Week 10: VIKINGS (5-4) vs. Saints (5-4)

swede700

Minnesota put up points on five of its first seven possessions. Things bogged down late, with three consecutive three-and-outs keeping New Orleans’ hopes alive, but ultimately, Dobbs proved he can keep the Vikings in the playoff hunt. With Kevin O'Connell's ability to scheme up wide-open targets each week and Dobbs' headiness in making the right reads and avoiding the big negative plays, the Vikings aren’t going away in the NFC.

NFL.com

9 hours ago, Dolmonite26 said:

Early yet to say for sure but Dobbs seems like he's streaky.

He can get in a rhythm and look really really good and other times the offense/he looks dysfunctional 

Maybe KOC can "coach that flaw out of him"?   Dobbs had mainly defensive-minded coaches before this situation.  He's certainly never had a head coach with NFL QB coach level experience.  He's got a strong arm and seems to be fairly accurate pretty often.  He is reasonably large and strong for a QB, so can stand up to rushers' takles.  He's very mobile and nimble to rwhen that's needed, but looks to make his reads first, and only decides to run when he has no open target and no way to throw the receiver open.  He seems to make good reads, and has a good sense of anticipation of what will happen, judging well, how the plays are developing.  He gets the ball off quickly after making his decisions.  He plays with poise, confidence, and patience to let his receivers' routes develop and open up.  It seems to me that he has a lot of good tools to become a solid NFL starting QB.  He may suffer from bad luck in getting into relatively poor QB teaching situations, and never got much chance to show what he could do, and develop his game.  The Vikings, with a solid OL, and really good receivers, a decent QB coach, and a head coach with QB coaching experience, whose goal is to mold his own QBs into QBs to have the tool box to run his offensive schemes, might be the best chance for him to become an NFL starting QB, even if it will be only until KOC will coach up a drafted player with significantly higher-level skills (and he'd have to move on to another team where his own adequate, but not above-average starter skills would be an upgrade on what they currently have.

Therefore, I think it will be worth keeping Dobbs for next season, while still planning to draft a QB reasonably high in The NFL's 2024 Draft.  We and KOC will see how Dobbs performs to the end of this season, and his decisions will be made partly from that.  But he seems to me to be a good candidate to be at least a bridge QB, rather than just an athletic higher-level Back-up QB candidate.

On 11/11/2023 at 8:50 AM, HEYPAUL! said:

Thank you for at least admitting you made an incorrect assumptions. Noting that Atlanta was top 10 on yards allowed was to show that they weren’t a pushover.

you made some connection about them being a too 10 defense. It’s not my job to help you not make that assumption before you state an argument.

I do not think the Saints have a far superior defense than the falcons. They haven’t played a single good offensive team.

I’ll check back in after the game and we can review this amazing defense that they have. All I have to say is Hock is going to have a stellar game. We will have our best statistical rush game as well.

Fair enough...but an argument that had been made all week was that the Falcons were a top-10 defense...so to make that "assumption" was not a giant leap.  Even after the game, I still believe the Saints are a superior defense to the Falcons.  The Falcons run defense was significantly better, but the Saints pass defense was far superior.  I think that was confirmed by yesterday's game. 

Edited by swede700

1 minute ago, JDBrocks said:

Andrew Booth had some nice ST plays yesterday and 17 defensive snaps. He's had a long road with injuries, but it seems like it's starting to click.

I'm hopeful to start seeing Lewis Cine do some of these things too, but with Theo Jackson and Najee Thompson being ahead of him on the special teams depth, and Jackson on defense as well, the road will be tough for the young man.

I still have hope for him given his physical tools, but his ideal defensive role right now is being played by Harrison Smith and/or Josh Mettellus.

4 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

If Vikings plan is to draft QB and want to keep Dobbs, its going to come down to how much, as Dobbs is pushing up his future contract value now

Who’s cheaper, a younger Dobbs or an older and injured (but better but how much longer) Cousins? Would assume both are starting somewhere next year if Dobbs keeps it up.