2024 Offseason Thread: Dodgers Betting Big On Ohtani

hrubes20

8 hours ago, DirtyDez said:

After Shohei I believe the Harper/Trout type deals will be a thing of the past.  How many of those contracts handed out the past few years would those teams renege on if given the opportunity?

I remember putting this exact comment on a forum over 10 years ago.  

These contracts are just going to get bigger and bigger.  

8 hours ago, bigbadbuff said:

Really thought it would’ve been Harper a few years ago but we got an all world lefty bat finally. 

Better late than never, but shunning Harper and CUTTING payroll after 2018 was one of the dumbest, greediest decisions in Yankee history. That team needed a lefty power bat in the worst way, and Harper developed into a fantastic leader to boot. Not trading for Cole was pretty awful too, but I can understand prospect hugging.

5 minutes ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

Better late than never, but shunning Harper and CUTTING payroll after 2018 was one of the dumbest, greediest decisions in Yankee history. That team needed a lefty power bat in the worst way, and Harper developed into a fantastic leader to boot. Not trading for Cole was pretty awful too, but I can understand prospect hugging.

At the time, Harper did not look like a leader and his health history was pretty suspect.  It’s turned into a good deal, but I don’t recall a lot of people thinking that was going to be the case at the time.  

12 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

At the time, Harper did not look like a leader and his health history was pretty suspect.  It’s turned into a good deal, but I don’t recall a lot of people thinking that was going to be the case at the time.  

Yeah I'm aware the average fan hated Harper's guts at the time (and Rendon was the hero...how times have changed). It was probably the peak of anti-player, "pro-efficiency" sentiment among Yankees fans at least. It's like so many of us wanted to be liked by other fans instead of being the entitled scumbags that nature intended.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

King could easily be the next Whitlock or Chad Green. He has an injury history plus no track record of holding up as a starter.

As for Thorpe? We've only known him for like a few months so hard to get too attached. Fact is he's a Yankees starting pitching prospect, and Yankees starting pitching prospects usually flame out super fast.

I agree, it was the right move

I just think theres a realistic scenario where we bomb out of the playoffs, get outbid for Soto, King and/or Thorpe become front line starts in San Diego and everyone is crying again a year from now 

Would have preferred to move someone like Peraza or Pereira because I trust this org. more to develop pitching but it didn't fit San Diego's needs unfortunately so we are where we are

5 hours ago, hrubes20 said:

Dbacks sign Eduardo Rodriguez for 4/80

He signed way early for far less than he theoretically should have been worth. Diamondbacks were one of the teams on his former no trade list. I can only assume that he didn't get the attention he thought he would on the open market.

This guy really wants to stay near his family in Florida. He loves Detroit and really wants to stay there. 🤡

• Like 1

10 hours ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

Yeah I'm aware the average fan hated Harper's guts at the time (and Rendon was the hero...how times have changed). It was probably the peak of anti-player, "pro-efficiency" sentiment among Yankees fans at least. It's like so many of us wanted to be liked by other fans instead of being the entitled scumbags that nature intended.

I would have liked to get Harper at the time. You find (or make) as spot for a bat like that. I've never liked Machado and wasnt concerned NYY decided to take a pass on him.

9 hours ago, mission27 said:

I agree, it was the right move

I just think theres a realistic scenario where we bomb out of the playoffs, get outbid for Soto, King and/or Thorpe become front line starts in San Diego and everyone is crying again a year from now 

Would have preferred to move someone like Peraza or Pereira because I trust this org. more to develop pitching but it didn't fit San Diego's needs unfortunately so we are where we are

You make this move. You dont *not* sign Soto for Michael King. I can live without Brito & Vasquez. Not saying they're bad pitchers necessarily (and SD wanting them is proof) but will they become truly dominant pitchers when (if) they're given a full load? I cant say they will - therefore - you dont hold up signing Soto for Michael King. 

The guy's publicly stated "Everybody wants to play for the Yankees" - so I wouldnt put his signing long term as impossible. He'll be 26 when/if he hits FA. Thats prime territory.

Passan on The Michael Kay Show earlier today.....

https://cms.megaphone.fm/channel/ESP6037677737?selected=ESP6392372391

Short Form: You have a legit shot at getting Soto - you make the deal. Plus - the Ohtani "non-signing" put pressure on the NYY to cut the deal because if TOR, CHI etc failed to get Ohtani....they very well could bring more to their talks to get Soto (if he's still available).

9 hours ago, hrubes20 said:

A couple more moves:

Dbacks sign Eduardo Rodriguez for 4/80

Reds sign Jeimer Candelario for 3/45

Both of those deals seem really reasonable to me.  

Orioles fans are all up in arms about the Rodriguez deal and that being extremely affordable.  I like that deal more than the deals given to Taillon, Bassitt and Walker last year.