The Michigan/Sign Stealing & COVID Punishment Thread

BobbyPhil1781

17 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

This is a friggin soap opera at this point

Hiring your family is kind of scummy, and the leaking is not defensible, but on the face of it I don't see anything wrong with Ohio State wanting to hire a PI firm to substantiate their allegations as a form of double checking before going to the NCAA/B1G.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

If I were the University of Michigan I would be doing it for the same reasons. I find their lack of involvement (that we know about) in this entire situation a bit strange. 

OSUs own staff and admin offices were the ones who ratted Tressel out to the NCAA by exposing his emails, then their own blog called The Lantern posted a additional scathing article about players/benefits which then resulted in him retiring from football. So in that saga, it was OSU who did all of the leg work against their own HC to get him fired in 2011.

Im waiting to see some of the same from the University of Michigan. Are they going to get involved at any point here and dig into their own employees/staff since all of this was being orchestrated under their own roof? They have surveillance cameras on campus, they have access to their employees emails and any other device supplies/issues by the University. Where are they at in all of this? If this operation was as big as many reports claim--you better believe there are emails and/or text messages out there.

OSU thought they could get a deal if they self-reported. We really can't compare program responses in the pre-NIL and post-NIL eras because virtually no team is going to comply with an NCAA investigation at this point (lol Mizzou).

Keep in mind, the power element here goes both ways. For every incentive the B1G has to get their hands on this and issue a ruling, the NCAA is similarly incentivized to not share information and keep discipline with them as much as possible. I think the B1G has a really uphill battle here.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Hiring your family is kind of scummy, and the leaking is not defensible, but on the face of it I don't see anything wrong with Ohio State wanting to hire a PI firm to substantiate their allegations as a form of double checking before going to the NCAA/B1G.

If your family isn’t qualified to do it, it’s scummy, brother was a former DEA agent, so I would think he is qualified. 
my question is why does it matter if this was started by day if so? Sounds like day might have wanted proof of it before taking it to the conference office or ncaa offices.

• Like 1

Just now, buno67 said:

If your family isn’t qualified to do it, it’s scummy, brother was a former DEA agent, so I would think he is qualified. 
my question is why does it matter if this was started by day if so? Sounds like day might have wanted proof of it before taking it to the conference office or ncaa offices.

Still would be less scummy to hire a PI with no personal relationship IMO. But I also think it's weird people know their doctor.

3 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Still would be less scummy to hire a PI with no personal relationship IMO. But I also think it's weird people know their doctor.

Im sure 99% of this is Uber personal with Day. Harbaugh has made comments about it being hard to keep up with cheaters (2018), the whole born on third base thing, used Covid to dodge OSU in 2020 after some other comments despite breaking those protocols for recruiting, and then somehow knew all the plays and started winning, then stood atop the mountain while throwing stones. And here we are.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Michigan would fight any interim or indefinite suspension tooth and nail. And from the sound of those calls, the B1G leadership is trying to herd cats so there isn't a call for quick action.

The way to speed this up is to see if there's one slam dunk thing they can get Michigan for and issue a final ruling on immediately. Then the NCAA/B1G can wrap the rest of the investigations up while Michigan serves the first sentence. The cheeseburger, hilariously enough, is gonna be useful here (I ******* love this scandal so much). But in all seriousness, Harbaugh got caught dead in a lie and they've already litigated it. Throw the book at him, re-write the rules so that we don't have to suspend the next coach who spends $10 to feed a recruit for a year, and make sure the investigations on the other stuff move quickly enough that he scurries up to the NFL

The thing I don't get is that the in person recruiting is against the rules.  There is 100% evidence that an employee of the UM football program was scouting in person and/or paying people to scout in person with receipts.  That seems like enough to call for a post season ban this year by the Big 10.  If the investigation uncovers more details of the cover up, the extent that Harbaugh was a part of it, and evidence they assisted other teams like South Carolina last year or CMU this year, they can still bring the hammer down later on Harbaugh and the whole program.  I think it is more than fair with the evidence that has been public for the Big 10 to make a move now and not have that be their final answer.  A integrity of the game ruling based on them breaking that rule mixed with other investigations going on is a slam dunk.  The letting them play out and advance to a playoff or win a Heisman in a season in which they have cheated is more unfair to the rest of the country than any ban on UM would be unfair to UM this year.  

3 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Because for the rest of time, you're a snitch. The NCAA is still going after Harbaugh for expensing a cheeseburger, they suck, and everyone knows by the letter of the law every single school is dirty or has been dirty.

Let he who is not without sin cast the first stone kinda deal.

Slippery slope of paranoia. Just because you know they are stealing signs doesn't mean you know which ones, how thorough they are about it, etc.

Making kids re-learn all of the signs week to week probably opens up more room for execution errors than just dealing with the fact that Michigan is gonna have an advantage on a handful of plays.

Head coaches aren't responsible for setting game security, that's contracted with local PD or university PD or private security. The coach would need to explain why, and "football espionage" is gonna lead to follow up questions big time.

All valid points 

4 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

What makes no sense to me:

Why would Day's brother do something illegal, basically committing career suicide, to do this?

Unless I'm missing something, this is a very valid question

I dont know whats harder to follow at this point, this cheating scandal or the NBAs new in season tournament rules.

What happened? Ryan Days brother hired a PI because they knew UM was cheating and the PI found out they were and thats how all this started?

2 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

The thing I don't get is that the in person recruiting is against the rules.  There is 100% evidence that an employee of the UM football program was scouting in person and/or paying people to scout in person with receipts.  That seems like enough to call for a post season ban this year by the Big 10.  If the investigation uncovers more details of the cover up, the extent that Harbaugh was a part of it, and evidence they assisted other teams like South Carolina last year or CMU this year, they can still bring the hammer down later on Harbaugh and the whole program.  I think it is more than fair with the evidence that has been public for the Big 10 to make a move now and not have that be their final answer.  A integrity of the game ruling based on them breaking that rule mixed with other investigations going on is a slam dunk.  The letting them play out and advance to a playoff or win a Heisman in a season in which they have cheated is more unfair to the rest of the country than any ban on UM would be unfair to UM this year.  

Lol this is hilarious. What in the world gives you the idea that in person scouting caries a post season ban? That’s not the go to for punishment for breaking random rules, especially one’s the ncaa has previous admitted to not considering a serious infraction.  Everyone wants the big10 to react to there feelings.  

18 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

You have to also think (as Im sure the committee is too) that this is Michigans like...4th scandal in the past 3 years under Harbaugh. That Im sure is going to weigh in to the decision.

They have had recruiting violations and suspensions for improper benefits, they have the FBI after Weiss for computer access crimes, they have a ex-marine sneaking onto the field of opposing teams sidelines with spyglasses on and correct me if Im wrong here but didnt they also have a scandal a few years back of one of their guys changing the student grades of certain players by hacking into the schools system? 

That is a helluva lot of 'stuff' happening around a single program in very short amount of time and how they have survived ALL of this with only Harbaugh getting a 3 game suspension thus far against meaningless teams is crazy.

Some Michigan fans can try to downplay it all they want but if the shoe was on the other foot and they found out MSU was potentially hacking into their schools cloud server to steal YEARS worth of practice footage to gain an advantage, let alone buying tickets to their games against the NCAA rules to sit at the 50 yard line  e i g h t different games of theirs--- UM fans would rioting in the streets of East Lansing right now.

Again with the practice video stuff. Where is this coming from? People just throw **** against the wall and the mob runs with it. Is there any evidence of this ? And you obviously aren’t familiar with east Lansing they riot and burn the place down there god dam-n selves ( I’ve participated lol) 

7 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

But if the WaPo had done it, it would have been okay right? I think you referenced them in the past. 

You guys just love that I referenced the WaPo after bagging on the national media and in particular Pete Thamel’s complete lack of fact checking or sourcing beyond Ryan Day’s people and calling some of you sheep for buying it all without question.  The WaPo reported the initial story that the ncaa had been given information off a private server obtained by an investigation firm. That’s why I referenced them. 

4 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

So....what relevance does who told have on them doing what they did? That is weird...

because they potentially committed  a felony for starters. Beyond that I think we can all admit most college programs have some skeletons somewhere and if we are just going to go Wild West and start hiring PI’s to investigate every school we can’t beat to turn up something there doing against the rules we aren’t going to have any teams left.  

Again it’s media frenzy, PR and feelings. Just because some rules were broken doesn’t make them major infractions.  

Edited by BigC421/