Raiders name rookie QB Aidan O'Connell starting QB going forward

RaidersAreOne

9 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

What would AOC need to do to for you to not draft a QB in the draft?

Start playing like CJ Stroud. Anything short of that is risking QB purgatory and isn't worth it. That's the reason we moved on from Carr....was to finally solidify the QB spot. Not replace him with another question mark. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, agarcia34 said:

I would want him to do next-level things that would show me that he has the traits to overcome deficiencies in offensive weapons and the offensive line. Unfortunately for him, this year is a great QB draft.

1 hour ago, agarcia34 said:

I think there was a question like this in another thread and for me, it’s the same answer as before.

If we’re in position to draft an elite prospect in the first round then I don’t think anything that O’Connell did would dissuade me at this time. That doesn’t mean I’m writing him off, just that passing on a potential elite prospect would be an error I feel and the two QBs could compete in camp. At worst, O’Connell could be a very competent backup and we may even have a future trade piece. 

• Like 2

the other half of the question, is if AOC plays well enough and a team offers a massive trade to move and grab say JJ at like 12. . . 

Im still wanting to draft a qb, but ideally AOC plays well enough, that the thought of going into next season doesnt make us all sick. 
If a team gets desperate for the 3rd QB, and wants to throw a first next year second this year to move back 5 spots, id do it, and take a qb in the second or so. 

2 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

the other half of the question, is if AOC plays well enough and a team offers a massive trade to move and grab say JJ at like 12. . . 

Im still wanting to draft a qb, but ideally AOC plays well enough, that the thought of going into next season doesnt make us all sick. 
If a team gets desperate for the 3rd QB, and wants to throw a first next year second this year to move back 5 spots, id do it, and take a qb in the second or so. 

I guess I’d have to be more confident in O’Connell than I would be in the #3 QB prospect in that scenario. If you think the QB prospect is a better prospect than O’Connell you take him unless you’re offered a great deal and the gap between them is small. It’s the same with all the QB prospects I guess.

If you think QB prospects #1 to #4 are better than O’Connell then you take one at some stage. If we’re not able to manouvre or be in position to take one and O’Connell you think is better than the prospects left then you use resources elsewhere. Comes down to your view of their relative values. 

• Like 2

The whole smoking cigars in the lockeroom stuff after the game is hilarious. It's cringey if you look at it from the outside as it looks like we're celebrating a Super Bowl W and we beat a QB-less Giants team, but I have NEVER seen the locker room so amped up after a McD win before.

That Piece post-game speech was freaking awesome too. Did you guys catch Adams eyes during it (He's just to AP's right). Dude was uber fired up and excited you can tell.

What a 180 from our previous regime. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Darbsk said:

I guess I’d have to be more confident in O’Connell than I would be in the #3 QB prospect in that scenario. If you think the QB prospect is a better prospect than O’Connell you take him unless you’re offered a great deal and the gap between them is small. It’s the same with all the QB prospects I guess.

If you think QB prospects #1 to #4 are better than O’Connell then you take one at some stage. If we’re not able to manouvre or be in position to take one and O’Connell you think is better than the prospects left then you use resources elsewhere. Comes down to your view of their relative values. 

I would take JJ at 12 over O'Connell(as it stands right now). I think JJ goes even higher than that. There's a lot of teams picking in the top 10 right now that could easily move on from the quarterback they have currently. For example even if the Vikings roll with Kirk cousins they're gonna still draft a quarterback because that's what makes sense because of his age. 

This could be a year similar to the year Micah Parsons went 15th where people just start dropping because of the quarterback hysteria in the top 10. 

Edited by Jeremy408
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, NickButera said:

Start playing like CJ Stroud. Anything short of that is risking QB purgatory and isn't worth it. That's the reason we moved on from Carr....was to finally solidify the QB spot. Not replace him with another question mark. 

What's playing like CJ Stroud? 

That's not the reason we moved on from Carr.