2024 Draft Debate and Discussion

Epyon

13 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

/I wonder if we're looking at this draft backwards. Would anyone be upset at this scenario?

Hire Harbaugh, Draft MHJ with our first pick, draft JJ McCarthy with our second pick?

I would be highly annoyed. McCarthy isn't worth a first rounder to me. He looks like a 3rd grade talent and being a QB will get the bump to a 2nd. I think he is essentially a system QB but with a stronger arm. His accuracy isn't special and there were a lot of fairly easy passes vs Iowa that he made much more difficult for the WRs (granted the TEs screwed him a few times too so his numbers should have been better than they were). But to me he just isn't a guy I am impressed with. 

My QB ranking goes:

Williams > Maye > Daniels > Sanders > Penix Jr > Ewers > Travis > McCarthy > Ward > Milton > Beck > Nix

Granted I expect Sanders and Ewers to return, which is why I listed 12 names. 

Harbaugh would be able to create a solid system for him but I feel (like with Kaep) that JJ would be a semi-frequent limiting factor for the offense. Granted, having Moore, MHJ, Kmet, the OL with an upgraded C and depth, and Johnson/Herbert should be a damn good way to prop any QB up. 

7 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

I would be highly annoyed. McCarthy isn't worth a first rounder to me. He looks like a 3rd grade talent and being a QB will get the bump to a 2nd. I think he is essentially a system QB but with a stronger arm. His accuracy isn't special and there were a lot of fairly easy passes vs Iowa that he made much more difficult for the WRs (granted the TEs screwed him a few times too so his numbers should have been better than they were). But to me he just isn't a guy I am impressed with. 

My QB ranking goes:

Williams > Maye > Daniels > Sanders > Penix Jr > Ewers > Travis > McCarthy > Ward > Milton > Beck > Nix

Granted I expect Sanders and Ewers to return, which is why I listed 12 names. 

Harbaugh would be able to create a solid system for him but I feel (like with Kaep) that JJ would be a semi-frequent limiting factor for the offense. Granted, having Moore, MHJ, Kmet, the OL with an upgraded C and depth, and Johnson/Herbert should be a damn good way to prop any QB up. 

Any QB. Like say, this guy?

Monsters Of The Midway Smile GIF by Chicago Bears

28 minutes ago, Bigbear72 said:

Any QB. Like say, this guy?

Monsters Of The Midway Smile GIF by Chicago Bears

Can the Bears keep him around the $6 mil cap hit he will have next year? I'd rather not recreate a Daniel Jones part 2 situation. lol

I said before Fields on a rookie contract is fine to have, but re-signing him to a considerable deal? **** that. 

I do like that gif though. Just needs a thought bubble of him thinking of all the screens he can complete before smiling. 😁

50 minutes ago, CBears019 said:

It's definitely crossed my mind.  I'm assuming you have a trade down before we take JJ?  I'd be interested, depending on how the season shakes out.  Would you also have us keeping Fields in this scenario?

if we're taking JJ, Justin would be traded for draft capital. JJ could likely be had in the middle of the first, so we could acquire more capital potentially.

JJ isn't as flashy as other QBs in the draft, I fully admit that. But he is athletic and can pick up yards with his legs, has a strong enough arms, and can place the ball where he wants to. @Sugashane think's he's not accurate, but go find the clip of him talking about the TD throw to Roman Wilson against OSU. it's legit amazing.

Harbaugh keeps the bears and ownership in the "strong character, good defense, strong running, don't turn the ball over and control the game" which is...the 49ers. If JJ is a better version of Brock Purdy, can we use our resources (picks [more with trades] and cap space) to put together a team that is competent enough without rock star coaching, but can take the next step with a real coach   

3 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

if we're taking JJ, Justin would be traded for draft capital. JJ could likely be had in the middle of the first, so we could acquire more capital potentially.

JJ isn't as flashy as other QBs in the draft, I fully admit that. But he is athletic and can pick up yards with his legs, has a strong enough arms, and can place the ball where he wants to. @Sugashane think's he's not accurate, but go find the clip of him talking about the TD throw to Roman Wilson against OSU. it's legit amazing.

Harbaugh keeps the bears and ownership in the "strong character, good defense, strong running, don't turn the ball over and control the game" which is...the 49ers. If JJ is a better version of Brock Purdy, can we use our resources (picks [more with trades] and cap space) to put together a team that is competent enough without rock star coaching, but can take the next step with a real coach   

@Sugashane i found it for you - listen to his explanation of the throw, then go back and watch the throw. you can see when he notices #25 turn his head, then rips it directly over his left shoulder perfectly for Wilson

1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

Can the Bears keep him around the $6 mil cap hit he will have next year? I'd rather not recreate a Daniel Jones part 2 situation. lol

I said before Fields on a rookie contract is fine to have, but re-signing him to a considerable deal? **** that. 

I do like that gif though. Just needs a thought bubble of him thinking of all the screens he can complete before smiling. 😁

They can keep him for 2-4 more years!!

17 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

@Sugashane i found it for you - listen to his explanation of the throw, then go back and watch the throw. you can see when he notices #25 turn his head, then rips it directly over his left shoulder perfectly for Wilson

20 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

Beautiful throw, but Fields and Tru both make wow throws too. And JJ is smart, that and his mobility is why I can see some Alex Smith to him. 

I just mean consistently putting his guy where he has a chance to make a move. Just vs Iowa he throw behind and low to a guy (throw would have been fine if he was a hair faster, I think he found the zone a bit late really), then really overthrew another a pass or two later. Then had a terrible throw on an out that his WR had to dive for. He dropped one perfectly on an out and then had a dot on a curl. He seems to be inaccurate more on the sideline throws than anywhere else. 

I will say he seems to excel between the hashes up to 10 yards from LOS from what I've seen. I love that and feel Fields/Getsy REALLY avoid that (and yes the college hashes are quite a big wider, but I mean really all around the middle of the field they avoid it). He hasn't bailed from clean pockets as much as last year either, so he is growing. To me he is efficient against good defenses, but doesn't really gash them. 

I'd take Williams and (any one of) Nabers/Odunze/Ebuka/Legette/Wilson/Coleman in a crackhead heartbeat over MHJ and McCarthy. 

6 minutes ago, Bigbear72 said:

Wildlife gif. A panda in a rocking chair appears to be having a crisis. It leans back and covers its head with both paws, then hunches forward with one paw on its forehead.

Poor panda is already thinking of the cap implications of back to back franchise tags for Fields. 

1 minute ago, CBears019 said:

Idk JJ may not be great, but have you seen 3rd graders play football?  They’re really bad.

They're raw but talented. Its like the WNBA, but... with talent. Ya know? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chisoxguy7 said:

Assuming Poles will want to move down in the draft, I wouldn't mind targeting FSU WR Johnny Wilson at the top of round 2. You can do a lot of things with a guy who is 6' 7", 230, and runs a 4.42.

austin-powers-oh-behave.gif