Raiders name rookie QB Aidan O'Connell starting QB going forward

RaidersAreOne

Knowing this season is a wash and we can just try things, makes games much easier to watch. I care more about seeing how players develop now other than winning. I want to see all those rookies we set as inactive get minutes. Winning will be reserved for next year and the year after. 

It is very telling to me that the moment McDaniels is gone O'Connell gets the vote of affirmation from the entire organization. It's like, everyone knew he was better but Josh just sat on his thumbs. 

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

This is the only choice after the fallout from Monday and Tuesday nights. I expect AOC to be like Davis Mills; the guy before the guy. 

I still wanted Mills, too. I think his absolute ceiling is something a touch lower than Kirk Cousins or maybe Gardner Mishew-like. But I think he's a fine QB that deserves a shot somewhere 

1 hour ago, Darbsk said:

Good move for interim coach Antonio Pierce, appeases the fans and buys time and I think maybe if he can get O'Connell to play well he'll look like a genius against the McDaniels coaching team.

If he can turn O'Connell into a decent starter by years end then that is going to be a huge, huge feather in his cap when he puts his hand up for the real Head Coaching job.

He basically has no downside really from naming AOC the starter. If he'd have named Garoppolo the starter it may have been anarchy 😁

It's crazy because McDummy could have possibly saved his job. He started AO4 against the Chargers but Hoyer took alot of reps. Then had an opportunity to start him against the Bears vs another rookie QB but chose Hoyer. Then he made the dumbest decisions you'll ever see from a coach. 4th and long in own territory with 8 minutes left yeah go for it. 4th and goal with 2 minutes left naw kick a fg. Just horrible game management. Anyway if AO4 would have showed promise he might still be here. Now I hope AO4 does well and JMD is like fk I should have started my hand picked QB. Too much pride to admit Jimmy was done.

Edited by raidr4life
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

What’s wild is nearly 100% of us saw Aidan was our best QB since the preseason 

McDaniels was too chicken $$h!t to start him

What’s wild is that even Dennis Allen, as conservative as he is, even recognized that his rookie QB (Carr) was the better option (LOL Schwab) going forward in 2014. He still got canned tho lmao

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ronjon1990 said:

I still wanted Mills, too. I think his absolute ceiling is something a touch lower than Kirk Cousins or maybe Gardner Mishew-like. But I think he's a fine QB that deserves a shot somewhere 

Agreed. At worst he’s of the peak backups. Did plenty of good things with very little supporting cast in Houston.

1 hour ago, Justwinning said:

What’s wild is that even Dennis Allen, as conservative as he is, even recognized that his rookie QB (Carr) was the better option (LOL Schwab) going forward in 2014. He still got canned tho lmao

1 hour ago, Geezy said:

Imagine getting fired because you decided to hitch your wagon to Jimmy ******* G Lmao deserved to get fired for even considering it! 

JMD was in a damned if you do, damned if you don't type of situation with Jimmy G. 

Schaub was easily benchable because we didn't have much invested into him. We paid Jimmy 70M over the off-season so he was pretty much forced to start him. 

Happy for him. Not often a 4th Round Rookie gets a full 9 games trial run to prove if he can show enough to win the job for the next year. We are gonna find out if AOC has what it takes. I know you guys are easily impressed, but if what AOC shows me is “Top 10-12 potential” that’s not enough, I would still trade up. I need AOC to show me flashes that make you go “Wow this guy can he a Top 6-8 QB”. Of course he is going to make rookie mistakes no doubt. 

What I want to see:

- Top 6-8 “Flashes”

- Play as a Top 16 QB consistently

- Rookie Mistakes and Hiccups are fine. I will even excuse a horrendous Jimmy G level game. 2 or 3 of those though? No. 

• Like 2