"Tank" talk

PrplChilPill

I don't want to pollute other threads, especially game day threads, with talk of "tanking." This thread is about that, though. So if it pisses you off, don't read on!

I think that anyone that isn't part of the future should be dealt. Even Osborn. This team is done for the year, and they need to build for the future. The sooner they realize that and move on, the more likely they can fix things. Letting Hunter walk for nothing does nothing for this team, this year or next year. Yes, this year would not be a fun journey, but as an organization, it is their job to fix the team, not to worry about 2/3 of a lost season. They've sold all the tickets they are likely to sell at this point....

I'd not deal any OL or Addison or JJ or Hockenson. Everyone else is free to be moved on O, not that any of them have much if any value. Also, I see no way they deal Kirk. Teams don't deal for QBs in the middle of a year, and I don't see him agreeing to any deal that doesn't include a three year extension at a big number. 

On d? I keep Pace and um, not sure I care about any other starter? Probably keep and sign Bynum if I can. Is there another defensive starter that helps this team past 2024? I'd try to deal Hunter and a 3rd for a first.....

Frankly, I don't see much value coming back for any of these players other than Hunter and maybe Davenport (though I doubt this also). So, if they don't deal guys other than Hunter, I don't know that it matters a lot. How many 5th round picks (which is likely the best they can get for anyone not named Hunter) really matter?

Given that last sentence, I'm doubtful they deal anyone but Hunter, frankly. There just isn't much value there.

• Like 1

I think the word "tanking" leaves a bad taste in peoples' mouths - the team should be trying to win every week. Tanking implies that they aren't doing that (Ala AZ).

I don't think that selling pieces that are of diminishing value for the team in the short OR long term is the same as tanking. I can understand the front office seeing the writing on the wall and doing their best to prepare for the future, even if it isn't what I would do. Without a really strong coaching staff and committed core veterans, that kind of franchise management can push players and staff into a losing mindset quickly, and it isn't easy to recover from.

I personally like the risk that KAM is taking. It's definitely a riskier proposition to "build the plane while you fly it", but the potential payoff is sustained success without planning to fail for multiple seasons, which is what I presume most fans want. You can't win it all every year, but a realistic shot at competing for titles every year is the ultimate baseline that fans should want.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

I think the word "tanking" leaves a bad taste in peoples' mouths - the team should be trying to win every week. Tanking implies that they aren't doing that (Ala AZ).

I don't think that selling pieces that are of diminishing value for the team in the short OR long term is the same as tanking. I can understand the front office seeing the writing on the wall and doing their best to prepare for the future, even if it isn't what I would do. Without a really strong coaching staff and committed core veterans, that kind of franchise management can push players and staff into a losing mindset quickly, and it isn't easy to recover from.

I personally like the risk that KAM is taking. It's definitely a riskier proposition to "build the plane while you fly it", but the potential payoff is sustained success without planning to fail for multiple seasons, which is what I presume most fans want. You can't win it all every year, but a realistic shot at competing for titles every year is the ultimate baseline that fans should want.

I'm accepting of the plan, I just don't agree with keeping Hunter mostly, as I think he's gone and they aren't good this year. They just aren't. I doubt anyone else moves a needle at all....

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

Also, 100% yes, the team should try to win on the field, 100%. The FO should be building a long term competitor, which they are not this year. 

You make all these changes in the off season.  I would want them to keep this team intact for the remainder of the season.  Getting rid of valued players during the season is waving the white flag...surrendering...tanking.  "Did the Americans tank after the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?" (Paraphrasing that great American and statesman, Senator Blutarsky)

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

Also, 100% yes, the team should try to win on the field, 100%. The FO should be building a long term competitor, which they are not this year. 

This is the big thing.  I think a lot of people want them to actively try to lose on Sunday which they should never do imo. It's different if the front office trades a player or 2 away to get assets and save money for the next season

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Captain Relax said:

You make all these changes in the off season.  I would want them to keep this team intact for the remainder of the season.  Getting rid of valued players during the season is waving the white flag...surrendering...tanking.  "Did the Americans tank after the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?" (Paraphrasing that great American and statesman, Senator Blutarsky)

There's a goal to each season. Once that goal is out of reach, it makes sense towards the next season.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Captain Relax said:

You can't trade guys that aren't on the team. Also, NFL teams are way too conservative with mid season trades. If your team is better than thought, and you need a DE, you should be calling about Hunter every day.  I'm curious, do you really think keeping Hunter and getting nothing is better than getting a second round pick? It's fine if so, we'll just disagree

Despite being 1-4, the Vikings are still very much in the playoff race. It’s not the start everyone wanted, but most people said the first 5 games of the season would be the toughest stretch. I think the optimistic fans thought they’d be 3-2, while the more realistic fans were saying 2-3. 

There’s a very real possibility that the Vikings will be favored to win 7, or even 8, of their next 9 games. This is the stretch where they can make up ground. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

The goal isn't out of reach until you've officially been eliminated.  The road may be harder to get there, however.

The Carolina game really hurt the chances, but you are right, the season is long, and the Vikings are not eliminated from the top pick yet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

The goal isn't out of reach until you've officially been eliminated.  The road may be harder to get there, however.

so, no trades before the deadline? That would be bad for most teams....

People really think a 1-4 team w/o their best player can make the playoffs, with a 4-1 team in their division? What would it take to not think they can make the playoffs (see the odds at this point.....)?