Week 6: San Francisco 49ers at Cleveland Browns

J-ALL-DAY

The Eagles will be entering their own tough stretch (vs MIA, @ WAS[they've already given them a tough fight in Philly], and vs DAL), possibly without Lane Johnson until the bye. Then they have an even more brutal stretch of @ KC, vs BUF, vs us, @ DAL, and @ SEA, so there will hopefully be opportunities to gain ground on them including our own game. If we can lock up the division by sweeping Seattle, I'll begrudgingly root for them to help us out.

Not much we can do about the Lions, 

Edited by jonnguy2015

3 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

From the start to the bitter very end, this was one of the worst Shanahan 49ers games I've ever watched. And you know what? It is what it is.

There isn't much to take away from this game other than, Shanahan needs to learn how to use other pieces (Kittle) when CMC goes down. It felt like Shanny didn't know what to do when CMC was out. 

We can't win them all and I've penciled this game in as a loss going all the way back to the schedule release. Still sucks losing, especially the way we did, but now this team doesn't have to manufacture motivation each week. This loss was embarrassing and exposed a few things, a few fixable things. 

I feel sorry for the Vikings this week.

Meh, I wouldn't feel sorry for the Vikings....We need to get healthy for one and the Vikings are playing better ball. They will be ready.

Shanny needs to just adjust against aggressive, attacking defenses. Schwartz defense runs a wide-9 and always brings an extra defender in the box. Shanny needed to just have Purdy drop back with three WR sets and go to work that way. Purdy got going in the last drive with Shanny not doing anything special or getting creative. Flat out spread the Browns out an let Purdy do what he does best and that is dissect the defense and deliver to the open man. Those long developing plays does no good against this defense. I have no idea why it takes him so long to adjust and how he can't figure out why he always struggles against Schwartz's defenses. 

Edited by J-ALL-DAY
  • Like 2

Yeah, it was always going to be rough against Cleveland's defense. They have the best coverage unit metrics in the NFL so far with skill at every level and a tremendous front. And the weather wasn't perfect. Plus, they had the whole bye week to prepare for us.

So that was a perfect storm on that front and the offense in the second half buried itself in penalties, giving themselves no real chance to make progress. Also, the press man threw off Brock's timing and anticipation. We managed to get some cleaner releases on the last drive, but it was a struggle for most of the day. And the screens and running game were just eaten up by excellent preparation. We won't face a better defense all year. The Eagles and Cowboys have the front, but their coverage units have hemorrhaged open looks.

On the other side, the defense just faced too many drives. Really liked Randy Gregory. He was one of the few players that seemed to be playing with some real urgency on a day where we felt like we were sleepwalking a bit.

Long story short - this game would be a one off: most good teams found themselves struggling to separate given the weather this week. But the injury to Trent really hampers things. Game planning around one tackle is fine. But two with one of them being Moore might be too much for a bit. But Kyle has handled his business with rough tackles before. And as long as we have Purdy and Aiyuk (and aren't playing a historically great defense in bad weather), I think that we'll score points. We won't be on the Greatest Show on Turf pace without Trent, but we'll score points.

• Like 3

I forgot the Browns had the BYE week to prepare. I rewatched the game, and this loss is really not that bad at all. 49ers just seemed really out of sync on offense (penalties, drops, misfires) in addition to playing against a great defense. The nasty conditions didn't do both teams any favors, in addition to the stack of penalties generated by the officiating crew. 49ers defense still looked remarkable, and Randy Gregory made an impact in his first game. I'm not even ticked at Shanahan's decision making for the most part. Just seemed like the players had trouble executing in this one. 

I at least expect the offense to look a lot better playing against the Vikings in their dome. It will be super loud though, but nothing Purdy and crew haven't experienced to this point. Mason is a dog, and needs more put on his plate if CMC is out. He could have a field day against Minnesota.

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

13 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

I forgot the Browns had the BYE week to prepare. I rewatched the game, and this loss is really not that bad at all. 49ers just seemed really out of sync on offense (penalties, drops, misfires) in addition to playing against a great defense. The nasty conditions didn't do both teams any favors, in addition to the stack of penalties generated by the officiating crew. 49ers defense still looked remarkable, and Randy Gregory made an impact in his first game. I'm not even ticked at Shanahan's decision making for the most part. Just seemed like the players had trouble executing in this one. 

I at least expect the offense to look a lot better playing against the Vikings in their dome. It will be super loud though, but nothing Purdy and crew haven't experienced to this point. Mason is a dog, and needs more put on his plate if CMC is out. He could have a field day against Minnesota.

It hurts when you're playing against your opponent and the refs at the same time.

It was a very sloppy game with a lot of stupid penalties, too.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, N4L said:

It is, but I wanted them to run one more play. It would have been the perfect time for a deebo run, but Mason has been running really well recently. 

With the wind, the rain, and the fact moody missed a kick earlier in the game, we should have tried to get as close as possible. 

I know Mason has fumbled some in camp but Fred and greenlaw are monsters when it comes to punching the ball out. Correct me if I am wrong but he didn't have a fumbling issue in college? 

I understand the idea behind keeping the TO and an extra play in case it's a bad snap or whatever, but pepper has been very reliable. I just don't think the risk of a bad snap / fumble was greater than the reward of getting closer given the fact we have a rookie kicker and it's rainy/windy. 

Kyle has talked about how he doesn't practice with wet footballs. We have had some really bad QB play in the rain. Hopefully Purdy takes it upon himself to get that sorted out. Needs some stickum on the hands or some gloves. He needs to practice with that occasionally to get used to it. It's hard not to be considered that he is not a good "bad weather QB"

I don't think it had anything to do with a bad snap... I think he was protecting against putting himself in a worse position. Run a play and something stupid happens and you lose 4 yards on a run and that kick is even harder. Odds are, nothing super bad is going to happen, but bottom line is that it's 41 yards. You have to make that kick. Your expectation at 41 yards is that your kicker should make it. You should not be having to worry about getting your guy closer than 41 yards, and if you are, he's not your guy. 

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Forge said:

I think the Loins could go 14-3, that schedule is pretty soft the rest of the way. I think 12-5 or 13-4 are more likely, but I wouldn't be shocked if they pulled out a 14-3 record 

That Detroit team doesn't really scare me. A good team that's ascending, no doubt. But neither Goff nor that defense has me worried if they were indeed, the #1 seed.

It'd be great to get the bye, but I never really look at that as an attainable goal for this team. We're such a physical team, on both sides of the ball. Several of our difference makers on offense (Deebo, Juice, CMC, Kittle) play with high physicality engrained into their skillset. Injuries are bound to happen to those types of players. 

And missing talent will play a factor in a couple of losses, here and there in any given season.

I will always be more concerned about being as healthy as possible to start the playoffs than getting caught up in trying to be the #1 seed and obtaining the bye. 

It would be nice, but I don't know how realistic of a goal that is for this team considering how we play the game.

5 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

That Detroit team doesn't really scare me. A good team that's ascending, no doubt. But neither Goff nor that defense has me worried if they were indeed, the #1 seed.

It'd be great to get the bye, but I never really look at that as an attainable goal for this team. We're such a physical team, on both sides of the ball. Several of our difference makers on offense (Deebo, Juice, CMC, Kittle) play with high physicality engrained into their skillset. Injuries are bound to happen to those types of players. 

And missing talent will play a factor in a couple of losses, here and there in any given season.

I will always be more concerned about being as healthy as possible to start the playoffs than getting caught up in trying to be the #1 seed and obtaining the bye. 

It would be nice, but I don't know how realistic of a goal that is for this team considering how we play the game.

Disagree, it is definitely realistic for this team. Being a physical team will lead to some injuries, but this team has more high level players than any other team in the league so you can overcome some of those injuries....As long as they aren't season enders.

We need to win the next two games and get to 7-1 at the bye week. Then I feel pretty confident with finishing with a 14-3 or 13-4 record and that will give us a great chance to be the #1 seed. 

13 minutes ago, Forge said:

I don't think it had anything to do with a bad snap... I think he was protecting against putting himself in a worse position. Run a play and something stupid happens and you lose 4 yards on a run and that kick is even harder. Odds are, nothing super bad is going to happen, but bottom line is that it's 41 yards. You have to make that kick. Your expectation at 41 yards is that your kicker should make it. You should not be having to worry about getting your guy closer than 41 yards, and if you are, he's not your guy. 

Agreed.

Even marginal NFL kickers make that kick in their sleep.

No excuse for Moody, rookie or not.

It's 8 yards further than an extra point...absolutely no excuses.

ESPECIALLY considering they spent a 3rd rounder on Moody.

Not his fault, I know.

But that's the reality every time he falls short in a range where he should be money.

14 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Eagles aren't going 14-3, so do you think the Lions will go 14-3? I think we probably finish with that type of record but the other NFC top teams will take their fair share of losses as well. Lions just have a ridiculously easy schedule so that's the team that can finish with a great record. 

I don't fear the Lions in the same manner as the Eagles or even Cowboys & Seahawks. 

Right now the Niners most difficult game is at Philly and then the 2 with Seattle and the one with Baltimore on Christmas. Also the Rams game may be another trap game.

Let's hope the Eagles drop some games to get the help. I would imagine the Lions start to drop some games they're expected to win as I know they're good but not SB good.

4 minutes ago, NFL Network said:

I don't fear the Lions in the same manner as the Eagles or even Cowboys & Seahawks. 

Right now the Niners most difficult game is at Philly and then the 2 with Seattle and the one with Baltimore on Christmas. Also the Rams game may be another trap game.

Let's hope the Eagles drop some games to get the help. I would imagine the Lions start to drop some games they're expected to win as I know they're good but not SB good.

If you are not afraid of the Lions going 14-3, then there is a good chance that no other team goes 14-3 either. The Eagles WILL lose games. They aren't a super impressive team or a super dominant team. They are dealing with some injuries and they have a brutal schedule coming up.

If we win the next two games, we will be in great position to get the #1 seed. 

My biggest regret after the game was not how much alcohol I consumed, but that I left a window open in the house.  I'm pretty sure some of the neighbor's kids learned some new words yesterday after some of those calls/no-calls by the refs.  Sorry, Greg and Marcie.

I was pretty confident about this game.  I knew it wasn't going to be a blowout, but I didn't expect the wind to make that much of a difference on throws/kicks, injuries to numerous key players, some of the worst calls at key moments, and play calling looking straight up vanilla and repetitive(probably due to the injuries).  But, there's always a game like this every season.  I guess the silver lining was that it happened against an AFC team and the Eagles and Seahawks lost.

I think it's safe to say that our O-line is a glaring weakness.  Yeah, Purdy was having a tough game against a stout defense and the wind looked like it was altering some throws just enough to miss, but he was also running for his life or getting swarmed immediately.  Props to the Browns' defense, but we should be able to mitigate some of it at least.  

Also, props to PJ.  I honestly thought our defense would be keeping him awake all night last night.  I thought he did a great job all things considered.  

• Like 2