Mock Offseason

MKnight82

Screenshot_20230721_141517_Twitter.jpg

I’m assuming all of the coaches are fired, I don’t care who they hire at this point this thread isn’t about that.

Currently Spotrac and Over the Cap have very different projections for team’s total salary caps for 2024. Spotrac has approximately $240.5 mil and Over the Cap has approximately $259.9 mil. I’m going to use the more conservative number Spotrac has.  

Here’s the cap situation at the start of the offseason:

Total Cap Space Entering Offseason
2024 Total Cap Space $240,500,000
Dead Cap -$11,015,004
2023 Rollover $16,803,513
Top 51 Cap -$157,554,512
Rookie Pool -$6,512,095
Remaining Cap Space $82,221,902

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cuts:

RT Andrew Wylie - $7.83 mil dead cap hit, $1.583 mil in cap savings – he just hasn’t worked out and he’s going to be 31 next year.

TE Logan Thomas - $1.75 mil dead cap hit, $6.565 mil in cap savings – he’s aging and his skills are beginning to decline.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Washington’s pending free agents:

Pending Free Agents
# Position Name 2023 AAV FA Type Re-sign? New Year 1 Cap
1 WR Curtis Samuel $11,500,000 UFA No -
2 CB Kendall Fuller $10,000,000 UFA Yes $12,000,000
3 QB Jacoby Brissett $8,000,000 UFA No  
4 LB Cody Barton $3,500,000 UFA No  
5 OT Cornelius Lucas $3,250,000 UFA No  
6 S Jeremy Reaves $2,627,000 UFA Yes $3,000,000
7 DT Efe Obada $2,000,000 UFA No  
8 DT David Bada $1,575,000 ERFA No  
9 LB Khaleke Hudson $1,500,000 UFA Yes $3,500,000
10 OC Tyler Larsen $1,317,500 UFA No  
11 LB David Mayo $1,317,500 UFA No  
12 HB Antonio Gibson $1,233,159 UFA No  
13 K Joey Slye $1,200,000 UFA Yes $1,300,000
14 WR Jamison Crowder $1,165,000 UFA Yes $2,000,000
15 WR Byron Pringle $1,080,000 UFA No  
16 OG Saahdiq Charles $1,023,593 UFA No  
17 TE Bradon Dillon $870,000 ERFA No  
18 S Kamren Curl $852,082 UFA Yes $10,000,000
19 DE James Smith-Williams $848,175 UFA No  
20 DE Casey Toohill $846,758 UFA Yes $2,000,000

WR Curtis Samuel – I think it’s time to move on for both sides. He’s overpaid for what he provides us and he probably would like a new situation after the coaches leave.

CB Kendall Fuller – Resigned to a $43.5 mil deal with $26 mil guaranteed, AAV of $14.5 mil and Year 1 cap hit of $12 mil. I think it makes sense to bring Fuller back. Forbes doesn’t look ready and letting Fuller leaves just makes a hole on the roster. He’ll be 29 next year so we should be able to get a couple of more decent seasons out of him.   

Contract Comparison: Darius Slay, signed a 3 year $42 mil deal with $24.5 mil guaranteed, AAV of $14 mil and Year 1 cap hit of $11.8 mil.

QB Jacoby Brissett – I don’t have anything wrong with Brissett but he’s going to be 31 next year and whatever new coach comes in will probably bring a QB with him or we will just draft one.

LB Cody Barton – he hasn’t really worked out, time to move on.

OT Cornelius Lucas – He’s solid but aging. I would like to add a lot of new blood to the oline.

S Jeremy Reaves – Resigned to a 1 year $3 mil deal. He played on a 1 year contract last year at around $2.6 mil. He’s a core special teams player and is a good locker room guy.  Bringing him back on another one year deal makes sense.

DL Efe Obada – he’s never made an impact, time to move on.

DL David Bada – I have no idea who this is.

LB Khaleke Hudson – Resigned to a 1 year $3.5 mil deal. This is the same amount of money we gave Barton this year, just give it to Hudson instead.

OC Tyler Larsen – Move on.

LB David Mayo – hell no.

HB Antonio Gibson – its time for both sides to part ways. He fumbles too much and doesn’t have the vision necessary to be a RB.

K Joey Slye – Resigned to a 1 year $1.3 mil deal. He made $1.2 mil last year.

WR Jamison Crowder – Resigned to a 1 year $2.0 mil deal. He’s given us a spark at KR. He had little interest in FA last year so I doubt he gets offered more than this somewhere else.

WR Byron Pringle – Move on.

OG Saahdiq Charles – he hasn’t impressed anywhere on the line in his 4 years here. He isn’t worth paying more than what his rookie deal was.

TE Brandon Dillon – Not sure who this is.

S Kamren Curl – Resigned to a $39 mil deal with $25 mil guaranteed, AAV of $13 mil and Year 1 cap hit of $10 mil. He’s been a big success for us and it makes sense to retain him. He doesn’t make a lot of splash plays that show up on the stat sheet so I don’t think he will require a contract bigger than this.

Contract Comparison: Jalen Thompson, signed a 3 year $36 mil deal with $20.17 mil guaranteed, AAV of $12 mil and Year 1 cap hit of $5.3 mil. They seriously back loaded this deal.

DE James Smith-Williams – I would prefer rookies Andre Jones and KJ Henry get his snaps.

DE Casey Toohill – Resigned to a 1 year $2.0 mil deal. This is the contract we gave Obada this year, give it to Toohill instead.

Total Cap after Resigings and Cuts
2024 Total Cap Space $259,996,314
Dead Cap -$11,015,004
Additional D.C. from cuts -$9,583,334
2023 Rollover $6,358,460
Top 51 Cap -$173,622,846
Rookie Pool -$6,512,095
Remaining Cap Space $65,621,495

Free Agency:

I really struggled to figure out where to spend our money in free agency. It isn’t a very deep free agent class and isn’t particularly strong in our positions of need. I looked hard at the free agent TEs but couldn’t find any I liked. They are either all too old or just not an upgrade over what we already have. Similarly at linebacker, I don’t really care for any of the top options and decided just to add depth there and target that position in the draft.

The one big name I really considered was Tee Higgins as he’s really the jewel of this upcoming free agency class. I wouldn’t be opposed to adding him but Idk if its practical to be paying both him and McLaurin top money. Ultimately I think Higgins will opt for a better situation than a rebuilding team with a young inexperienced QB.

I also seriously considered Josh Jacobs. Yes paying RBs is generally a bad idea but he’s a premium talent and only 26 years old. Having him carry the load could really help Howell out. Will the Raiders really franchise tag him a 2nd year in a row and pay that 20% bump? Not sure. The fact that Idk whether he will actually hit free agency or not made me leave him off of here.

Signings:

1455810638.0.jpg

Signed OG Mike Onwenu to a 4 year $75 mil contract with $30 mil guaranteed, AAV of $18.75 mil and a Year 1 cap hit of $12 mil. This contract would make him the 3rd highest paid Guard in the league. He has been consistently ranked as a top 5 guard in the league by PFF and he will be just 26 years old at the start of next year. The Patriots have a history of letting their players walk in FA so I think he could actually be available. He has played both Guard and RT in for the Pats. Right now I’m projecting him to play Guard for us.

Contract Comparison: Elgton Jenkins, signed a 4 year $68 mil deal with $24 mil guaranteed, AAV of $17 mil and Year 1 cap hit of $7.0 mil.

usa_today_19206558.jpg

Signed DE AJ Epenesa to a 4 year $72 mil contract with $35 mil guaranteed, AAV of $18.0 mil and a Year 1 cap hit of $12 mil. He’s a good young player who has been stuck behind some veterans on the Bills dline which has limited his opportunities. This feels like a lot for a guy who’s been a part time player his whole career to date, but he was a pretty highly regarded prospect coming out of college and this will be cheaper that we would have paid either Sweat or Young.

Contract Comparison: Emmanuel Ogbah, signed a 4 year $65 mil deal with $32 mil guaranteed, AAV of $16.35 mil and Year 1 cap hit of $11.35 mil.

1334209689.jpg

Signed QB Tyler Huntley to a 2 year $16 mil deal with $7 mil guaranteed, AAV of $8 mil and a year 1 cap hit of $8 mil. Backup QB behind Howell, he’s won some games for the Ravens and even somehow made a Pro Bowl after every other QB was injured. He will only be 26 at the start of next season so this just seems like a smart contract he could end up as trade bait down the line.

Contract Comparison: Taylor Heinicke, signed a 2 year $14 mil deal with $6.32 mil guaranteed, AAV of $7.0 mil and Year 1 cap hit of $5.7 mil.

2e026d523713dcaddade2f75dce8e63d

Signed LB Oren Burks to a 2 year $8 mil contract with $2 mil guaranteed, AAV of $4 mil and Year 1 cap hit of $3.5 mil. He’s linebacker depth for us, has experience playing inside and outside. Also a very good special teams player. He’s just here to give us a better option at linebacker when injuries hit hard, or when we want to play 3 linebacker sets. He previously signed a 2 year $5 mil dead with the 49ers so I just bumped that a bit.

Total Cap After Free Agency
2024 Total Cap Space $259,996,314
Dead Cap -$11,015,004
Additional D.C. from cuts -$9,583,334
2023 Rollover $6,358,460
Top 51 Cap -$209,122,846
Rookie Pool -$6,512,095
Remaining Cap Space $30,121,495

NFL DRAFT

607cdaeb418a6ca9ef2b588b58cc9cbd

Heading into the draft the roster still has several major needs. RT, WR, MLB are the 3 most glaring.

I’m using this mock draft simulator to help me tell where players should go, if someone is gone in the simulator I won’t take them (PFF’s only lets you do 3 rounds without subscribing).

https://www.nflmockdraftdatabase.com/mock-draft-simulator

2024 NFL Draft Picks
Round Pick Position Player College
1 11 OT Amarius Mims Georgia
2 37 LB Barrett Carter Clemson
2 42 WR Adonai Mitchell Texas
3 73 TE Brevyn Spann-Ford Minnesota
3 100 OT Matt Goncavles Pittsburgh
4 108 HB Will Shipley Clemson
5 143 CB Kris Abrams-Draine Missouri
6 188 OG Tate Ratledge Georgia
7 230 DE Nelson Ceaser Houston

Amarius-Mims-1.jpg

Round 1 Pick 11 – OT Amarius Mims, Georgia – Mims will come in and start immediately at RT. Huge size at 6’7” 340 lbs. Pretty much dominated his competition last year but has been out this year so far with an ankle injury. He projects has a high end RT candidate and possible future LT.

carter-barrett-fsu.jpg

Round 2 Pick 37 – LB Barrett Carter, Clemson – New starter at MLB. He’s slightly undersized at 6’1” 225 lbs but makes up for it by being good in coverage and can be a 3 down linebacker for us. Pairing him with Davis would give us two fast athletic linebackers.

usatsi_21386421.jpg

Round 2 Pick 42 – WR Adonai Mitchell, Texas – A tall WR with speed, Mitchell’s 6’4” frame would give us something in our WR room we currently don’t have. He will compete for the #3 to #4 WR spot immediately and be insurance in case Dotson continues to struggle.

spannford.jpg

Round 3 Pick 73 – TE Brevyn Spann-Ford, Minnesota – A good blocker with excellent size (6’7” 270 lbs). PFF loves this guy and has him as the 2nd best TE in the draft. He can come in and compete for the starting job right away or end up being depth. With his blocking ability he will prove valuable either way.

DH3_4529-2-scaled.jpg

Round 3 Pick 100 – OT Matt Goncavles, Pittsburgh – Was a possible 2nd round pick before getting injured this season and he may fall in the draft after having surgery (kind of weird, I researched this and could only find “undisclosed injury” for why he had surgery). He has played both RT and LT for Pitt and would immediately be the team’s swing tackle with potential to take over the starting LT role down the line. Worst case I think he ends up as a solid Guard.

FNYJP2SR7ZCW7M7HKEYQORREFU.jpg

Round 4 Pick 108 – HB Will Shipley, Clemson – Versatile pass catching running back to replace Antonio Gibson.

Abrams-Draine__Kris_10022021_MIZ_FB_Mizz

Round 5 Pick 143 – CB Kris Abrams-Draine, Missouri – Athletic CB prospect to add depth at the position.

4595e7c1-f278-4596-a504-1aa3149b55d6.jpg

Round 6 Pick 188 – OG Tate Ratledge, Georgia – More oline depth, played with Mims. Plus check out the mullet.

DSC06260.jpg

Round 7 Pick 230 – DE Nelson Ceaser, Houston – Just took a stab at an edge rusher late.

FINAL ROSTER

Washington Roster
Offense Skill Players
QB Age Cap HB Age Cap FB Age Cap WR Age Cap TE Age Cap
S Howell 24 $1.08 B Robinson 25 $1.38       T McLaurin 29 $24.10 J Bates 26 $1.24
T Huntley 26 $8.00 C Rodriguez 25 $0.96 R Bates 79 24 J Dotson 24 $4.10 C Turner 24 $1.07
      W Shipley 22 $1.03       A Mitchell 22 $1.77 B Spann-Ford 24 $1.12
                  D Brown 25 $1.57 C Hodges 25 $0.99
                  J Crowder 31 $2.00 A Rogers 26 $0.99
                  D Milne 25 $1.07      
                  M Tinsley 25 $0.92      

Offensive Lineman
LT Age Cap LG Age Cap C Age Cap RG Age Cap RT Age Cap
C Leno 33 $15.75 M Onwenu 26 $12.00 R Stromberg 23 $1.21 S Cosmi 25 $2.11 A Mims 22 $4.19
M Goncavles 24 $1.05 C Paul 25 $1.01 N Gates 28 $5.46 B Daniels 24 $1.10 T Scott 30 $1.53
                  T Ratledge 23 $0.85      

Defensive Players
LE Age Cap DT Age Cap RE Age Cap LOLB Age Cap ROLB Age Cap
C Toohill 28 $2.00 J Allen 29 $21.50 AJ Epenesa 26 $12.00 J Davis 25 $4.39 O Burks 29 $3.50
KJ Henry 25 $1.00 D Payne 27 $21.61 A Jones 26 $0.94       K Hudson 26 $3.50
S Toney 26 $1.08 P Mathis 26 $2.05 N Ceaser 23 $0.83            
      J Ridgeway 25 $0.99                  

Defensive Players      
MLB Age Cap CB Age Cap FS Age Cap SS Age Cap      
B Carter 22 $1.92 K Fuller 29 $12.00 D Forrest 25 $1.13 K Curl 25 $10.00      
D White 26 $0.99 B St. Juste 27 $1.62 P Butler 24 $1.18 J Reaves 28 $3.00      
      E Forbes 23 $3.50                  
      D Johnson 28 $2.62                  
      J Martin 24 $1.74                  
      C Holmes 26 $1.01                  
      K Abrams-Draine 23 $0.90                  

Special Teams                  
K Age Cap P Age Cap LS Age Cap            
J Slye 28 $1.30 T Way 34 $3.75 C Cheeseman 26 $1.09            
      T Hamels 68 21 T Hamels 68 21            
Resigned                            
Free Agent Signing

Draft Pick                            

Final Roster Position Analysis

QB – This team will only go as far as Howell takes them. Personally I think he’s earned himself another year as the starter and I don’t think we will be in a position to take a high QB anyway. Huntley comes in as a capable backup and possible trade bait down the road.

HB – Not a lot of change other than adding the rookie Shipley. I know that spending a lot of free agent money on RBs is frowned upon now, but one of the only position groups in this upcoming FA class that has some premium talent is at RB. That is why I think I would seriously consider offering a major contract to Josh Jacobs if he hits the open market. At 26 years old he probably has 3-4 premium years left.

WR – McLaurin is pretty locked in as the team’s #1 and after the first round investment in Dotson I can’t imagine them moving on from him before his rookie deal expires. A second round pick at WR seems right to bring in more talent at the position and Mitchell’s size is something we could use. I think Crowder has been a decent addition this year and deserves to return. We could double dip in the draft with a late round WR to replace either Milne or Tinsley, or even sign another bottom of the roster vet but I just opted to stick with those guys for now.

TE – This position would make a ton of sense to sign a veteran free agent as a new starter but there just aren’t any in the upcoming free agent class that I thought were a significant upgrade over Bates/Turner. It may be better to not cut Logan Thomas and just bring him back for the final year of his deal considering how much cap space we will have. I just wanted to go young at the position though. We have too many other needs to utilize a top pick on TE imo.

OL – We need to inject new blood at multiple positions on the Oline. At LT, unless we expect our first round pick to play LT I anticipate Leno will return for another season. I would like to target a swing tackle in the draft that can maybe take over at LT down the line, which is the reason I targeted Goncavles in the draft. I have no problem with Cornelius Lucas but didn’t bring him back just so we can get younger along the line. Onwenu should be our top priority in free agency imo. He is versatile, having spent time at both OG and RT, is young and is very talented. He’s exactly what we need on the line. Chris Paul is decent dept at Guard. We drafted Stromberg in the 3rd round, he needs a chance to start. I would have cut Gates but he supposedly can backup multiple positions and we don’t really need the cap space so I just kept him. Cosmi isn’t very good imo, I hope they give Braeden Daniels a chance to compete with him to start at RG. Mims makes a lot of sense for us if he’s available in the draft.

DE – This is obviously the unexpected need we have entering the offseason. I couldn’t really find a place in the draft to take an edge rusher. Maybe with the second round pick instead of Carter (and then just signing a free agent MLB) but I thought he was good value there. It also would seem weird to immediately turn around and spend a high draft pick on a DE after the team kind of said they weren’t interested in extending our previously high drafted DEs. I like the Epenesa addition, and maybe we should sign two veteran DEs, but I kind of liked what Toohill has done and we still need to see what KJ Henry and Andre Jones can do.

DT – no need for any change here imo.

LB – top linebackers have signed some stupid contracts lately so I don’t think its smart to sign anyone like Devin White in free agency. One of our second round picks needs to be used on a linebacker imo. Carter should be a good fit as a coverage guy. I brought in Burks just because he can play multiple linebacker positions. He’s like the Wes Schweitzer of linebackers. To me it makes sense to bring back Hudson as depth. There’s probably a need for a 5th linebacker on the 53 man roster, Idk who Drew White is but he’s currently on our 2024 roster per Spotrac. That 5th linebacker on the roster role could be filled by an UDFA or another vet pickup.

CB – I like Fuller and think he’s worth brining back. I guess we could abandon St. Juste and sign another veteran CB if we wanted to, but that would also stunt the growth of our young players Forbes and Martin. Considering the investment we’ve spent on this position in recent draft its makes sense to me to stay put at this position next year. I took Abram-Draine in the 5th, never hurts to have CB depth, but maybe I should have used that pick to double dip at linebacker in the draft.

S - No reason for any change here other than extending Curl. Martin can also compete here.

ST – meh. I’m not going to waste a lot of time here but Cheeseman probably needs to be replaced.

Edited by MKnight82
  • Like 7

7 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Lots to like, some I disagree with. But I am excited to see more of these over the next couple months. I've always followed your Madden Sims and really appreciate the effort you put into this stuff man.

What do/don't you like? I'm down for discussion. I struggled to find players I wanted in free agency. 

10 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

What do/don't you like? I'm down for discussion. I struggled to find players I wanted in free agency. 

I'll go through and break it down more tomorrow. I think the biggest pro at first glance is you focused on need in the draft. The biggest con is I don't think we should be signing any high priced FA to our defensive line. Not super familiar with AJ Epenesa, but I feel they made the decision to not pay either DE we had and trade them both, so I'd be less inclined to believe we sign a DE in FA and more inclined to believe we draft more anywhere in the 2nd-6th rounds.

*edit* Also, that TE room still makes me super uncomfortable as well. 

Edited by Slappy Mc

I don’t see contracts that big being handed out in the first off-season of “The Process”.  I definitely think they opt for 1-2 year deals, higher cap hits, but players can be moved on from easily if they don’t work out.  

Love the draft.  Feel a guy like Ratledge should be someone we target in later rounds.  4-5* recruits who took a bit to get playing time at big programs who develop players really well.  I do feel he’s going to go well before that, however.  Also feel that Mitchell finally gives the team a big receiver.  It feels like we’ve been the smurfs there for decades.  

• Like 1

Cuts: no disagreement from me. Take them both.

Resigning: Don't disagree with any. Happy to have Fuller back. I'd add Tyler Larsen and Lucas at this point.

FA signings: Onwenu would be a jewel, but spending a lot of money on a guard is always a question. Epenesa could work out. I am not in on Huntley at all. I would rather look for another QB (even if it is just Brissett back). I'd prefer Tyrod. 

Draft: I haven't overly done my research yet, and without knowing who went where but...

Mims is fine. We definitely need o-line help. I probably prefer Latham at this point, but we do need a LT eventually. 
I'm high on B Carter. That's a good pick there.
I don't know too much about Mitchell. His size is very impressive though and something we are missing.
Spann-Ford has incredible size and good speed. Might be a gem hidden in a bad offense. 
Doubling up on OT is smart for us with Goncalves, even if someone moves to guard. 
I have had Shipley in all my mocks, so I am on board. I think he goes earlier than that though.
Abrams-Draine I actually watched last week. He might be a high riser with his boom or bust mentality. He's actually closer to Forbes I think. 
The last two, Tate Ratledge and Nelson Ceaser, are good for depth. 

You hit a lot of talent and needs so that's great. I'd probably try for a developmental QB at this point, as I am no Fromm fan. Jayden Daniels is probably who I am highest on. You just never know where QBs are going to go though. 

• Like 2

I think if you're taking Mims at 11 you're passing on a lot better players to do so. That is extremely high for him. Honestly, I think you could get Barton or the BYU tackle later and probably end up better off. Mims is a project. But I like a lot of what you did my friend. Good job!

• Like 1

Real nice post @MKnight82
As far as our free agents, I would give C. Lucas a 2 year contract. He’s played well especially at a premium position (LT). Mims might need some time.

Khaleke Hudson for me can be let go.

The others for me are fine.

Based on my draft picks Mike Onwenu wouldn’t be necessary. Other FA look fine.

Round 1. Pick 11 If were at this pick I would try to trade down(of course it depends on how it fell) but if I had to pick A.Mims is fine but don’t know if he’s plug and play since he only has played 1-1/2 seasons  

Round 2. Pick 37 Zak Zinter  OG/Mich

Round 2. Pick 42 Troy Fautanu  OG/Wash

Round 3. Pick 73 Caelen Carson  CB/Wake Forest

Round 3. Pick 100 Smael Mondon Jr.  LB/Georgia

Round 4. Pick 108 Gavin Bartholomew  TE/Pitt

Round 5. Pick 143 Jermaine Burton  WR/Alabama

Round 6. Pick 188 Curtis Jacobs LB/Penn St

Round 7. Pick 230 Jarquez Hunter  RB/Auburn 

It's a good off-season. The two big FA signings probably won't happen nor should they. The draft seems excellent. I might resign some of our guys like Tyler Larsen, JSW or even Antonio Gibson depending on his price tag. It'd be tough to lose both Curtis Samuel AND Gibson in the same off-season

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, taylor made said:

It's a good off-season. The two big FA signings probably won't happen nor should they. The draft seems excellent. I might resign some of our guys like Tyler Larsen, JSW or even Antonio Gibson depending on his price tag. It'd be tough to lose both Curtis Samuel AND Gibson in the same off-season

Why shouldn’t we sign the guys I said in FA? I may be high on the Epenesa contract, but both top guys I signed are 26 next year at the time of signing. Those are the free agents you want. We also have no one to give cap space to after moving on from Young and Sweat. We might as well use free agency as a way to add talent on top of the draft because we are going to have an absurd amount of cap space.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Why shouldn’t we sign the guys I said in FA? I may be high on the Epenesa contract, but both top guys I signed are 26 next year at the time of signing. Those are the free agents you want. We also have no one to give cap space to after moving on from Young and Sweat. We might as well use free agency as a way to add talent on top of the draft because we are going to have an absurd amount of cap space.

More often than not, Free Agents aren't worth it or bust outright. Example: Us for the last 20+ years. We are in the rebuilding stage. We don't need to take the risk on expensive FA's right now to waste cap space. If we were one or two pieces away from the Superbowl, I could perhaps see it. 

Edited by taylor made
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, taylor made said:

More often than not, Free Agents aren't worth it or bust outright. Example: Us for the last 20+ years. We are in the rebuilding stage. We don't need to take the risk on expensive FA's right now to waste cap space. If we were one or two pieces away from the Superbowl, I could perhaps see it. 

26 year only free agents are the type of players rebuilding teams should be signing.  We have an unbelievable amount of free cap space next year. Even with my proposed signings we’d still have over $30 mil in space available and we really don’t have any young players waiting in the wings for an extension other than maybe Howell. Sitting on empty cap space is a wasted resource. We should be bringing in young talent both via hand draft and free agency. 

• Like 1

I think we should re-sign James Smith-Williams assuming he plays at least average the 2nd half of this season.

I agree with the cuts & who else we should Re-sign as you listed.

I like the draft, I'd probably take different players but I have no issue with who you selected & the positions.

I don't agree with any of the FA signings. Why spend $ on a G or Espenesa? We wouldn't Re-sign Scherff or retain Flowers but were paying $75 mil for a new G? We traded Tez & Chase to sign Espenesa? No thanks.

I think Chris Paul might have what it takes to be our starting LG and in another indictment on Rivera & our current offensive staff for some ridiculous reason they had Saahdiq Charles starting over him. 🤦‍♂️

Next year should be about rebuilding. If Terry, Allen, Payne etc don't want to be a part of it and wanted to be traded in March or on draft day I'd understand it and trade them just like we traded Chase & Tez.

I think we’ll end up with a top 10 pick this year - maybe top 5 - and same in 2025.

2023 Commanders Draft

R1: Joe Alt, LT, Notre Dame

R2: Brock Bowers, TE, Georgia

R2: Treyvon Henderson, RB, Ohio State

R3: Tommy Eichenberg, MLB, Ohio St

R3: Blake Fisher, RT, Notre Dame

R4: Jordan Travis, QB, Florida St

R5: Donovan Jackson, OG, Ohio St

R6: DeVontez Walker, WR, UNC

R7: Zach Frazier, C, WVU

2024 Roster

QB: Sam Howell, Jordan Travis

RB: Treyvon Henderson, Brian Robinson, Chris Rodriguez 

To be continued…

Edited by turtle28

4 hours ago, offbyone said:

Nice work.  I like a lot of the resignings.

-Might as well keep wylie another year, worst he is good depth and the cap hit is too expensive
-If I am dropping Leno I would sign Lucas

Wylie makes $9 mil next year. We can get out of his contract and save space this year. Cutting him is a no brainer.

Then, you cut Leno. Draft a LT in the top 10 to start at LT. Re-sign Lucas to start at RT and draft a RT prospect to compete with Daniels in the mid to late rounds.