2024 Draft Debate and Discussion

Epyon

Just now, CBears019 said:

As for Williams and the rumors about ownership, that is 100% absolutely completely not allowed but the NFL, right?  

If a team have never seen it as a way of getting round the cap for an elite QB they sure as hell won't for a prospect...even if it wasn't against the rules no team in their right minds would do this.

4 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

I think Florio put out an article in the summer saying it wasn't allowed but I fould be wrong

I think one of the follow up tweets pointed out that the NFL made sure this type of ting was outlawed this past summer

Maybe Im just having a knee jerk reaction here to this nonsense, but you know what? Let him go back (such a dumb move money wise) it makes #1 overall just as if not more Valuable, as then Drake Maye would be really the only QB these teams would be clamoring for. Some might settle for Daniels or Penix, but Maye would be the only one you could ever possibly consider to be a "Franchise" type QB

Edited by StLunatic88

1 hour ago, dafreak said:

What is the Supplemental Draft?

The supplemental draft, which is held each summer, was installed in 1977 as an option for draft-eligible players who did not declare for the regular NFL Draft. Normally, players who declare for the supplemental draft do so because of unexpected eligibility issues in college (academic or discipline).

How does a player enter the Supplemental Draft?

Prospects looking to enter the Supplemental Draft have to apply with and be approved by the league office for eligibility.

The NFL is expected to hold its first Supplemental Draft since 2019 after the league granted eligibility for Purdue receiver Milton Wright.

The Supplemental Draft is for draft-eligible players who didn’t enter the NFL Draft but are unable to return to college football the same year.

Here’s everything you need to know about the event:

The supplemental draft, which is held each summer, was installed in 1977 as an option for draft-eligible players who did not declare for the regular NFL Draft. Normally, players who declare for the supplemental draft do so because of unexpected eligibility issues in college (academic or discipline).

^^^^From the athletic. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/how-nfl-supplemental-draft-works-what-you-need-to-know-for-2023/

What's the point of it?

It accommodates players in unique situations, most commonly being a collegiate player getting ruled ineligible for the upcoming season after the regular (April) draft, which, without the supplemental draft, would leave him in limbo for an entire year. If a player wants to be included in the supplemental draft, he files a formal petition to the league. It's not guaranteed that every applying player is admitted. Of course, players need to be at least three years removed from high school to be eligible for the supplemental draft.

38 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

I think Florio put out an article in the summer saying it wasn't allowed but I fould be wrong

NFL put a stop to that talk after Rodgers sounded like he wanted equity. But Florio was one that put it out there. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/nfl-bans-giving-equity-stakes-to-players-employees

This one lists several reasons why it was denied. 

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/Daily/Issues/2023/07/26/Leagues-and-Governing-Bodies/nfl-equity-ban.aspx

7 hours ago, dafreak said:

How does a player enter the Supplemental Draft?

Prospects looking to enter the Supplemental Draft have to apply with and be approved by the league office for eligibility.

Hypothetically, say he’s dead set on forcing supplemental status - couldn’t he just not declare for the draft, then do something that immediately declares he ineligible for college play this year (but doesn’t impact his draft status)?

So if we trade down to 3 (NE) the prevailing thought amongst the fan base has been that we’d take MHJ there. But, would Poles take Fashanu or Alt over Harrison knowing he can probably get Nabers or Odunze at 9? I feel like maybe this should be getting more consideration.

I’m pretty sure I’d take MHJ there, but getting one of those tackles would be awesome too, especially if we can still get Nabers, Odunze or maybe Bowers at 9 as well.  

Edited by AZBearsFan
  • Like 1