2024 WR Talk

nicfre2011

What are people's views of Ainias Smith? He was a guy who always flashed to me when casually watching. Curious if he holds up on a deeper dive. Seemed like his YAC skills could be a high-level NFL trait. (And that's what I look for with Day 3 WRs. Some trait you can hang your hat on.)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jrry32 said:

What are people's views of Ainias Smith? He was a guy who always flashed to me when casually watching. Curious if he holds up on a deeper dive. Seemed like his YAC skills could be a high-level NFL trait. (And that's what I look for with Day 3 WRs. Some trait you can hang your hat on.)

Love him. Best return man in the class. I think if you’re looking for a Harvin-type player, Smith is the best you’re going to find in the class. If you need a pure playmaker, Smith is that guy.

He is raw as a receiver & body catches way too much, but as a dude you can manufacture touches for…I really like him. He is my only real sleeper at WR this year aside from Roman Wilson, who has seemingly surpassed the “late round” label with a great Senior Bowl week. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Ja'Lynn Polk is quietly pretty good.  I haven't dug super deep on a lot of this class yet.  But i've come across enough of Polk in the process, to know he's got some real talent.  Probably more of a bit/role player in most schemes.  But i love receivers who can play that role effectively, even if they're not the most flashy and glamorous.  Just seems like a guy who is going to be a downfield chain mover.  Like a "Poor Mans Mike Evans".  If you throw it there, that's where they'll be down.  But they'll go get it there, probably.

Hard to value that highly in a pretty stacked class with a lot of more versatile, well-rounded receivers.  But there's definitely still a place for Polk in an offense.

Polk is legit. Great ball skills, tracks the deep ball and can make contested catches. He’s a good receiver who would be getting more attention if his teammate wasn’t in the draft.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jrry32 said:

I think the key is the team that drafts him. They could maximize his talent or they could waste it. While I don't think he is the next Deebo, I do think he could help in that role for most teams. Sadly I expect most teams in the League would just send him back to return.

What would pragmatically make him a good pick is he is an emergency wr or rb and he would thus be more likely to stick on the team. What would make him a bad pick is all off the field.

But to answer your question I see what most people see, which is a wr/rb hybrid with mebbe not quite enough size.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Techbert said:

I think the key is the team that drafts him. They could maximize his talent or they could waste it. While I don't think he is the next Deebo, I do think he could help in that role for most teams. Sadly I expect most teams in the League would just send him back to return.

What would pragmatically make him a good pick is he is an emergency wr or rb and he would thus be more likely to stick on the team. What would make him a bad pick is all off the field.

But to answer your question I see what most people see, which is a wr/rb hybrid with mebbe not quite enough size.

Curious if he is the type of player that could make an impact for the Chiefs in the way that Mecole Hardman, Skyy Moore, and Kadarius Toney couldn't. They failed to develop and the team had a hard time even manufacturing touches for them to get them going. I would love to see them add a dynamic playmaker that could be used all over...I like your idea of an explosive player getting snaps at RB, WR, PR, and KR.

Edited by nicfre2011
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, jrry32 said:

I love him.  He's got "playmaker" written all over him imo.  I see him as a sort of "poor man's Deebo".  But with that said, it's definitely going to be a bit more sensitive to what sort of situation he lands in, and if the coaches can figure out how to use him properly.  Gonna be one of those guys where you want to find some different ways to scheme the ball into his hands and let him run wild, pick up YAC for sure.  Some teams are obviously a lot better at that, and have a lot more room for that sort of player than others.  I'm not sure how his skillset really holds up as a more conventional receiver, but even just running a bunch of crossers, quick slants, etc., i think he's got playmaking ability to get value just doing that.

If he makes it to Day3, that's an absolute steal imo.

6 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Wow.  Odunze at 70% really jumps off the page there.  That's a wild outlier.  I'm not sure if that says more about him, or Penix though.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2024 at 10:50 PM, Tugboat said:

I think you're still kinda missing the point here.  Nacua going Day 3 is...a huge scouting failure.  That's not a vindication of, "all that scouting was worth it".  It's...just, everybody whiffed on the evaluation, including the team that ultimately scooped him up Day 3.

If that team had any real clue that he was going to be nearly that good, they'd have been racing to make him a much earlier pick.  The Rams picked SEVEN other players before they finally thought Pua was the best "value".  😆  They clearly didn't have a clue what they were getting there.

That's what most Day 3 hidden gems and "steals" are.  A big dash of luck and a lot of collective scouting failure across the league.  Where maybe some particular scout is thrown a bone and are just banging the table for a guy because they "see something" there.  But the scouting and management as a whole haven't evaluated that player as "worth" a Day 1/2 pick.  And the reality of scouting is...that particular scout has probably also been certain that they "saw something special" in a whole bunch of chumps who washed out of the league before they even finished their rookie contracts.

The real "scouting wins" are when you have those "wtf?" picks on Day 1 or 2 that the consensus had going much much later, that a team has the conviction to go up and "overdraft" completely off script.  Get raked over the coals through the whole post-draft post mortem for months...until that player hits the field and suddenly explodes into a star.  Then everyone scrambles to revise history and posture as though it was somehow an obvious thing that this guy was going to be a stud because of this or that, retroactively.  

Edited by ramsinnv
Double post
  • Like 1

On 2/2/2024 at 11:16 AM, chiefs82 said:

Thoughts on Brenden Rice?

i like him somewhere in the middle of the 3rd rd.

Big, fast and is good at high pointing the ball.

His production hasn't matched his talent level yet, but I think his best football is ahead of him.

4 hours ago, Kirby Drive said:

i like him somewhere in the middle of the 3rd rd.

Big, fast and is good at high pointing the ball.

His production hasn't matched his talent level yet, but I think his best football is ahead of him.

This, but he lacks any suddenness to his routes. Very robotic as a route runner, which is weird given his pedigree. I like him, but he strikes me as somebody who will need to develop his route running if he’s gonna be good. 

• Like 1

On 2/3/2024 at 7:30 AM, BetterCallSaul said:

Love him. Best return man in the class. I think if you’re looking for a Harvin-type player, Smith is the best you’re going to find in the class. If you need a pure playmaker, Smith is that guy.

He is raw as a receiver & body catches way too much, but as a dude you can manufacture touches for…I really like him. He is my only real sleeper at WR this year aside from Roman Wilson, who has seemingly surpassed the “late round” label with a great Senior Bowl week. 

Sign me up for this. Gotta a bit of Tank Dell in him.

Thoughts on Ricky Pearsall and do y'all think he falls to the 4th?

On 2/3/2024 at 9:03 AM, Techbert said:

He's a playmaker, cant ever have too many of those. I'm hoping for either Smith or Pearsall in the 4th for the Texans. What off field stuff does Smith have. I've got friends that went to A&M that says he's as solid of a person as can be and was a team leader.