Raiders name rookie QB Aidan O'Connell starting QB going forward

RaidersAreOne

14 hours ago, Justwinning said:

Hypothetical question: what would it take from AOC in the final 9 games for you to feel comfortable passing on a QB in round 1 or acquire one from the trade market?

I’d draft a QB every season until one emerges. Depending on what the draft pool looks likes would determine which round. 

If Aidan looks like competent starting QB with the ability to score and good repoire with the weapons (Jalen Hurts year 1). Then yes I would pass on the #3 QB in the draft class. Especially if we can strengthen the team. I’d still use draft pick on a QB prospect they like in the draft 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I have zero expectations. He looked pitiful in his first start. Held the ball to long, took unnecessary sacks, fumbled 3 times, through a pick and ran Adams into a shoulder injury. Rookie mistakes, but a lot to clean up. 

Realistically, nothing he would do would stop me from taking a QB. If he balls out, great. Get another QB to compete with him and strengthen the room.

I agree but it was a very suboptimal start in terms of pass pro vs the Chargers front.

Hopefully he can show flashes. I agree I would take a QB in round 1/2 regardless, but it would just be telling as far as what he is moving forward. A trade chip vs a good backup vs none of the above.

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

It's ego. Guy brought Jimmy G here, paid him a bunch of money. He wasn't about to throw in the towel and admit he was wrong twice on veteran QBs he paid.

Weird to think, if Belichick is gone after the season, maybe the Patriot Way comes to an end. That style is simply out of touch with the modern athlete. The guys seeing the most success are player coaches. The Bill Parcells philosophy has slowly faded with Belichick being the last guard. 

I just think the reality is when you're winning people don't pay attention to how you win. And the reality is when you lose those things that were swept under the rug are more clear. Ring Jimmy Garoppolo and Josh McDaniels are perfect examples of that. Belichick as well. A lot of the things that he would do stop making sense when Brady's not there. 

Think about this: do you guys remember back when that was the whole issue with Brady and Belichick the first time and Belichick wanted to replace him with Garoppolo back then but Robert Kraft said no. Imagine if he had actually done that back then how we would be looking at Belichick the Patriot Way and that entire legacy.? Would Josh McDaniels had been exposed earlier. Instead they keep him and they win two more times. Something to consider.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I have zero expectations. He looked pitiful in his first start. Held the ball to long, took unnecessary sacks, fumbled 3 times, through a pick and ran Adams into a shoulder injury. Rookie mistakes, but a lot to clean up. 

Realistically, nothing he would do would stop me from taking a QB. If he balls out, great. Get another QB to compete with him and strengthen the room.

This.....100%. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, big_palooka said:

100% agreed. He would have to look like CJ Stroud did earlier in the year, for like 7 out of 9 games, for me to even consider not drafting a QB.

Trade up and get the franchise guy. Period. This is a good QB class. Maye. Williams. McCarthy. We should have traded up for Richardson. We should have traded up for Tua or Herbert. Trade up. Period.

• Like 1

On 11/1/2023 at 4:51 PM, Tank4Drake said:

Ehhh you had dudes saying give Stidham a year after one game…. I can only imagine how loyal they will be to AOC if he shows a lot of Top 10-12 flashes over 9 games. 

Top 10-12 flashes simply aren’t enough. I’m tired of waiting. Either AOC blows our mind or he doesn’t. This is a business. Loyalty to QB’s among fanbases is something I’ll never get…

I’d rather have given Stidham a year rather than suffer through Jimmy and Hoyer 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Tank4Drake said:

Or we could have traded up for a QB, something we have been long overdue to do. “No must have a roster first!!!” No, get your elite QB first, always. 

Goes both ways, no one way to build a roster. Philly and SF built their rosters up then had QBs fall in their laps. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Geezy said:

Goes both ways, no one way to build a roster. Philly and SF built their rosters up then had QBs fall in their laps. 

Well, 49ers not so much. Mr Irrelevant isn't "falling in your lap". Besides, he's not really looking like a franchise top 10 type guy as of yet. 

They've been the opposite argument of what you're trying to say IMO. They built their roster but they've been searching and trying various ways to get a QB with no luck as of yet. Purdy is still TBD

I'm pulling for him.  I hope he flourishes and becomes our QBotF.  Just being optimistic.  If he puts up 4-5 wins with a 2:1 TD/turnover ratio I would consider keeping him as the starter.  I would still draft a backup next year.  But I'm pulling for AOC for two reasons:  I want Farva from Super Troopers at QB, and it would allow us to draft players at positions of need (DT!!!).

20 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

I’d draft a QB every season until one emerges. Depending on what the draft pool looks likes would determine which round. 

If Aidan looks like competent starting QB with the ability to score and good repoire with the weapons (Jalen Hurts year 1). Then yes I would pass on the #3 QB in the draft class. Especially if we can strengthen the team. I’d still use draft pick on a QB prospect they like in the draft 

I agree with both of these, but I need to see it. Aiden O'Connell is a competent qb quarterback, we have to surround him will oline help(mainly some guards who can run block), Jacob would have to be paid after that, and then you draft pieces high on defense. 

with that being said, if there is a scenario where I say, we end up getting Harbaugh but we're picking outside of the top 10, but o Connell does good this year. Would you draft McCarthy?