2023-2024 NBA GDT: Offseason

11sanchez11

47 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Well if Hurley doesn't go to the Lakers, they won't have a Ferrari, hence why they also have stated they are interested in Monty.  We could say we are going to keep him but if they want him we would send him there for a future 2nd and get out of paying him.  Or agree to pay half of it or something.

it just feels like a situation where the lakers call the bluff and laugh if they really do keep him

I actually kinda low-key like this potential fit.  The Lakers need to think more long-term, and the constant turnover at the HC position drains the franchise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Typical cheap lakers. 70M isn’t anything special anymore. 

Hurley is going for a threepeat at one of the most prestigious programs in the nation. It would be one thing if he can pull a Phil and take a good Lakers team to the next level, but these Lakers are years away from true contention.

Why risk your reputation for something like that?

1 hour ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Typical cheap lakers. 70M isn’t anything special anymore. 

Cheap?  That makes him a top 5 paid HC and he's never coached in the NBA.  Kerr, Popovich, and Spoelstra are going to be the only HCs making $15M+.  You got Monty Williams at $13M/year and then Budenholzer at $10M/year.

22 minutes ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

Hurley is going for a threepeat at one of the most prestigious programs in the nation. It would be one thing if he can pull a Phil and take a good Lakers team to the next level, but these Lakers are years away from true contention.

Why risk your reputation for something like that?

Which is why the lakers are a joke. If you’re trying to pry someone away from a situation like that you need to come in with an overwhelming offer. Monte Williams got 100M. You don’t offer the best college coach 70. 

48 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Which is why the lakers are a joke. If you’re trying to pry someone away from a situation like that you need to come in with an overwhelming offer. Monte Williams got 100M. You don’t offer the best college coach 70. 

*78 million, but I agree with your post.  The Lakers lowballed him.  I dont think he turns down 90-100 million if he was offered that. 

Edited by Texansfan713

8 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

*78 million, but I agree with your post.  The Lakers lowballed him.  I dont think he turns down 90-100 million if he was offered that. 

Seriously doubt it was about the money.  He's more likely thinking about the 2nd half of that 6 year deal where Lebron is likely gone and the roster is in shambles and needs to be rebuilt from the ground up.  Why would he want to do that (and with Pelinka no less lol)?   If he really wants to go to the NBA, there will be better situations to choose from if he's patient.

11 hours ago, thrILL! said:

Seriously doubt it was about the money.  He's more likely thinking about the 2nd half of that 6 year deal where Lebron is likely gone and the roster is in shambles and needs to be rebuilt from the ground up.  Why would he want to do that (and with Pelinka no less lol)?   If he really wants to go to the NBA, there will be better situations to choose from if he's patient.

Disagree.

If youre LA, youre still pulling top tier FA's when they hit the market. Hurley was brought in for his ability to build a program and theyve flopped on drafting fairly recently (last 3 sucked overall. Christie hasnt materialized into anything).

Pelinka cant draft, but hes done a decent job of building out the roster around the deadline minus Russ, which we all know was LeBrons call.

Hurley felt disrespected by the money is my guess.

20 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

Disagree.

If youre LA, youre still pulling top tier FA's when they hit the market. Hurley was brought in for his ability to build a program and theyve flopped on drafting fairly recently (last 3 sucked overall. Christie hasnt materialized into anything).

Pelinka cant draft, but hes done a decent job of building out the roster around the deadline minus Russ, which we all know was LeBrons call.

Hurley felt disrespected by the money is my guess.

I highly doubt he was disrespected.  But it wasn't enough to make him change the course of his career.  Izzo made the same choice in the early 2010s to not go to Cleveland for more money.  Sometimes guys like the comfort and style of position they are in and they have more than enough money to not be swayed by an extra million or two.  He is in a position he could stay forever and never worry about being fired and be one of the all time great college coaches.  Or he can go pro and probably not change too much for the trajectory of the Lakers, cash checks and maybe be a great pro coach.  But for most guys who make the jump it doesn't work out and they are back in the college game with a tainted legacy.  Not to mention how different it is coaching pro's vs college.  In college you have a say over who is on your team, you get turnover often and can build it in your vision and kids are more coachable. The pro's you are dealing with more ego management, have less impact on the game, and have a lot less say on roster build.  My guess is his style wouldn't work as well in the pros and he knew it and wanted to stay in college.