Week 11: San Francisco 49ers vs Tampa Bay Buccaneers

J-ALL-DAY

1 minute ago, 757-NINER said:

We'll just have to agree to disagree on Huf.

It was a play early in the first half where he got caught trying to potential jump an in-breaking route and allowed a big gain along the seam because he either forgot or didn't recognize he was responsible for the go route. He has at least one of those types of plays almost every game.

He's been very hit or miss in terms of his run fits, especially when he has outside contain. I'm not going to get too much in the weeds, but I expect more fundamentally sound football from him in year three.

I understand that we're going to give up the dink & dunk to most teams. That's what the defense is geared to do... make teams repeatedly be precise on the short stuff and screen us to death to combat our aggressiveness to get in the backfield. 

But there's no way we should be giving up these 3rd and longs repeatedly. That is the down & distance this defense was built to thrive in, and we haven't been getting off the field enough for me in those instances. Anything longer than a 3rd & 5 should be playing directly into our wheelhouse.

I do agree that running the off-man behind the blitz is not cutting it. I don't think Wilks is utilizing the match-up zone enough or combo coverages as a whole. We should be running more zones that tie into the pass-rush. We're at our best when the backend has their eyes on the QB and can break on plays in front of them. We still work function best out of zone in obvious passing situations. I do like seeing more man in certain instances and against certain QBs. But on money downs, we should be throwing more coverage traps at QBs like Baker instead of trying to 'get home' with the blitz.

He allows one of those every game? That's where I just totally disagree. We were literally leading the league by a big margin in the least amount of 20+ yards receptions allowed. Huf and Gibson are a big part of that. There was a mistake by Huf leading to the first TD no doubt but that hasn't happened often this season. Again, does it not matter that we are leading the league in limiting big plays and Hufanga has only allowed one TD in 10 games compared to allowing 6 last year? 

Wilks is trying to have his cake and eat it to by having the near side corner play off man while bringing the blitz. He doesn't want to allow the big play and is wanting the reward of the blitz but it just leads to wayyyy too many 3rd down conversions by the opposing offense. Put Ward in press man and live with the results. You hardly completely anything on him on deep balls to the sidelines and when he does allow catches, it's because he is playing off man and his movement skills are just not that fluid to turn his hips on a dime. That's one adjustment that needs to happen ASAP.  

3 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Just random, but I remember after the 2020 SB run for the Bucs, Devin White was getting a lot of hype because he made a ton of flashy plays and some fans thought he was better than Warner...My goodness what a take that was lol. 

Let’s not also forget Shaq Leonard the LB for the Colts. It’s been fairly quiet on his play. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Just random, but I remember after the 2020 SB run for the Bucs, Devin White was getting a lot of hype because he made a ton of flashy plays and some fans thought he was better than Warner...My goodness what a take that was lol. 

Most fans don't appreciate the coverage ability. 

Hell, I don't even think places like PFF appreciate it. I mean, they'll ding him for a -2 on a play where he (unsuccessfully) carries Brandin Cooks 30 yards down the field and it's like, "dude, he's the only linebacker in the game who can even attempt that....the fact that he's not successful at it every time getting the worst grade you can give is preposterous".

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

He allows one of those every game? That's where I just totally disagree. We were literally leading the league by a big margin in the least amount of 20+ yards receptions allowed. Huf and Gibson are a big part of that. There was a mistake by Huf leading to the first TD no doubt but that hasn't happened often this season. Again, does it not matter that we are leading the league in limiting big plays and Hufanga has only allowed one TD in 10 games compared to allowing 6 last year? 

Wilks is trying to have his cake and eat it to by having the near side corner play off man while bringing the blitz. He doesn't want to allow the big play and is wanting the reward of the blitz but it just leads to wayyyy too many 3rd down conversions by the opposing offense. Put Ward in press man and live with the results. You hardly completely anything on him on deep balls to the sidelines and when he does allow catches, it's because he is playing off man and his movement skills are just not that fluid to turn his hips on a dime. That's one adjustment that needs to happen ASAP.  

It's not always a 20+ gain but yes, he has lapses in coverage that lead to a converted first down or he doesn't fit his gap properly, which results in an 8-yard run play instead of a 1- or 2-yard gain.

I'm not calling Huf a bum or anything. He's still very good for us when he's deployed effectively. And I understand he is being used differently. But there are plays, routine plays where it seems like he falls asleep at the wheel.

Just now, 757-NINER said:

It's not always a 20+ gain but yes, he has lapses in coverage that lead to a converted first down or he doesn't fit his gap properly, which results in an 8-yard run play instead of a 1- or 2-yard gain.

I'm not calling Huf a bum or anything. He's still very good for us when he's deployed effectively. And I understand he is being used differently. But there are plays, routine plays where it seems like he falls asleep at the wheel.

Yeah, but the numbers don't back that up and they eye test does not either. If you have specific plays you remember, list them and I will go back and try to watch them. Only thing that has changed is the Hufanga is not playing nearly as much by the LOS as he did last year but his coverage and discipline is FAR better. PFF's stats can be flawed, but they have him down for allowing 14 catches.....for 76 yards. That is before yesterday's game and he was definitely responsible for a 20+ yard reception so the numbers will be different...Still, pretty damn good overall. 

Hufanga would have ended with 4-5 INTs just as he had last season. 

15 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Yeah, but the numbers don't back that up and they eye test does not either. If you have specific plays you remember, list them and I will go back and try to watch them. Only thing that has changed is the Hufanga is not playing nearly as much by the LOS as he did last year but his coverage and discipline is FAR better. PFF's stats can be flawed, but they have him down for allowing 14 catches.....for 76 yards. That is before yesterday's game and he was definitely responsible for a 20+ yard reception so the numbers will be different...Still, pretty damn good overall. 

Hufanga would have ended with 4-5 INTs just as he had last season. 

It's not about the ints for me personally.

Huf will always be a ball magnet.

Some players just have a knack for being able to come down with the ball when the opportunities present themselves.

But the ints don't equate to being in the right spot at the right time, play after play, run & pass.

People look at the ints and think he's always where he should be and that's not the case.

3 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

It's not about the ints for me personally.

Huf will always be a ball magnet.

Some players just have a knack for being able to come down with the ball when the opportunities present themselves.

But the ints don't equate to being in the right spot at the right time, play after play, run & pass.

People look at the ints and think he's always where he should be and that's not the case.

Sure, I also referenced his coverage numbers and the far less missed tackles he has this season compared to last year. So what exactly is it about if it is not about those three things? 

Welp, that turned out to be a great birthday present yesterday.  The win AND the Seattle loss.  Oh, and I realized Fred Warner and I have the same birthday.  He was born the year I graduated high school.  

Wasn't quite an ugly win, but not dominant, either.  Frustrating at times.  Screen plays and 8-10 yard passes to the sideline just seem to be money for opposing teams.  You can bet the Seahawks and Eagles are noticing that.  Hopefully, Shanahan and Wilks are working on that.

I'm absolutely loving the fact that Purdy takes those downfield shots.  Keeps the defense honest and sometimes a guy like BA grabs it runs it in for a 76 yard touchdown.  This is what was missing with Jimmy.  You don't need to do that twice a drive like the 'ole Flacco special to take advantage.

• Like 5

19 hours ago, Gravity said:

Did Luter play today for us?

He played 11 snaps on special teams: 6 snaps at L1 (left oustide) on kick coverage, 1 snap as left gunner and 1 snap as right gunner on punt coverage, and 3 snaps as the left inside jammer on punt return.

• Like 3

Below are Pro Football Focus' five highest-graded 49ers players on offense against the Buccaneers.

George Kittle, TE, 87.8, 58 snaps
Brandon Aiyuk, WR, 87.6, 53 snaps
Brock Purdy, QB, 82.6, 60 snaps
Trent Williams, LT, 74.8, 58 snaps
Christian McCaffrey, RB, 69.7, 52 snaps

Below are the five highest-graded 49ers players on defense.

Fred Warner, LB, 83.9, 71 snaps
Arik Armstead, DT, 83.6, 53 snaps
Tashaun Gipson Sr., FS, 80.1, 71 snaps
Nick Bosa, DE, 78.6, 62 snaps
Deommodore Lenoir, CB, 77.2, 71 snaps

Below are the three lowest-graded 49ers players on offense.

Charlie Woerner, TE, 47.2, 22 snaps
Jauan Jennings, WR, 52.0, 20 snaps
Kyle Juszczyk, FB, 55.9, 25 snaps

Below are the three lowest-graded 49ers players on defense.

Talanoa Hufanga, FS, 29.4, 35 snaps
Oren Burks, LB, 37.2, 14 snaps
Clelin Ferrell, DE, 48.8, 20 snaps

How did rookie safety Ji'Ayir Brown do in his first significant playing time, filling in for an injured Talanoa Hufanga? He just missed the top five 49ers defenders, earning the sixth-highest grade (76.8) among his defensive teammates. He recorded a coverage grade of 70.6 and the highest tackling grade on the team, with an 83.6 mark. Brown finished with four tackles, three passes defensed, and an interception in his 36 defensive snaps, and Mayfield had a passer rating of 56.3 when targeting him.

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/174581-worst-graded-players-buccaneers-counts/

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe