BDL 2023 Week 10: Baltimore Corviknights @ Cancun Kaiju

RedGold

Who wins?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Baltimore Corviknights
    • Cancun Kaiju

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/16/2023 at 05:00 AM

BDL 2023 Week  10

Match:  Baltimore Corviknights @ Cancun Kaiju

Away Owner:   @people

Home Owner:  @Blue @MWil23

Vote for who you think would win the game.

Rules:
One vote per person, duplicate accounts will be banned and action taken against those attempting to rig the results.

One vote per team involved in the match. Co-owners may vote in every match up except their own.

For members, who have been following along, and wish to vote.  Please join the conversation and maybe give a reason you voted as you did. This will alleviate any suspicions of unusual voting and will promote discussion.

Note: Players that have a (D) next to their name indicate that they are doubtful or unlikely to play. Players with (Q) are game-time decisions.

Good luck to you both

Baltimore 

QB- Lamar Jackson

RB- Alexander Mattison

X- Mike Evans

Z- KJ Osborn

Slot- Jahan Dotson

TE- George Kittle

LT- Penei Sewell

LG- Kevin Dotson

C- Creed Humphrey

RG- Alex Cappa

RT- Luke Goedeke

Bench:
RB Jaylen Warren
RB Cordarelle Patterson
WR Darnell Mooney
WR Braxton Berrios
TE Logan Thomas
TE Durham Smythe
OL Morgan Moses
OL Dan Moore

DE – Kwity Paye
DT – Leonard Williams
DT – Javon Hargrave
DE – A.J. Epenesa
LB – Bobby Wagner
LB – Leo Chenal
CB – Carlton Davis
CB – Byron Murphy
SS – Xavier McKinney
S – Xavier Woods
S – Jevon Holland

Edge 3 – Odafe Oweh
Edge 4 – Dennis Gardeck
INT3 – Raekwon Davis
INT4 – Jonah Williams
LB 3 – Zaven Collins
CB 3 – Tre Herndon
CB 4 – Chidobe Awuzie

Cancun
QB Patrick Mahomes

RB Aaron Jones

X WR Josh Reynolds

Z WR Chris Olave

Slot WR Noah Brown

TE Michael Mayer

LT Laremy Tunsil

LG Isaac Seumalo

C Ryan Kelly

RG Zion Johnson

RT Broderick Jones

RB Rhamondre Stevenson

RB Devin Singletary

FB Kyle Juszczyk

WR Elijah Moore

TE2 Foster Moreau

WR/TE Mike Gesicki

OL6 Nick Gates

OL7 Yosh Nijman

DE Kayvon Thibodeaux

DT Greg Rousseau

DT Jonathan Allen

DE Cameron Jordan

LB Zaire Franklin

LB Pete Werner

CB Cameron Sutton

CB Jerry Jacobs

Star Jalen Pitre

FS Kevin Byard

SS Geno Stone

Edge Michael Danna

Edge Dorance Armstrong

NT Travis Jones

DT Shy Tuttle

CB Zyon McCollum

CB Jack Jones

CB Carrington Valentine

S Marcus Williams

Edited by RedGold

Baltimore

Offense:

3WR/1RB/1TE: 40%

2WR/1RB/2TE: 30%

3 wide Twins: 30%

Heavy RPO and Play Action offense

Utilize Lamar’s legs on designed QB runs and allow him to make plays outside of the pocket

If/When defense adjusts to contain the outsides we will part the seas riding the contain up field giving Lamar inside lanes to beat any spies

Man blocking scheme with Mattison getting 60% of snaps and Warren 40%

Some traps and counters to take advantage of over pursuit

Utilize Kittle on crossers getting him in space

Combo routes to get Evans, Dotson and Osborn attacking all levels of the defense

Utilize motions to help identify coverage, particularly Kittle as we create some 3 Wide/4 Wide looks out of our 2TE/3 Wide bases for added variance. 

Rub route out of twins to free up receivers for quick shots and flooding zones to give Lamar advantages against coverage 

Allow Lamar to take calculated deep shots and utilize Mike Evans’ size down the field

Defense
TL;DR – No explosive plays, force Brittany’s husband to stay patient, use a lot of Cover 2.

We will almost always be in Cover 2, but we will switch between Zone and Man with more zone overall to keep eyes towards Brittany’s husband.  We are not going to allow big plays this week.  We will force Cancun to stay patient and play small ball.

Defensive Line
Cancun has a poopie OL.  Our goal is for the edges to keep contain and force Brittany’s husband to stay in the pocket while our interior guys collapse the middle.  We don’t want Brittany’s husband running around.

LB/SS – Wagner will have the green dot to make sure the defense is in order and will be able to change the call if he sees fit.  He will have the FB in man coverage.  Chenal will play the other LB spot and will have Mayer in man coverage. 

McKinney will be up closer to the LOS and will have Aaron Jones in man coverage.

CB – Davis takes Olave and Byron takes whoever their WR2 is.

If they go with a 3 WR set, Woods will come out for Herndon who takes the slot.  McKinney will go to deep safety, and Wagner will take the RB.

S – Woods and Holland will start out deep and typically stay in that umbrella coverage.

Cancun

Offense: The Baltimore defense is not particularly intimidating at this stage of the season, especially the secondary where the corners have been hurt and/or bad. We have the benefit of playing at home this week, so we will stick to our base formation as much as possible and use a hurry-up offense to prevent Baltimore from rotating linemen in and out of the game. Our tight end group, once again a platoon of about four players rotating in and out, will typically chip to Jones's side before going out on curls, flats, and slant routes. This will wear down their defensive line and give Mahomes plenty of time to work the cornerback group.

In the run game, we aren’t real bothered about running on Leonard Williams, who has not had a good season, and we’ll make sure to get two hats on Hargrave. Jones and Stevenson will rotate pretty evenly as we get our backs around 10-12 carries each this week.

We want to go after Carlton Davis when he’s matched up with Chris Olave, if Davis even plays coming off a three-touchdown performance and a nagging toe injury. We love Josh Reynolds matching up against the struggling Byron Murphy too, so we’re not going to shy away from either of the outside corners, especially on intermediate and deep routes. Our plan is to abuse the outside corners until the defense is forced to give safety help over the top, then mercilessly attack the slot corner and linebackers over the middle.

Defense: This week we get Baltimore, led by Lamar Jackson. They have a capable running game with Evans on the outside and Kittle commanding a lot of attention at the TE spot. We understand that we will need to account for Jackson in the running game as well as when he scrambles. As good as Lamar is, he does struggle with consistency throwing outside of the numbers as well as on the deep ball, and he likes to throw to his TE in the middle of the field.

We will be playing a lot of off coverage on the outside and allocating a safety in the robber for the middle of the field, with a linebacker underneath and other safety over the top.

c3590ba2d4882db0f742665800675b25_crop_ex

More importantly, we will keep contain and send most of our pressures from the nickel apex from the slot, with the weak side LB occupying Lamar as a spy if he tries to go out the backside A/B gap, denying him the opportunity to scramble and forcing him to make quick throws outside the numbers where he struggles.

b683bf5783783c53c4899779f41211b5_crop_ex

We like this look because it gives us an extra hat on Lamar for quarterback read option plays on early downs:

Zn-Read-WVa-1.png?fit=1307,697&ssl=1

The linebacker takes on the running back unblocked giving Lamar a give read while if he tries to get outside, the bonus defender in the apex matches that athleticism as opposed to getting him matched against a linebacker, while maintaining 8 in the box.

We plan on making someone other than Lamar or Kittle beat us, and frankly we don’t think that’s possible.

Edited by RedGold

Baltimore O vs Cancun D

Unlike what is said in Cancun plan, Lamar has been a very consistent thrower outside the numbers in the intermediate area. The deep ball has, however, indeed not been his friend - outside or inside. Cancun plan is extremely aggressive - too aggressive imho - and Lamar will escape in some plays and just go off or find Kittle/Evans for big gains. Kittle in particular can have a field day here. I do think Baltimore can run inside as well against a very light front. Alex Capp s**** but the rest of the OL is fairly solid. The issue for Baltimore is quite obviously the lack of playmakers outside of Evans/Kittle (and Lamar obviously). Warren emergence is welcomed, but Dotson is too inconsistent as of now.

Cancun O vs Baltimore D

The uptempo offense doesn't really work for me here. I think Baltimore DL as fairly deep but lacking elite talent. With the starting 4 probably the best run defending unit and Cancun OL not being that good, I don't think the running game really works for me here. I do think Cancun has a big advantage outside with Olave. Noah Brown pickup looks clutch right now too - might be the difference maker for the playoffs for Cancun. Yet, with a cover 2 scheme - man or zone - I do think Baltimore succeeds in not allowing the big play. And I don't know if Cancun has the OL to put consistent drives over and over.

Going with Baltimore in a shocker. 27-23

2 hours ago, TedLavie said:

Cancun OL not being that good

I don't know if Cancun has the OL to put consistent drives over and over.

My center is having an All-Pro season, my left tackle is one of the best in the league, and Broderick Jones has been really good now that Pittsburgh has finally given him the starting job. Nobody is going to claim I have great guard play but Seumalo has been pretty good. Really tired of the baseless slander of my offensive line.

3 hours ago, TedLavie said:

Baltimore O vs Cancun D

Unlike what is said in Cancun plan, Lamar has been a very consistent thrower outside the numbers in the intermediate area. The deep ball has, however, indeed not been his friend - outside or inside. Cancun plan is extremely aggressive - too aggressive imho - and Lamar will escape in some plays and just go off or find Kittle/Evans for big gains. Kittle in particular can have a field day here. I do think Baltimore can run inside as well against a very light front. Alex Capp s**** but the rest of the OL is fairly solid. The issue for Baltimore is quite obviously the lack of playmakers outside of Evans/Kittle (and Lamar obviously). Warren emergence is welcomed, but Dotson is too inconsistent as of now.

Cancun O vs Baltimore D

The uptempo offense doesn't really work for me here. I think Baltimore DL as fairly deep but lacking elite talent. With the starting 4 probably the best run defending unit and Cancun OL not being that good, I don't think the running game really works for me here. I do think Cancun has a big advantage outside with Olave. Noah Brown pickup looks clutch right now too - might be the difference maker for the playoffs for Cancun. Yet, with a cover 2 scheme - man or zone - I do think Baltimore succeeds in not allowing the big play. And I don't know if Cancun has the OL to put consistent drives over and over.

Going with Baltimore in a shocker. 27-23

Facing a very aggressive defense on Sunday and against the Browns depleted secondary, he threw 2 INT, one that went for 6 the other way, was sacked 3 times, and has eclipsed 250 yards exactly one time this year.

You’re entitled to your opinion but it certainly wouldn’t be through the air.

26 minutes ago, Blue said:

My center is having an All-Pro season, my left tackle is one of the best in the league, and Broderick Jones has been really good now that Pittsburgh has finally given him the starting job. Nobody is going to claim I have great guard play but Seumalo has been pretty good. Really tired of the baseless slander of my offensive line.

Kelly is playing awesome. Tunsil is a great player but run blocking has never been his forte - which is important in the context you're quoting. The three other players are average NFL-level / below average BDL-wise. So no, your OL isn't that good. It's not awful, but it is at best average.