Trevor Lawrence and the Jags - Year 4 (T-Law is what he is)

notthatbluestuff

10 hours ago, Tugboat said:

The way i see it...like i said, Engram is the only actually good weapon Lawrence has.  There's a reason he loves throwing to him so much and throwing to the other overpaid munchkins is such a struggle for consistency.  Even Zay Jones is a guy Trevor loves to throw it to...even though he's not actually anything special.  I think Engram making headway on some franchise records should tell you all you need to know about what's wrong here.

It's all about fitting the personnel to the quarterback.  Lawrence clearly thrives with big, physical, large catch radius targets.  But instead, he's got a pair of soft little smurfs with bad hands as his primary targets taking up a huge amount of cap space.

Kirk is a WR3 on a good team.  He's good at one specific thing and that's about it.  Ridley is ******* useless and doesn't have any place on a good team.  There's a reason the Falcons let him walk for nothing and it's not just his gambling stuff.

ETN is also a good target, but that's really just as a checkdown and space plays sort of thing.

It's just not a roster built to suit what Lawrence does best.  Which is what smart organizations do to support their Franchise QBs.

Ridley is great at drawing flags.  He's also got some speed. 

I think Kirk can definitely be a wr 2 and there's a reason Trevor looks to him on most 3rd downs.  

I do think the jags need to give him a Justyn Ross/Tee Higgins tho to truly thrive. 

Didn't the offense really start to struggle once Kirk went down? He was the go-to guy and seemed to open up a lot of things for Ridley and Engram. Even Zay Jones was a good weapon when Kirk was there in the slot

10 minutes ago, adamq said:

Didn't the offense really start to struggle once Kirk went down? He was the go-to guy and seemed to open up a lot of things for Ridley and Engram. Even Zay Jones was a good weapon when Kirk was there in the slot

Yea, he played 1% of the snaps vs Cincinnati(the first loss of the 5 of 6) and didnt play in the rest

• Like 1

Career trajectory is reminding me of Drew Bledsoe. High hype, and expectations for the clear first overall pick, a QB. Thus far, he seems like he's meeting a baseline of what a typical QB taken in the first round should amount to. Due to the fanfare that got out of control for him as a prospect, it just feels like a bit of a letdown. His receivers dropped a ton of passes though. And then he got hurt. He's good enough for a team to be competitive with though. Jaguars still have work to do. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Career trajectory is reminding me of Drew Bledsoe. High hype, and expectations for the clear first overall pick, a QB. Thus far, he seems like he's meeting a baseline of what a typical QB taken in the first round should amount to. Due to the fanfare that got out of control for him as a prospect, it just feels like a bit of a letdown. His receivers dropped a ton of passes though. And then he got hurt. He's good enough for a team to be competitive with though. Jaguars still have work to do. 

So you're saying Tom Brady is right around the corner?

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Is there any doubt that the Jags will exercise their 5th year option? 

No doubt. 

Wouldn't be surprised if they just give him the extension, but I think Lawrence would be smarter wait unless Jax is going to give him like top 5-7 QB money. 

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

Is there any doubt that the Jags will exercise their 5th year option? 

Zero outside of maybe skipping it for a long term extension. Even you think he's overrated, he's still very clearly a franchise level QB, even if he's on the bottom end of that range.

26 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Maybe it's because I'm not impressed with him but I'd value him at slightly more than Daniel Jones got. Lawrence may not agree to that range though.

I always wondered how people who perceive Lawrence if he was exactly the same, but as a 3rd round pick and not as a "generational" prospect. 
Lawrence is above Daniel Jones, but he's not up there with Burrow/Herbert/Hurts/even Tua. I wouldn't sign him to the same contract these guys have just signed/will sign (50M+). But then Daniel Jones is making 40M annually (yup that was a terrible contract) so Lawrence is right to expect to be paid more than him, as he's younger/better player with more upside. 
But yeah I'd pick up his 5th year option and let next year play out and revisit the extension talks in one year and see how much he has improved or if he hasn't. 

The reason I brought up Jones was the Giants didn't exercise his 5th year option because he'd been generally disappointing. Then he had his career year in season 4 so they had to strike a deal to avoid a franchise tag. So he got his 4/160 that they now regret.

Lawrence seems only slightly better than Jones to me. TL has a better arm but turns it over too much. Is he that much better than his classmate Justin Fields? How does he compare with Kyler Murray or even Jake Browning? 

• Like 2

On 1/10/2024 at 5:58 PM, El Ramster said:

IMG-0351.jpg

I genuinely don't understand why so many other fanbases and media personalities and posters all seem intent on trying to convince actual Jaguars fans that what they're wrong about what they've seen in Lawrence.

The levels of statistical and mental gymnastics are kind of hilarious to watch.  When i can just comfortably sit back and feel confident that Lawrence is a franchise quarterback.  The best this franchise has ever seen.  Ever.  More than enough to believe that if they put pieces in place around him correctly, he can win a Superbowl in Jacksonville.  

Including former Jags media who seem to have had an axe to grind ever since they left for more money and spotlight somewhere else.

Edited by Tugboat

17 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

I genuinely don't understand why so many other fanbases and media personalities and posters all seem intent on trying to convince actual Jaguars fans that what they're wrong about what they've seen in Lawrence.

Can’t speak for all haters but some of us believe you guys are battered spouses suffering from Stockholm Syndrome lol. 

Blink twice if Trevor fumbles at home again. 

fyi - obv joking here but enough shades of truth in how I feel that you are still welcome to use me as an example and destroy me lol.