2023 NFL Trade Deadline Discussion

49ersfan

19 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Moving on from Sweat for a 2nd was a good deal for Washington. Giving away Chase for a 3rd was not.

All they did was expedite the 3rd round comp pick they would've gotten for Chase, erased the injury risk they carried with that, & all but ensured they'll get a better draft pick this year. 

How is that a bad deal? 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, brownie man said:

Pretty active trade deadline

I didn't understand the Commanders trading both Dends

Chase to SF was a crazy move

idk how Sweat got more than Chase maybe Chicago played their hand bad. 

Chase is injury prone and this has been his only decent season to date. Teams trading for him viewed him as a rental piece, and dude is expected to want a massive contract in 2024. 

He hasn’t proven to be good or consistent enough to warrant much more than that, IMO.

35 minutes ago, SaveOurSonics said:

All they did was expedite the 3rd round comp pick they would've gotten for Chase, erased the injury risk they carried with that, & all but ensured they'll get a better draft pick this year. 

How is that a bad deal? 

No value whatsoever. Even with Washington wanting to rebuild, he's just 24 and has the potential to be a future building block. Letting go that sort of talent for a 3rd, whether it be a comp pick or an actual trade, is selling low. If they had been able to net something more valuable, sure - but if that was their best offer, they would've been better served keeping him and negotiating an extension.

He's a good young pass rusher who has finally been healthy enough to start flashing his potential. Those aren't the types of pieces you just part with (especially below value), even if you're rebuilding - they're the ones you build off of.

I understood moving on from Sweat... he was three years older, had far less upside/growth potential, and fetched a fair price. Conversely, the Chase move feels like they were committed to moving him no matter what, and the 49ers were able to take advantage of their desperation to do so before the deadline.

4 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

No value whatsoever. Even with Washington wanting to rebuild, he's just 24 and has the potential to be a future building block. Letting go that sort of talent for a 3rd, whether it be a comp pick or an actual trade, is selling low. If they had been able to net something more valuable, sure - but if that was their best offer, they would've been better served keeping him and negotiating an extension.

He's a good young pass rusher who has finally been healthy enough to start flashing his potential. Those aren't the types of pieces you just part with (especially below value), even if you're rebuilding - they're the ones you build off of.

The team who knows the player best, drafted him, is fully aware of his potential, sold him for about the least positive return on value that they could've gotten. That's the best 31 other teams were willing to offer. 

It's clear they didn't want the man in the building. We've heard several reasons as to perhaps why. It's not a guy they wanted to build around. They washed their hands clean of it. There's nothing wrong with recognizing sunk cost & getting something of value back. What your opinion of Chase Young is does not seem to be the consensus around the league. 

2 minutes ago, SaveOurSonics said:

It's clear they didn't want the man in the building. We've heard several reasons as to perhaps why. It's not a guy they wanted to build around. They washed their hands clean of it. There's nothing wrong with recognizing sunk cost & getting something of value back. What your opinion of Chase Young is does not seem to be the consensus around the league. 

Yup. That said more than anything else.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SaveOurSonics said:

The team who knows the player best, drafted him, is fully aware of his potential, sold him for about the least positive return on value that they could've gotten. That's the best 31 other teams were willing to offer. 

With respect, your argument could be used to justify every trade that has ever happened in the league.

"The team selling the player must know best, and no one else offered more."

ok then

Except teams do dumb **** all the time, and it is my opinion that this is one of them. Chase Young has looked great on the field this season; whatever the other reasons that the Commanders wanted to move on for such a low return cannot be commented on without knowing for certain) but most of what I've read seems fairly petty or inconsequential). Without knowing the precise reason, however, it just looks like a bad desperate move.

If you disagree you should probably provide actual reasons for thinking so

39 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Four seasons into his career and he's finally staying healthy, and now you want to bet he's gonna stay healthy is certainly a choice.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

With respect, your argument could be used to justify every trade that has ever happened in the league.

"The team selling the player must know best, and no one else offered more."

ok then

Except teams do dumb **** all the time, and it is my opinion that this is one of them. Chase Young has looked great on the field this season; whatever the other reasons that the Commanders wanted to move on for such a low return cannot be commented on without knowing for certain) but most of what I've read seems fairly petty or inconsequential). Without knowing the precise reason, however, it just looks like a bad desperate move.

Have I not provided actual reasons 😂

Other reasons are this is a team that is clearly looking for a full rinse with the new ownership group. They want a new name. They want new uniforms. They likely want a new Head Coach. They want to change the culture & rinse themselves of what was left behind. I respect that. If Chase Young was seen internally as part of that culture problem, that's all the reason in the world to part ways. 

They add draft capital in the process to build this team exactly how they want to. 

20 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Not really. They're trading a guy on a rookie deal who was a high 1st for a 3rd round pick. That says A LOT more than trading guys past that or nearing the end of their prime for roughly the same compensation.

It's very clear the Commies viewed Young as having a lot of red flags, primarily with injury + production.

4 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Not sure why the Vikings would even bother to make that trade. The only reason Dobbs was able to step right in with Arizona is because their OC came from the browns last year and ran similar plays. Now he has to learn an entire new playbook which will take weeks at that point they will be long out of any contention. They should have just signed someone. 

So we can beat Dobbs twice in one season

14 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

I’m not thrilled with the move either, but the only things they actually gave up are (a) 10 games of Chase Young on a non-contending team and (b) the opportunity to franchise him. 

Based on where they traded him — and based on the fact that apparently no one wanted to trade for him with the intention of extending him — they’ll likely still have the opportunity to sign him to a LTD if the new FO decides he’s worth it. Unlike with Sweat, they didn’t trade that option off the table with Chase.

Though the more I hear the term “addition by subtraction” coming out of Ashburn regarding this move, the less likely I think that probably is. 

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

I’m not thrilled with the move either, but the only things they actually gave up are (a) 10 games of Chase Young on a non-contending team and (b) the opportunity to franchise him. 

Based on where they traded him — and based on the fact that apparently no one wanted to trade for him with the intention of extending him — they’ll likely still have the opportunity to sign him to a LTD if the new FO decides he’s worth it. Unlike with Sweat, they didn’t trade that option off the table with Chase.

Though the more I hear the term “addition by subtraction” coming out of Ashburn regarding this move, the less likely I think that probably is. 

There is no justification for giving up Chase Young for a 3rd.  Sorry.  It's a horrible return to get a pick in the 80s.  Regardless of how you feel about his durability they did not get enough for him

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CasperX22 said:

There is no justification for giving up Chase Young for a 3rd.  Sorry.  It's a horrible return to get a pick in the 80s.  Regardless of how you feel about his durability they did not get enough for him

Okay. Given that you wouldn’t have taken any deal that was out there at this deadline, what would have been your next move?

2 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Injury prone 10 game rental that’s never put together a great season and is looking to get paid in the offseason.