Draft Thread (Giants have picks #6,47,70)

Acgott

3 hours ago, minutemancl said:

#2 pick currently. The game against the Patriots is going to be big. We really need Bill to bring his A game. If they can score double digits points, we should lose. 

Maybe the rumors of Belicheck leaving the Patriots next season are true. I’m sure he doesn’t want to leave them with the top pick. 

12 hours ago, minutemancl said:

Of those? Nabers, easily. He's overshadowed by Marvin Harrison Jr, but any other year he'd be WR1. 

Agreed. Nabers is an elite prospect, in the same range as Chase and Jefferson so I would take him. But I could see the Giants taking Alt to protect Jones. With Alt, Neal can also be moved inside to guard.

2 hours ago, Tony7188 said:

Agreed. Nabers is an elite prospect, in the same range as Chase and Jefferson so I would take him. But I could see the Giants taking Alt to protect Jones. With Alt, Neal can also be moved inside to guard.

That's just so much super high capital invested in the OL. Nobody else has invested as much, draft pick wise, as us there and we still suck. Need to take an alternate approach and address other positions high in the draft. QB first, but WR or EDGE second. 

If we end up drafting in the 5 range instead of the 2 range, I think Jayden Daniels may be in the conversation at 5...

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

That's just so much super high capital invested in the OL. Nobody else has invested as much, draft pick wise, as us there and we still suck. Need to take an alternate approach and address other positions high in the draft. QB first, but WR or EDGE second. 

If we end up drafting in the 5 range instead of the 2 range, I think Jayden Daniels may be in the conversation at 5...

I have a hard time seeing that scenario. I don’t think they’ll go QB in the top 10 if the first two are gone.

2 hours ago, minutemancl said:

I think it will become more clear in the coming months that Jayden Daniels is a top 10 lock. 

He may have an Anthony Richardson rise, but I have a hard time seeing us selecting him. Why wouldn’t they trade up to select one of the top QBs if we are set on one. I think they will be aggressive if they target a QB, with one in reach.

8 minutes ago, Acgott said:

He may have an Anthony Richardson rise, but I have a hard time seeing us selecting him. Why wouldn’t they trade up to select one of the top QBs if we are set on one. I think they will be aggressive if they target a QB, with one in reach.

Oh trading up is definitely in play in this scenario for sure. But you know trading is fickle and takes two to tango, so I think Daniels could be an option. 

With the amount of UNC games Schoen and Co have been to, I'm wondering if Maye is their QB1.  

4 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Oh trading up is definitely in play in this scenario for sure. But you know trading is fickle and takes two to tango, so I think Daniels could be an option. 

With the amount of UNC games Schoen and Co have been to, I'm wondering if Maye is their QB1.  

I don’t have the numbers in front of me, but Scheon has definitely attended a bunch of USC games as well. Still it’s a fair question if Maye is their #1. If the top two aren’t available, i still think we’ll good QB in mid rounds.

I honestly cant see Joe Schoen going for anyone other than Williams or Maye. With the win in Washington we just screwed ourselves royally. And i think were gonna beat New England as well. They have more questions at QB then even we do. With those 2 guys gone, i have to think we go for a top flight OT or an EDGE rusher. I have to think its Fashanu / Alt if they are available or maybe a dark horse guy like Jared Verse at EDGE. I have to think in my heart its Alt or Fashanu. Devito took 9 sacks against the Commanders.. its clears as glass the oline needs help. No qb will take that kind of punishment game in and game out. Your just counting down to when they get injured. Have to make a good pick on the oline and have to make it count. 

2 hours ago, Giants4eva said:

I honestly cant see Joe Schoen going for anyone other than Williams or Maye. With the win in Washington we just screwed ourselves royally. And i think were gonna beat New England as well. They have more questions at QB then even we do. With those 2 guys gone, i have to think we go for a top flight OT or an EDGE rusher. I have to think its Fashanu / Alt if they are available or maybe a dark horse guy like Jared Verse at EDGE. I have to think in my heart its Alt or Fashanu. Devito took 9 sacks against the Commanders.. its clears as glass the oline needs help. No qb will take that kind of punishment game in and game out. Your just counting down to when they get injured. Have to make a good pick on the oline and have to make it count. 

I'll agree that we screwed ourselves IF we beat New England, which I do not see happening. Again, Washington was always the most likely win remaining on our schedule. Beating New England would definitely be a big hit to our draft position. 

The best case scenario would be a loss with Devito continuing to look competent. It'd be enough justification to have him start some more games. 

Just reading between the lines, it's hard to imagine we don't end up with one of the top 2 QBs in the draft. It's just a matter of if we have to trade up to get there. But Schoen getting a 2nd RD pick for Leonard Williams and scouting these two QBs immensely are obvious signs. If we really "win" ourselves out of reach, I think we're looking at a trade-back. We have so few guys signed to contracts for 2024 as of today. At a minimum, we need mid-term solutions at QB1/2, RB, WR1/2, G, T, EDGE and S. I think you're going to see a more offensive draft strategy because the defense has some foundational pieces at each level of the defense. Dex, Thibs, Okereke, McFadden and Banks are all locked in for at least the next few years. Even if McKinney and Adoree aren't re-signed (and as of today, I think neither are re-signed), it is easy to find veteran pieces that can start/contribute at those spots. The same can be said for OL and RB, but you absolutely need to hit on QB when needed, then WR and EDGE consistently. For next year's EDGE room specifically, I think they'd be better off spending some $$$ on an EDGE2, relegating Azeez to EDGE3 and maybe drafting a mid-round EDGE4 if the board falls that way.