Ongoing Coaching & GM Rumors/Updates Talk

RaidersAreOne

I'd love for MacDonald to leave Baltimore, but I'm not sure if that happens this year.

What happened to Lou Anarumo? Has he gotten any interviews this year? Thought for sure he'd get a HC gig before Callahan, despite being a defensive minded coach.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, iknowcool said:

Maybe I’m crazy but I really don’t want Mike Vrabel.  May as well have just kept Frank Reich.

I like Vrabel but would agree it doesn't sound like a great fit, IMO. I could see Vrabel potentially taking this year off and coming back in 2025.

25 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I don't think Seattle has "missed their shot" on him as much as they may be waiting?

In that case, I think they would have to wait until after the Super Bowl or until Baltimore is eliminated (whichever comes first).  They can't interview him during the SB bye week window because they never interviewed him virtually.  That's a long time to wait for a HC and watch other assistants get swooped as staff positions get filled (especially given I'm sure some of the assistants he had in mind are those Harbaugh also has in mind).

https://theathletic.com/5191174/2024/01/10/nfl-coach-interview-rules/

• Teams with open head-coaching positions were able to begin requesting interviews with candidates from other teams on Jan. 8. Those interviews must happen virtually before the end of divisional-round games on Jan. 21.
  • The NFL recommends that teams with open head-coaching positions use this “virtual interview window” to set up an initial interview so those teams are eligible to request a second interview with a candidate from a Super Bowl team during the bye week.

Starting Jan. 22 (the day after the divisional round ends):

• Teams can conduct in-person or virtual interviews with candidates employed by other NFL teams whose seasons ended.
  • Teams cannot hold initial interviews with candidates employed by teams participating in the AFC and NFC championship games until the end of the employer team’s season. Second interviews are not allowed until Jan. 29. A candidate’s employer team may not voluntarily grant permission for those interviews.
Edited by HTTRDynasty
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, DawgX said:

What happened to Lou Anarumo? Has he gotten any interviews this year? Thought for sure he'd get a HC gig before Callahan, despite being a defensive minded coach.

Didn’t have a chance to get hot in the playoffs for all that genius-Anarumo noise. Bengals never have a great regular season defense.

44 minutes ago, DawgX said:

NFL teams must be listening to Colin Cowherd, who thinks that teams coached by former defensive coordinators are in danger of going 0-17.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Mr.UFO said:

NFL teams must be listening to Colin Cowherd, who thinks that teams coached by former defensive coordinators are in danger of going 0-17.

Cowherd's vendetta against defensive coaches is weird. Even Rex Ryan could talk circles around him concerning offensive philosophy, play-calling, and design. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, DawgX said:

I like Vrabel but would agree it doesn't sound like a great fit, IMO. I could see Vrabel potentially taking this year off and coming back in 2025.

I could see Vrabel doing something like a year or so under BB in Atlanta if we get him as HC and have it as a Vrabel takes over once BB steps down or retires in 2 or 3 years.  Vrabel takes over a team he helped build and continue having success right off the bat. 

1 hour ago, Soko said:

Didn’t have a chance to get hot in the playoffs for all that genius-Anarumo noise. Bengals never have a great regular season defense.

Bengals have had a damn solid defense for a few years now despite not having elite personnel. If I was a team in need of a HC I'd be interested in him.

5 minutes ago, FalconFan13 said:

I could see Vrabel doing something like a year or so under BB in Atlanta if we get him as HC and have it as a Vrabel takes over once BB steps down or retires in 2 or 3 years.  Vrabel takes over a team he helped build and continue having success right off the bat. 

I don't think Vrabel will want to wait under BB for 2-3 years.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, DawgX said:

I don't think Vrabel will want to wait under BB for 2-3 years.

Also if it doesn't work out you can tank your value. Just look what happened to Mike Smith. Got fired from Atlanta, took the DC job in Tampa and was terrible and has never gotten a HC opportunity again.  Smith has .589 winning percentage too. 

If Vrabel doesn't get a job, he should take the year off. The Jets, Bears, Cowboys could all have openings next year. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, game3525 said:

Also if it doesn't work out you can tank your value. Just look what happened to Mike Smith. Got fired from Atlanta, took the DC job in Tampa and was terrible and has never gotten a HC opportunity again.  Smith has .589 winning percentage too. 

If Vrabel doesn't get a job, he should take the year off. The Jets, Bears, Cowboys could all have openings next year. 

To be fair on the Mike Smith thing though he was a completely different coach after his heart attack.   His personality and fire changed alot and it was quite noticeable.   Which is sorta sad that it took a toll on him so much. But he made the right decision for his personal health.   I still respect him as one of if not the best HC we have had and i think if he never had that heart attack he would still be coaching here as HC if he wanted to. 

5 hours ago, FalconFan13 said:

I think Vrabel’s going to either be a head coach or not coaching at all. I don’t think he’ll ever be a coordinator again.

And quiet as kept, he wasn’t very good when he was a DC.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, DawgX said:

Bengals have had a damn solid defense for a few years now despite not having elite personnel. If I was a team in need of a HC I'd be interested in him.

Injuries and the loss of Bates made them take a tumble this year.  Maybe they weren't in enough games with Romo pimping him throughout broadcasts.  Either way, I'm glad he's still here.

• Like 2