2024 Draft Debate and Discussion

Epyon

@AZBearsFan @Madmike90 I think Braxton Jones is going to be a guy where you consider replacing him, but once FA and the draft pass by you realize you're better off with what he brings to the table, which is a smart/reliable/ascending/cheap left tackle. He turns 25 this year and, IMO, still can get stronger in his base/anchor.

Jones/Jenkins/Biadasz/Davis(threw up in my mouth)/Wright

age at the start of next season: (25)/(26)/(26)/(27)/(23)

Truth be told, I would consider putting Jenkins on the right side next to Wright... talk about power running behind those two? Good luck defense.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, G08 said:

@AZBearsFan @Madmike90 I think Braxton Jones is going to be a guy where you consider replacing him, but once FA and the draft pass by you realize you're better off with what he brings to the table, which is a smart/reliable/ascending/cheap left tackle. He turns 25 this year and, IMO, still can get stronger in his base/anchor.

Truth be told, I would consider putting Jenkins on the right side next to Wright... talk about power running behind those two? Good luck defense.

If we sign WR Mike Evans and draft a Tackle in the first round, then Rookie OT/Jones/Biadasz/Jenkins/Wright would be awesome... if the rookie wins and Jones can be a G which I think he can.

48 minutes ago, G08 said:

Interesting mock draft I just saw:

Chicago trades #1 to Washington for #2, #36 and #40

Caleb Williams goes #1

We draft Marvin Harrison, Jr. #2

We draft Jared Verse #9

No future first round picks, but we get #36 and #40 this year to address iOL/Move-TE/RB/DB etc. Thoughts?

I would rather trade with Atlanta or the Raiders to get more picks.

59 minutes ago, G08 said:

Caleb Williams goes #1

We draft Jared Verse #9

No future first round picks, but we get #36 and #40 this year to address iOL/Move-TE/RB/DB etc. Thoughts?

I want the option of having additional ammo in 2025 to be able to trade up for a QB if Fields isn't the guy, or if he is then we can surround him with young talent that will be cheaper for one more year to help the cap situation. Seems the most flexible approach imo and the Bears aren't Super Bowl contenders next year anyway. Support Fields with FA and some picks, accrue ammo for 2025 and see how Fields plays under the new OC.

If Fields can't play better with Moore, MHJ, FA slot, Kmet and a damn solid run game with an upgrwded C then just cut the cord. He ain't it. (Assuming the OC is competent of course, even if not it's time to end it imo).

Something to try and throw out there

Bears trade with Pats

Bears give up-

Fields

2025 1st

Pats give up-

2025 1st

Bears essentially bet on themselves and swap 1sts in 2025 with NE, assuming they suck next year.

They can draft QB1 (Williams or Maye) and still get MHJ, who they believe are the top 2 players in the draft.

NE gets a much better QB on their rookie deal to sell tickets, keep the locker room together and give them someone exciting as they retool the roster. They're not contending for anything next year. And if they get a good OC then they may may figure out how to get H1M. They have 2 years before big money or a deal is cut for Fields, so either they build the team up for a future 1RP at QB or Fields entrenched himself.

Essentially this puts Fields' value at a 2nd rounder without a true loss of draft capital.

1 hour ago, G08 said:

Caleb Williams goes #1

We draft Jared Verse #9

Absolutely. It's one spot so that's a pretty good return considering.

Bears can then trade out of 2 if they really wanted to another team that wants to jump ahead of Pats for Maye

That would mean potentially losing out on MHJ but honestly I would be just as fine with Nabers if they go the WR route in round 1

1 hour ago, G08 said:

Caleb Williams goes #1

We draft Jared Verse #9

If we did this I think we’d strongly consider trading down from 2 as well. I’m a huge fan of Verse though. 

1 hour ago, JibjeResearch said:

If we sign WR Mike Evans and draft a Tackle in the first round, then Rookie OT/Jones/Biadasz/Jenkins/Wright would be awesome... if the rookie wins and Jones can be a G which I think he can.

I don’t think Evans will leave Tampa, but I do think what we do at WR in FA will be pretty telling on our draft plans. If we go after one of the top guys I think we aren’t going WR in R1, but if we go with someone like Boyd/Samuel/Osborn in FA then drafting for a potential high end WR2 in R1 is very much on the table. 

2 hours ago, G08 said:

I know Poles really likes Jones, but I think if Joe Alt or Olu Fashanu are sitting there at 9 they are going to be really hard to pass on.  That scenario will have been mapped out prior to draft.  

Fans will want Odunze, but WRs are typically easier to find than really good LTs.  Poles knows this.   Jones is good and improving, but those guys have higher ceilings. 

Jones then becomes a situation where is it get best 5 on field, and he is probably one of best 5, or leave him at his position. 

I think if both those guys are gone it is likely Odunze at 9.  

13 minutes ago, G08 said:

IMG_8718.jpg?ex=65b57518&is=65a30018&hm=c3af8614e2aedb8af332e4acdc6c5f11558a4b2ec54dd2f64058d4e7a6728136&

Things like this are so weird to me.

What if option B is Williams to Moore and Nabers, Odunze or Bowers? Or are we just pretending taking Williams means they can't use #9 on a pass catcher?

Also, option A has Fields having all day but option B has Williams being sacked. Is Marvin Harrison that good that he can also give Fields more time to throw?

Edited by beardown3231
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

What if option B is Williams to Moore and Nabers, Odunze or Bowers? Or are we just pretending taking Williams means they can't use #9 on a pass catcher?

Also, option A has Fields having all day but option B has Williams being sacked. Is Marvin Harrison that good that he can also give Fields more time to throw?

I initially looked at it and laughed that even wide open and with a clean pocket Moore and MHJ had to make a leaping catch to snag a Fields pass. lol

• Like 3

JC Latham is also in the mix for sig OL upgrades, can play every position except center and can possibly even move down a little from 9, pick up a 2nd and still get him. I like Latham ALOT  !

I just don't see Brax having any real dominating success inside, certainly not AnYwHErE NEAR what he is capable of on the outside 

3 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

I have no idea, I saw it and laughed