2023 NFL Trade Deadline Discussion

49ersfan

I'm confused as to why Washington even wants to trade Sweat, unless he's some locker room cancer or something. He's a pretty darn good player, and good edge rushers don't exactly grow on trees. Sure, you're gonna get a decent pick for him more than likely, but you're more than likely going to have to use a decent pick to have any hope of replacing him with similar or better production.

If he were old I'd get it, but he's in his prime. Just bizarre to me.

6 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

I'm confused as to why Washington even wants to trade Sweat, unless he's some locker room cancer or something. He's a pretty darn good player, and good edge rushers don't exactly grow on trees. Sure, you're gonna get a decent pick for him more than likely, but you're more than likely going to have to use a decent pick to have any hope of replacing him with similar or better production.

Just a resource management issue from what I understand. They have both him and Young needing contracts.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

There are several reasons. The first is that they already have Jon Allen and Daron Payne signed to $20+ mil per year deals and have Chase Young in line for something similar. It isn't really feasible to have that much cap all tied up in the dline, so the idea is to get a pick and spread the cap out to other positions on the roster. Second, Sweat and Chase Young (and Kam Curl) are all set to be UFAs and it is unlikely we'd be able to retain all of them. The thought process is to trade one of them now and we can always franchise tag Young if need be. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

They probably want to convert some of that resource allocation off the DL. Keeping Young and Sweat means having 4 guys on the DL making $20M+, and it’s not like they’re leading the league in sacks every year or fielding a top 3 defense. Meanwhile they’re giving up a historical amount of sacks on the other side of the ball. 

They could afford both but the team’s probably better off using that money on a competent starter on the OL + a draft pick.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, scar988 said:

That’s gross. I want nothing to do with Kyler. Especially on that albatross of a contract. 

I am so sorry to bring this back up in this thread, but I honestly can't get over the fact that the guy who loves Desmond Ridder as a starting QB wants nothing to do with guys like Kyler Murray & Justin Fields 😂

Like it or not, Atlanta is in a position where they will likely have to do something "desperate" to secure a true franchise QB. 

• Like 3

"What are the Titans doing???" 

I think there's a few layers to this. First, fans tend to look at team management from the lens of multiple years & what's truly best for the team. What fans tend to forget -- & what the cruel reality of the sport is -- is that those employed at the top of these franchises don't care about that plan. They care about job security. "Tanking" doesn't offer job security. In fact, it lays the bricks to the runway for the discussion of canning you. 

So what can the Titans do? At 3-4 with 1 very promising game from your rookie QB, you can sell off all of your veteran assets for pennies on the dollar. Or you can simply ride with them this year, see if this team can't make an impressive comeback together rallying behind the rookie QB, & at the very least you provide Will Levis with a talented supporting cast that takes pressure off of him & makes the developmental process easier.  If teams aren't willing to offer the Titans more than what they might forecast to get back for these players via the compensatory formula, what's even the point? 

Fans too often think of these types of moves in a rudimentary way that suggests nothing is more important than draft capital & all players should develop into the player they should be regardless of path they take to get there. That's just not reality. The Titans are (presumptively) doing right by their franchise & their rookie QB by holding. 

Now, if we find out the Titans were being offered like a 3rd or a 4th+ for Henry, I'll flip my stance on this. That would be more than they'd likely see from a comp pick. 

Just now, SaveOurSonics said:

There's been a lot of smoke between the Seattle Seahawks & Carl Lawson of the Jets. 

We were interested in him when he was a FA. I'm hopeful the Frank Clark signing doesn't preclude us from adding more depth to that room. 

I think Lawson is a really worthwhile get for someone. 

I understand that he's been pretty brutal for the Jets, and that he did suffer an injury that may have significantly impacted his ability to play at a high level, but in terms of what it would cost to acquire him, I'd definitely take a shot that he just needs a change for whatever reason 

1 minute ago, Trentwannabe said:

Bills and Cowboys too.

Wonder what the cost may be with him being a Pending FA

I feel like I wouldn't be surprised if it involves a second, as crazy as it sounds for a rental. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Forge said:

Mike Silver and Ben Allbright both making indications that the 49ers are very interested in Jaylon Johnson 

3 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

Bills and Cowboys too.

Wonder what the cost may be with him being a Pending FA

Given how important he is, I would imagine a R1 pick (with a R3 pick coming back) isn't out of the realm of discussion....because he's hands down the best available CB right now, and the need is crazy high.   It's never about the straight value, as much as it's about the competition and desperation level of the highest bidder.  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1