2024 Offseason Thread: Dodgers Betting Big On Ohtani

hrubes20

12 minutes ago, BullsandBroncos said:

That's a huge package for a guy that won't be extended. (Boras Client the year before FA never extends)

Is it? And we have examples of Boras guys in this exact situation signing the extension (Lindor, Betts). Zero shot the Yankees would ever be out bid for him so unless he absolutely loathes New York, i don’t think he’d go elsewhere.

King is awesome, but idc about any of the other names lol.

Wait until they sign Yamamoto (sp?) next week…

1 hour ago, bigbadbuff said:

Is it? And we have examples of Boras guys in this exact situation signing the extension (Lindor, Betts). Zero shot the Yankees would ever be out bid for him so unless he absolutely loathes New York, i don’t think he’d go elsewhere.

Lindor and Betts were during Covid

If they were smart they'd do more for 

To sign Yamamoto and Soto to long term deals with a $260 million payroll? With all that money already tied into crappy pitching and overpaid wastes of space like Rodon and Stanton? Wouldnt surprise me but still don't know if Hal has Cohens balls 

12 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Soto is never going to sign an extension anywhere. If he was going to it would’ve happened here in DC. Boras is riding his golden ticket to free agency. 

DC was totally bereft of talent at that point, plus they're not as rich as New York. Also not sure, but doesn't Washington like to defer large parts of their contracts?

12 minutes ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

DC was totally bereft of talent at that point, plus they're not as rich as New York. Also not sure, but doesn't Washington like to defer large parts of their contracts?

Rich in what way? Like TV deal rich? Because the Lerners are like the third richest owners in baseball. They had one of the highest payrolls in baseball for years. The offer they made Soto was $440M with no deferrals and he turned it down because of AAV. The AAV was lower because it was 14 years but it was the largest money ever offered to a player at that time. 

4 hours ago, bigbadbuff said:

Its hard to say

King looked like one of the best pitchers in baseball last year.  If he's an ace, it makes this less lopsided in the short term 

And I've been a big fan of Thorpe think he could be a front line guy

Hurts to lose both those guys and good on San Diego for pulling that in for a rental 

But this is absolutely the right move for the Yankees, get it done 

The other guys are worth something to San Diego but we had way more pitching depth than we needed

12 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Rich in what way? Like TV deal rich? Because the Lerners are like the third richest owners in baseball. They had one of the highest payrolls in baseball for years. The offer they made Soto was $440M with no deferrals and he turned it down because of AAV. The AAV was lower because it was 14 years but it was the largest money ever offered to a player at that time. 

The 14 year extension included buying out two years of team control so he was getting paid for 12 extra years, through age 37, at a ~$30m AAV

Basically 12/360 for his free agent period 

I don't think its far fetched to think a 10-12 year deal in the 40m AAV range could get it done 

My guess is both sides will let the season play out and see what the market looks like though

19 minutes ago, mission27 said:

Its hard to say

King looked like one of the best pitchers in baseball last year.  If he's an ace, it makes this less lopsided in the short term 

And I've been a big fan of Thorpe think he could be a front line guy

Hurts to lose both those guys and good on San Diego for pulling that in for a rental 

But this is absolutely the right move for the Yankees, get it done 

The other guys are worth something to San Diego but we had way more pitching depth than we needed

King could easily be the next Whitlock or Chad Green. He has an injury history plus no track record of holding up as a starter.

As for Thorpe? We've only known him for like a few months so hard to get too attached. Fact is he's a Yankees starting pitching prospect, and Yankees starting pitching prospects usually flame out super fast.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

King could easily be the next Whitlock or Chad Green. He has an injury history plus no track record of holding up as a starter.

As for Thorpe? We've only known him for like a few months so hard to get too attached. Fact is he's a Yankees starting pitching prospect, and Yankees starting pitching prospects usually flame out super fast.

Yep. We’ve seen what 6 weeks of King as a starter? I loved him out of the pen, but we’ve never see him have even half let alone a full season him as a starter. Rooting for him, was one of my favorite Yankees, but he’s not someone you hold up the deal for. As for Thorpe… like you said Yankees grooming starting pitchers isn’t exactly a strong track record.  

Had to do it. Monster trade. Get Yamamoto and flex more.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DirtyDez said:

After Shohei I believe the Harper/Trout type deals will be a thing of the past.  How many of those contracts handed out the past few years would those teams renege on if given the opportunity?

You think the Phillies would take back their deal with Harper? Not a chance in hell.