Grand Theft Auto 6 (Trailer Confirmed for December)

iknowcool

On 12/4/2023 at 8:22 PM, elevators_rule said:

I wonder how much of we saw is essentially just trailer made footage not representing the game at all? The streets seemed so dense and world so lively, reminds me of the Cyberpunk trailer they first showed ~2 years pre-release that was completely different than the actual game.

Still, hyped and I trust Rockstar quite a bit. I can't remember their last miss.

My only concern from the trailer. 

On 12/5/2023 at 1:42 AM, AkronsWitness said:

The thing to worry about is that it will likely be a PS exclusive for the first year. It didn't come to PC until a year after launch for GTA5. So unless they change their formula, this is actually a 2026 release for most gamers.

Additional thoughts: Why do a trailer 2 years before launch, that's excessive. I'm afraid this game is going to be a let down, not because of the game itself but because of the massive amount of hype it has which is impossible to live up to. GTA6 also better be absolutely flawless at launch with not a single glitch. 12 years to make a single game?? They better bring it and spend all of 2024 play testing this game.

The rumor is console will release first and PC will be after which is not at all surprising.

I wouldn't say it's accurate to say "most" gamers will have to wait though, there are more console gamers than PC gamers simply because it's a lot cheaper.

27 minutes ago, rob_shadows said:

The rumor is console will release first and PC will be after which is not at all surprising.

I wouldn't say it's accurate to say "most" gamers will have to wait though, there are more console gamers than PC gamers simply because it's a lot cheaper.

I'm going to need like a 10k PC to run this I think lol. Gonna have to be a console buy I guess.

2 hours ago, rob_shadows said:

Other way around (I thought the same until I looked it up). 62% of gamers are PC nowadays, 56% console, 35% smartphone and 21% handheld (Switch, Steamdeck). The reason it's 174% is because some have multiple devices like myself who has PC/Switch. I think PC finally passed console during the pandemic where 'building your own gaming PC' became a massive trend aided by the work from home environment and the fact nobody could get their hands on the PS5.

This is also why it's weird if Rockstar continues this. It made sense back when GTA5 released and PC gaming was only 30-40% of the marketshare--but I would like to think with the new shift of where people are gaming they would update their model

Idk though

Edited by AkronsWitness

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

Other way around (I thought the same until I looked it up). 62% of gamers are PC nowadays, 56% console, 35% smartphone and 21% handheld (Switch, Steamdeck). The reason it's 174% is because some have multiple devices like myself who has PC/Switch. I think PC finally passed console during the pandemic where 'building your own gaming PC' became a massive trend aided by the work from home environment and the fact nobody could get their hands on the PS5.

This is also why it's weird if Rockstar continues this. It made sense back when GTA5 released and PC gaming was only 30-40% of the marketshare--but I would like to think with the new shift of where people are gaming they would update their model

Idk though

That can be misleading though, how many of those PC gamers actually play games like GTA6 which will require a high end PC to run vs games that don't have high spec requirements?

I have a 4080 so I should be good but I'm also very impatient so I may buy it for PS5 just to be able to play it sooner then but it later for PC to be able to play with mods 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Idk though

Do they think they get rebuys maybe because there's mods? IDK

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Norm said:

Do they think they get rebuys maybe because there's mods? IDK

I think it might be because Sony/Microsoft are willing to pay to have first priority. Same way Sony had a contract with Activision for years where COD released a month earlier on PS before it came to Xbox.

That's the only thing I can think of because making the system with the largest player base 2nd priority seems like a bad business decision lol Unless they are relying on everyone who has a PC also has a console. I can understand a month long difference, but a full year until it comes to PC seems ridiculous 

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

I think it might be because Sony/Microsoft are willing to pay to have first priority. Same way Sony had a contract with Activision for years where COD released a month earlier on PS before it came to Xbox.

That's the only thing I can think of because making the system with the largest player base 2nd priority seems like a bad business decision lol Unless they are relying on everyone who has a PC also has a console. I can understand a month long difference, but a full year until it comes to PC seems ridiculous 

As I mentioned earlier it's not that simple.... The overall percentage of PC gamers may be higher but I'd be willing to bet a lot of them aren't gaming on high-end $2,000+ PCs that could actually run a game like GTA6. 

Whereas with Xbox and PlayStation you're guaranteed that the entire user base can play your game.

21 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

My only concern from the trailer. 

FWIW, Rockstar only uses in-game footage for the trailers.  Anything can happen I guess but what we saw in the trailer is more than likely what we will get on release.

I read that they said that the leap in graphics between this game and RDR 2 is bigger than the gap between RDR 2 and GTA V.  And RDR 2 still looks like it came out yesterday despite being made on PS4/X1.  

Edited by iknowcool
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

FWIW, Rockstar only uses in-game footage for the trailers.  Anything can happen I guess but what we saw in the trailer is more than likely what we will get on release.

That's nice to know. I don't remember CDPR's trailer for CP2077 and how it utilized in game footage. And what was a cut scene vs. in game action?

1 hour ago, rob_shadows said:

As I mentioned earlier it's not that simple.... The overall percentage of PC gamers may be higher but I'd be willing to bet a lot of them aren't gaming on high-end $2,000+ PCs that could actually run a game like GTA6. 

Whereas with Xbox and PlayStation you're guaranteed that the entire user base can play your game.

I went down a Reddit thread that had some game devs talking and they made it sound like the reason is because of the codebase for the game itself. They can write 1 code for the game and deploy it across all consoles allowing them to kill multiple birds with one stone. Then after that, they can alter the code to port it and optimize it for other systems like PC but that is still labor intensive because they have to make sure the game runs the same on every different type of graphics card as well.

So if I took anything from their conversation is that console is the easiest to develop game code for and they can hit multiple consoles at the same time because they know the specs of the systems to optimize in advance since all consoles can run off the same codebase. PC is last because altering the code to get it to work best without being a buggy mess across so many different GPUs with different specs takes the most time.

So I guess it has nothing to do with contracts or who plays what systems the most moreso than it does what systems allow them to get them game into the most peoples hands the fastest--and since consoles are the easiest to write/optimize code for, they get it first.

He did also say a part of PC being so much later than console is that it allows Rockstar to double dip as well by releasing a PC version that may have advanced features/updates.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 2

I don't share the overhype concerns, GTA as an IP is never really going to 'fail'. It's an experience more than a game.

You get to go around a city causing mayhem... using a variety of different weapons, vehicles, and methods. Future installments can really only improve upon this experience with updated graphics, gameplay, and capabilities. Throw in GTA online and the subsequent GTA RP craze and it's even harder for the game to disappoint. It's just an updated sandbox handed over to the player base with each new installment. 

As far as the social or political stances of the game, I don't think it matters. The game has always existed as a parody of American people, cities, trends, culture, etc. It depicts stereotypes or over the top versions of people from all walks of life and highlights the criminal lifestyle in cartoony way. So for all the unnecessary debate over a video game trailer, I don't think it's really possible for a GTA game to be 'WOKE'. Depicting ethnic minorities and the poor as degenerate, criminal, or immoral caricatures is certainly not 'WOKE' and that's at the core of the brand- even the self pro claimed 'WOKE' people who play the game want and expect those elements. 

I actually anticipate the story to be a step forward from GTA V, where the plot and characters were particularly bland/boring. GTA's story hardly matters but it is a nice addition when it's done well and the world is fleshed out for DLC. 

• Like 1