2024 Draft Debate and Discussion

Epyon

2 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

Newton was healthy all last season and didn't miss any time because of an injury, at least IIRC. I think a lot of times players like this, especially one that is seen as such a high pick and as close to a lock being one as possible, are more likely to get little procedures done prior to the draft and getting to the league so they don't have stuff they're dealing with in their rookie season. this surgery/injury has with Newton specifically has been a variable since january/february and it hasn't affected his stock at all really, just the normal fluctuations of pre-draft media/league movement.

so to answer your question - i think it's guys just wanting to make sure everything is squared away medically and trying to be proactive in taking care of things that might be questionable prior to the draft. I would much rather it happen now than over the summer and have them miss time, which is probably their thinking as well

The timing is totally sensible,  my concern would be like DLL's; he's not played football after surgery and it's a complicated part of the body that they really really need to work.   If nothing else you have to build in the possibility that he's going to take longer to come online in the NFL as he gets used to moving on it again. 

Really like him as a prospect but if they are thinking about him at 9 I'd rather a whole bunch of other moves and the surgery is part of it. 

25 minutes ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

The timing is totally sensible,  my concern would be like DLL's; he's not played football after surgery and it's a complicated part of the body that they really really need to work.   If nothing else you have to build in the possibility that he's going to take longer to come online in the NFL as he gets used to moving on it again. 

Really like him as a prospect but if they are thinking about him at 9 I'd rather a whole bunch of other moves and the surgery is part of it. 

i think both Murphy and Newton would be targets after a short trade back, not at 9

Not too sure if its Thread-worthy, sooo many similar threads already, but I would love a place to keep track of top-30 visits...

So far:

Caleb Williams

Brock Bowers 

Dallas Turner

Zach Frazier

Kiran Amegadjie

Nehemiah Prichett

Dylan Laube 

any others ??

• Like 1

I think we can all agree Caleb Williams is going #1 overall to us.

#9 I'm just not sure what I want to happen vs. what I think will happen.

4 QBs (Williams, Daniels, Maye, McCarthy)
2 WRs go (Nabers, Harrison Jr.)
1 OT goes (Alt)
----------------------------------------------------------------

That's 7 off the board, which leaves:

WR: Odunze, Mitchell, Thomas Jr.
DE: Turner, Verse, Latu
OT: Fautanu, Fuaga, Fashanu
DT: Newton, Murphy,

I dunno... a trade down could be in the cards if we don't have Odunze, Turner or Verse in a tier above the rest.

I see a good possibility of Poles sticking to the 4 pick draft this year and stacking the offense (WR at 9) for 2 primary reasons:

1. Give Williams as many weapons as possible.

2. In case Allen bolts which is a possibility, however premature it may be right now.

8 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Another month of mocking Caleb and Odunze to Bears.

Correction: another month of mocking Caleb and then vacillating between Odunze and a trade down.  The trade down makes so much sense but Odunze just seems like such a solid guy to have on the field for a rookie QB.   

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

Correction: another month of mocking Caleb and then vacillating between Odunze and a trade down.  The trade down makes so much sense but Odunze just seems like such a solid guy to have on the field for a rookie QB.   

I am just going to go with whatever happens.

• Like 3

Bowers is a top 3-5 prospect and has a 30 visit 

I understand that taking a TE in the Top 10 is not the same 'rookie deal contract value' as a WR in top 10, but the TaLENT is ridiculous and helps Caleb ALOT  ...why does everyone assume he is oFF our board ???

4 hours ago, SLCbear said:

Bowers is a top 3-5 prospect and has a 30 visit 

I understand that taking a TE in the Top 10 is not the same 'rookie deal contract value' as a WR in top 10, but the TaLENT is ridiculous and helps Caleb ALOT  ...why does everyone assume he is oFF our board ???

Because the Bears already have 2 solid TE. They have no WR depth after Moore and Allen.

2 hours ago, refundmytickets said:

Because the Bears already have 2 solid TE. They have no WR depth after Moore and Allen.

Yes and vERY good chance all 3 WRs are gone before 9  ...and our new OC, who we hope is around for a while, runs HEAVY 12 & 13.

You would pass on quite possibly the greatest TE prospect EvER, who compliments Kmet perfectly!, because of Everett ?? 

Edited by SLCbear

3 minutes ago, SLCbear said:

Yes and vERY good chance all 3 WRs are gone before 9  ...and our new OC, who we want to be around for a while runs HEAVY 12 & 13.

You would pass on quite possibly the greatest TE prospect EvER, who compliments Kmet perfectly!, because of Everett ?? 

I don't think Everett is someone worth missing on an elite prospect, but IDK what Poles and Co found with the medicals either.

If all 3 WRs are gone as well, you're looking at 3 WRs, 4 QBs, and then you only have 1 EDGE or OT off the board. It would likely end up with someone like Fashanu or Alt being available, which helps the offense regardless of the personnel. IF Poles lets Flus make a request then we likely will see an EDGE alongside Williams.

As long as it isn't a headscratcher then I'm content enough. Poles has done enough I have quite a bit of trust in him.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, SLCbear said:

If teams actually think he’s the best TE prospect ever then he almost surely won’t make it to 9 anyway. I don’t personally see him as any better of a prospect than Pitts or Hockenson or Vernon Davis. That’s not a slight to Bowers either - all those guys were elite prospects - but they all went top 8 too. 

• Like 1