he just went away from it. I firmly beleive Mayer can make plays and score weekly in the red zone if they get him involved. It's frustrating, because he is talented and polished as a receiver and he's not on the field in the red zone. 

• Like 3