Ongoing Coaching & GM Rumors/Updates Talk

RaidersAreOne

Just now, BetterCallSaul said:

lol it's not disrespectful to turn down a job.

I mean if someone made an offer to me and I said "hell no, you guys suck" I'd argue that its disrespectful. 

We don't know the backroom machinations that were involved in that decision, he could have verbally said yes he was taking the job and last minute left them hanging.  

• Like 1

So much for taking their time as reported yesterday.   Spin city at its finest.   

I don’t blame the org for thus pretty clear they got blindsided.   I will say Quinn has excellent traits for  a HC - but his game management really was bottom 5 as the guy in charge.   And he better have a great O mind in place for the 1.2 pick QB (likely Maye).  

Edited by Broncofan

5 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

So much for taking their time as reported yesterday.   Spin city at its finest.   

I don’t blame the org for thus pretty clear they got blindsided.   I will say Quinn has excellent traits for  a HC - but his game management really was bottom 5 as the guy in charge.   And he better have a great O mind in place for the 1.2 pick QB (likely Maye).  

If he wants a QB that's the most like Matt Ryan in this class, it's probably Maye or Penix. (Because Caleb isn't getting past 1.1)

Just now, BetterCallSaul said:

He will have no consequences. He will be the most sought after HC next year again...pretty much a guarantee.

I think people have forgotten how many people have gotten second chances in this league despite what they have done... This is like nothing compared to some stuff. Josh McDaniel literally took the Colts HC job and then backed out hours later and still ended up as a HC despite every fan hating his guts.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

I think people have forgotten how many people have gotten second chances in this league despite what they have done... This is like nothing compared to some stuff. Josh McDaniel literally took the Colts HC job and then backed out hours later and still ended up as a HC despite every fan hating his guts.

We'll see.  All it takes is an injury to Goff or a couple of key OL to ruin his season (which I hope doesn't happen). 

Even if he is, teams will make sure they don't put all their eggs in his basket until he signs his name on the dotted line... and there may be fears he would even try to back out after that.

1 minute ago, HTTRDynasty said:

We'll see.  All it takes is an injury to Goff or a couple of key OL to ruin his season (which I hope doesn't happen). 

Even if he is, teams will make sure they don't put all their eggs in his basket until he signs his name on the dotted line... and there may be fears he would even try to back out after that.

Sure teams might be a bit more cautious if he makes another deep run. I could see that being a reasonable assumption. I don't think he has much to worry about. If Goff gets hurt he has a built in excuse. If Goff doesn't get hurt he has a built in excuse in that his QB is Goff lol.

The guys going to be a HC and soon. There are numerous ways to spin this in his favor. While spurned lovers might be upset a guy being loyal to a fault often is a trait that many will admire.

33 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

lol it's not disrespectful to turn down a job.

Surely you must understand the difference between “turning down a job” and “the whole organization is aboard a private plane to meet with you and while they’re all in the air, you tell them ‘no thanks, I’m not actually interested after all.’”

On 2/1/2024 at 10:09 AM, TankWilliams said:

I mean if someone made an offer to me and I said "hell no, you guys suck" I'd argue that its disrespectful. 

We don't know the backroom machinations that were involved in that decision, he could have verbally said yes he was taking the job and last minute left them hanging.  

Expressing interest in a job is just that, expressing interest. He never committed to taking the job, and job interviews go both ways.

I get that owners/GMs are going to be offended because rejection stings, but from what's public Ben Johnson did absolutely nothing wrong or unprofessional.

• Like 1

On 2/1/2024 at 10:43 AM, e16bball said:

Surely you must understand the difference between “turning down a job” and “the whole organization is aboard a private plane to meet with you and while they’re all in the air, you tell them ‘no thanks, I’m not actually interested after all.’”

Was he supposed to wait until they landed?

If the criticism is that he didn't do it in person, fair enough. But it's post COVID now and the in person stuff is overrated IMO.