Ongoing Coaching & GM Rumors/Updates Talk

RaidersAreOne

3 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

I don't think we land Ben Johnson unless we offer him a crazy bag.

My gut feeling says Mike Macdonald will be the guy.

I am deeply concerned it's going to be Kellen Moore.

19 minutes ago, Cypher said:

I am deeply concerned it's going to be Kellen Moore.

I was thinking him too, but we haven't requested an interview with him yet.  Of course that could change over the next week and IIRC he made it to the final round of interviews last year.  Maybe there is something to him being the betting favorite.

I'm really not a huge fan of any of the offensive coaches outside of Ben Johnson and to a lesser extent, Monken (although he strikes me as being a better OC than HC, and probably not the best fit for a young, rebuilding team). I would be okay with Slowik given his experience working with Kyle Shanahan.  I don't think I would hate Moore, but I would have low expectations.

Macdonald is the candidate who I keep circling back to.  HC is a crapshoot in regards to who will work out vs who doesn't, but I have a good feeling about him.  Young but a lot of experience, from what I read his scheme/philosophy would be a great fit for the talent here (maybe we-resign Chinn on a cheap 1yr deal and see if he can excel being used like Hamilton).  Kinda concerned about who he would get to fill out his offensive staff, but he has connections through both Harbaugh bros.  Comes across as a strong leader.  

58 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

"Listen guy we're going to have a mutiny on our hands if we dont hire Pierce, soooo you good with that?"

I dont understand why HC/GM hires cant be independent from one another. Your here to GM, your here to coach. I dont understand why it has to be some sort of buddy cop partnership. Is there any sort of evidence out there that GMs who assist in the HC hire being better than hiring them each independently?

We arnt here for crumpets and tea, we're here to win football games and this is a business. You dont get to pick your bosses or coworkers. In what other industry ever do you get to do that besides pro sports?

PLUS when things do go south (because they will eventually), you don't have to fire the entire regime, you can just pick individuals out of the system and replace them since they don't have any ties/allegiances to one another.

Egos are a big thing that can ruin a good thing. If AP is the new HC, then you have to find the right guy to work with him.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Forge said:

If it’s true (and I have my reservations this is all just media exaggeration), it’s really not a great look for Maxx or the Raiders in general.

Mark Davis wants to hire a GM and conduct a HC search after, and is being told by one of his players he can’t do this because he doesn’t agree with it.

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

If it’s true (and I have my reservations this is all just media exaggeration), it’s really not a great look for Maxx or the Raiders in general.

Mark Davis wants to hire a GM and conduct a HC search after, and is being told by one of his players he can’t do this because he doesn’t agree with it.

As great of a player Crosby is, I can’t see Davis or a new GM letting him dictate who the coach should be. 

Now if Pierce is the best candidate then they should absolutely take the interim tag off of him. But I’m glad the Raiders are doing their external due diligence 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Nightmare said:

Its true, Crosby basically just confirmed it 

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/maxx-crosby-if-we-dont-hire-antonio-pierce-i-have-to-consider-everything

A report on Sunday indicated Raiders defensive end Maxx Crosby will consider requesting a trade if the team does not hire interim head coach Antonio Pierce on a permanent basis and Crosby confirmed as much on the latest episode of his podcast.

During the episode, Crosby was asked about how he will react if the Raiders decide to hire a different head coach in the coming weeks. Crosby said that “if we go in a different direction, there’s nothing that’s off the table” in the future.

“I’m gonna have to consider everything,” Crosby said. “Honestly, nothing’s off the table. Clearly I’ve made it loud and clear I want to be a Raider for life. I want to be here, I want to win here, I want to retire here. If we go and start from scratch again, I’ve gotta consider everything. Everything.”