2024 WR Talk

nicfre2011

UW WR Rome Odunze confirmed today that he broke a rib and punctured a lung recovering an onside kick against Arizona. He was in the hospital until nearly 5 am that night, and his mother and two UW trainers took turns driving him on a 23-hour trip back to Seattle.

Two weeks later -- after a bye -- Odunze caught eight passes for 128 yards and two touchdowns (including the game-winner) in UW's 36-33 win over Oregon. He never missed a game.
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Shylo3716 said:
UW WR Rome Odunze confirmed today that he broke a rib and punctured a lung recovering an onside kick against Arizona. He was in the hospital until nearly 5 am that night, and his mother and two UW trainers took turns driving him on a 23-hour trip back to Seattle.

Two weeks later -- after a bye -- Odunze caught eight passes for 128 yards and two touchdowns (including the game-winner) in UW's 36-33 win over Oregon. He never missed a game.

Yep kid is an iron man

Thoughts on Devontez Walker from UNC? Both Trevor Sikkema and Connor Rogers from NFL Draft Stock Exchange are really high on Walker and on their latest podcast on WRs mentioned as a solid 1st round prospect with a skillset to be a #1 WR in the NFL.

Edited by nicfre2011

On 12/14/2023 at 7:04 PM, nicfre2011 said:

Thoughts on Devontez Walker from UNC? Both Trevor Sikkema and Connor Rogers from NFL Draft Stock Exchange are really high on Walker and on their latest podcast on WRs mentioned as a solid 1st round prospect with a skillset to be a #1 WR in the NFL.

I agree with them. Big, fast, and productive. Raw and doesn’t have nuanced route running, but he’s not Denzel Mims raw. I always see him in rounds 3-4, which seems insane to me. 

8 hours ago, BetterCallSaul said:

I agree with them. Big, fast, and productive. Raw and doesn’t have nuanced route running, but he’s not Denzel Mims raw. I always see him in rounds 3-4, which seems insane to me. 

I was pretty impressed when I dug a little deeper into Walker after Sikkema and Rogers spoke so highly of him. They also really liked Brian Thomas and Troy Franklin and had Walker, Thomas, and Franklin closely grouped together and talked about how all three had similar prospect profiles.

What are your thoughts on Thomas and Franklin if you were to consider their strengths, weaknesses, and positional projects?

Sikkema and Rogers also raised major concerns about Keon Coleman and the concerns with his inability to separate as a major red flag. They still had him ranked fairly high but really seemed to harp on that concern with Coleman.

48 minutes ago, nicfre2011 said:

I was pretty impressed when I dug a little deeper into Walker after Sikkema and Rogers spoke so highly of him. They also really liked Brian Thomas and Troy Franklin and had Walker, Thomas, and Franklin closely grouped together and talked about how all three had similar prospect profiles.

What are your thoughts on Thomas and Franklin if you were to consider their strengths, weaknesses, and positional projects?

Sikkema and Rogers also raised major concerns about Keon Coleman and the concerns with his inability to separate as a major red flag. They still had him ranked fairly high but really seemed to harp on that concern with Coleman.

Big Brian Thomas fan. However his usage is mostly vertical. You see very little of the dynamic underneath stuff from him and I don’t believe it is because of lack of ability to separate or make quick cuts but that it is scheme and that is how they use him. I want to see him do the agility drills at the combine though. Franklin is a bit more slight of frame but also a vertical weapon I have however seen more underneath routes in his tree. Feel like both could go from 20-32 and be instant Robins to a teams Batman. 

• Like 2

On 12/14/2023 at 6:21 AM, Shylo3716 said:

How does one breathe with punctured lungs, let alone play football?

Can someone give me a quick rundown of who the potential true studs of this WR class are that could be available between picks 20-32?

I think this is the year the Bills heavily invest in the WR position and likely target it round 1. Gabe Davis is likely gone, Diggs is slowing down and Shakir is probably tapped out as a WR 3.

Bills and Allen tend to like the quicker guys who get in and out of breaks and create separation that way as opposed to big body WR's for what it's worth. 

19 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

Can someone give me a quick rundown of who the potential true studs of this WR class are that could be available between picks 20-32?

I think this is the year the Bills heavily invest in the WR position and likely target it round 1. Gabe Davis is likely gone, Diggs is slowing down and Shakir is probably tapped out as a WR 3.

Bills and Allen tend to like the quicker guys who get in and out of breaks and create separation that way as opposed to big body WR's for what it's worth. 

Just kinda depends on what you want/need at WR.  I'd imagine that the top 4 WRs (MHJ, Nabers, Coleman, and Odunze) are long gone by the time the Bills pick.  You've got Emeka Egbuka, Brian Thomas, Xavier Worthy, Adonai Mitchell, Xavier Legette, and Troy Mitchell as potential late Day 1 WRs.  Not sure any of those are clearly stud WRs, but they're all pretty good in their own regards.  Although, outside of Egbuka and Worthy they're more in the "jumbo WR" variety.  Not saying they're the big, sluggish WRs but they're not the smaller, twitchier WRs.  Egbuka probably fits more what you're looking for.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

Just kinda depends on what you want/need at WR.  I'd imagine that the top 4 WRs (MHJ, Nabers, Coleman, and Odunze) are long gone by the time the Bills pick.  You've got Emeka Egbuka, Brian Thomas, Xavier Worthy, Adonai Mitchell, Xavier Legette, and Troy Mitchell as potential late Day 1 WRs.  Not sure any of those are clearly stud WRs, but they're all pretty good in their own regards.  Although, outside of Egbuka and Worthy they're more in the "jumbo WR" variety.  Not saying they're the big, sluggish WRs but they're not the smaller, twitchier WRs.  Egbuka probably fits more what you're looking for.

Solid list of names. Although I'd argue that Worthy or Brian Thomas with Josh Allen would be a better fit than Egbuka. I'd even take Legette and Franklin (you meant Troy Franklin I assume) over Egbuka but I'm lower on him than most 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DirtyDez said:

Is Marv the best prospect since Megatron?  Probably between him AJ Green and Ja’Marr Chase.  Chase fell a bit because he skipped his Jr year. 

Yes he is. He reminds me of a much more explosive AJ Green. He isn’t crazy fast, but he is more sudden than AJ ever was.

Chase was good, but I didn’t have him as being elite elite as a prospect. He was my #1, but IIRC, I had Devonta Smith ahead of him. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I think Xavier Leggette would be awesome with Josh Allen. Big and fast track star in the mold of a DK Metcalf. He’s not as good as DK was, but that is an archetype that I think Allen would LOVE to have. 

• Like 1