2024 WR Talk

nicfre2011

7 hours ago, DirtyDez said:

Goodness:

I don’t think Marvin Harrison has elite speed. It’s good and certainly not going to be a point of contention for NFL teams, but he looks like a 4.45 guy on tape. He isn’t a freak—he’s a good to great athlete who does the actual football things at an elite level. Fundamentally, the guy is off the charts. 

39 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

I don’t think Marvin Harrison has elite speed. It’s good and certainly not going to be a point of contention for NFL teams, but he looks like a 4.45 guy on tape. He isn’t a freak—he’s a good to great athlete who does the actual football things at an elite level. Fundamentally, the guy is off the charts. 

Soneone on twitter said he timed him catching it at the 5 yard line at 3.8 and that was with him fading a bit.  Granted it wasn’t a 40 yard dash setup.  I think he’s more explosive than ppl think.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/28/2023 at 11:51 AM, CWood21 said:

Just kinda depends on what you want/need at WR.  I'd imagine that the top 4 WRs (MHJ, Nabers, Coleman, and Odunze) are long gone by the time the Bills pick.  You've got Emeka Egbuka, Brian Thomas, Xavier Worthy, Adonai Mitchell, Xavier Legette, and Troy Mitchell as potential late Day 1 WRs.  Not sure any of those are clearly stud WRs, but they're all pretty good in their own regards.  Although, outside of Egbuka and Worthy they're more in the "jumbo WR" variety.  Not saying they're the big, sluggish WRs but they're not the smaller, twitchier WRs.  Egbuka probably fits more what you're looking for.

This draft feels so deep at WR to me.  Not only an absolute elite guy capping off the class, but there are a ton of really solid WRs of various types.  But fortunately for the Jaguars, and what they at least should be looking for, there's a seemingly unusual number of those "jumbo" type receivers that should be around from the mid-1st to somewhere in the 2nd round.  Which seems pretty perfect.

Not as many of the darty little fellers as usual though, perhaps.  There's a few, but maybe not as special and purely speedy as a lot of years.  So a team looking for that may come away a little bit disappointed.  But the big receivers this year, looks like great depth to me.  Lots of different profiles within that too.  I'd add Devontez Walker to that list as well.  He's another good one with real potential.

Ainias Smith is another one who i could see be more interesting to a team like Buffalo if they're looking for a bit of a different type of receiver.  I haven't really dug deep on many at this point, but just casually, he reminds me a bit of a poor man's Deebo.

5 hours ago, Tugboat said:

This draft feels so deep at WR to me.  Not only an absolute elite guy capping off the class, but there are a ton of really solid WRs of various types.  But fortunately for the Jaguars, and what they at least should be looking for, there's a seemingly unusual number of those "jumbo" type receivers that should be around from the mid-1st to somewhere in the 2nd round.  Which seems pretty perfect.

Not as many of the darty little fellers as usual though, perhaps.  There's a few, but maybe not as special and purely speedy as a lot of years.  So a team looking for that may come away a little bit disappointed.  But the big receivers this year, looks like great depth to me.  Lots of different profiles within that too.  I'd add Devontez Walker to that list as well.  He's another good one with real potential.

Ainias Smith is another one who i could see be more interesting to a team like Buffalo if they're looking for a bit of a different type of receiver.  I haven't really dug deep on many at this point, but just casually, he reminds me a bit of a poor man's Deebo.

I definitely agree about the depth.  It's loaded with big bodied WRs, and doesn't seem to have a ton of slot or quick twitch guys though.  Definitely feels the opposite of last year's class in that regard.  You've got Malik Nabers who is likely a top 15 (if not top 10) pick, and then the next one is Jermaine Burton and Xavier Worthy who probably goes off the board sometime Day 2.  Not sure if you'd want to call them the slot or twitch WRs, but you've got Ricky Pearsall and Jalen McMillan and Roman Wilson sometime either late Day 2 or early Day 3.  Doesn't seem to be any Zay Flowers or Jordan Addison types anywhere near the top of the draft.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I definitely agree about the depth.  It's loaded with big bodied WRs, and doesn't seem to have a ton of slot or quick twitch guys though.  Definitely feels the opposite of last year's class in that regard.  You've got Malik Nabers who is likely a top 15 (if not top 10) pick, and then the next one is Jermaine Burton and Xavier Worthy who probably goes off the board sometime Day 2.  Not sure if you'd want to call them the slot or twitch WRs, but you've got Ricky Pearsall and Jalen McMillan and Roman Wilson sometime either late Day 2 or early Day 3.  Doesn't seem to be any Zay Flowers or Jordan Addison types anywhere near the top of the draft.

Even a lot of what's there in terms of "slot receivers" are kind of more conventional, old school types.  Less raw overwhelming speed and twitch, more just precision routes and toughness.  Like McConkey.

Curious to see how it plays out on the speedier guys that are available.  If it kind of pushes them up the board the way "big body WRs" often are due to scarcity in a more typical year.  I'm betting Ainias Smith goes a lot higher than most projections i've seen, purely on the fact that he's got at least an element of that, to go with his Deebo-esque skillset.  Worthy probably goes over better receivers just because he's one of the few with anything like "burner" quickness.  Even though there are some of the bigger guys who will probably time out well with legit long speed, they don't have the twitch.

Also sets up a scenario where someone is probably going to give their stock an absolutely meteoric rise if they drill hard enough on the 40 and time in as a ~4.4 in a class lacking that kind of thing.  I bet some teams will just throw the tape in the trash and overdraft 'em based on how quick they look at the combine.

But in any case, it looks great for the Jaguars and what they need.  I just hope they don't fumble the opportunity.  I haven't really drilled down on many prospects yet, but a thousand mile overview, there's a whole boatload of receivers i'd be thrilled to add to give Lawrence a target with some actual size and catch radius.  Which hopefully also means a vet like Ridley is back out on the market if someone is looking for a different place to find "speed and nothing else".  Weird draft class though.  But i like it.

8 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Even a lot of what's there in terms of "slot receivers" are kind of more conventional, old school types.  Less raw overwhelming speed and twitch, more just precision routes and toughness.  Like McConkey.

Curious to see how it plays out on the speedier guys that are available.  If it kind of pushes them up the board the way "big body WRs" often are due to scarcity in a more typical year.  I'm betting Ainias Smith goes a lot higher than most projections i've seen, purely on the fact that he's got at least an element of that, to go with his Deebo-esque skillset.  Worthy probably goes over better receivers just because he's one of the few with anything like "burner" quickness.  Even though there are some of the bigger guys who will probably time out well with legit long speed, they don't have the twitch.

Also sets up a scenario where someone is probably going to give their stock an absolutely meteoric rise if they drill hard enough on the 40 and time in as a ~4.4 in a class lacking that kind of thing.  I bet some teams will just throw the tape in the trash and overdraft 'em based on how quick they look at the combine.

But in any case, it looks great for the Jaguars and what they need.  I just hope they don't fumble the opportunity.  I haven't really drilled down on many prospects yet, but a thousand mile overview, there's a whole boatload of receivers i'd be thrilled to add to give Lawrence a target with some actual size and catch radius.  Which hopefully also means a vet like Ridley is back out on the market if someone is looking for a different place to find "speed and nothing else".  Weird draft class though.  But i like it.

Same for the Chiefs. This is a really good opportunity for the team to address the position through the draft based on positional strength and depth within the draft class....kind of like what we should have done last year at tight end.

Assuming Harrison Jr., Nabors, and Odunze are long gone when we are in draft range...I really have started to zero in on Brian Thomas Jr. for us. I think he is the perfect combination of size and speed to compliment the intermediate routes that Rice runs by giving our offense a legitimate deep threat. That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if Thomas Jr. really moves up draft boards this offseason as we move closer to the draft. I also really like Troy Franklin is another prospect that I think compliments what Rice does well.

22 minutes ago, nicfre2011 said:

Same for the Chiefs. This is a really good opportunity for the team to address the position through the draft based on positional strength and depth within the draft class....kind of like what we should have done last year at tight end.

Assuming Harrison Jr., Nabors, and Odunze are long gone when we are in draft range...I really have started to zero in on Brian Thomas Jr. for us. I think he is the perfect combination of size and speed to compliment the intermediate routes that Rice runs by giving our offense a legitimate deep threat. That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if Thomas Jr. really moves up draft boards this offseason as we move closer to the draft. I also really like Troy Franklin is another prospect that I think compliments what Rice does well.

Yeah, that definitely works out pretty conveniently for the Chiefs most glaring, obvious need.  😆

Funny though, Brian Thomas Jr. is one of the guys i'm not as sure on amongst that whole cluster.  But if it's a deep threat you want, he's definitely your guy.  He's big, he's fast and i'm sure he's gonna time out very well on his long speed, and he's got a real knack for catching those long bomb passes down the sidelines.  He seems really natural catching over his shoulder, which not all guys are.  Would be a really interesting match with Mahomes arm.  The real question with Thomas Jr though, is...what is he actually gonna be in terms of...running and operating in other routes?  That's a bit less clear to me.

Kind of zeroing in more on some of the others from a Jaguars perspective.  Coleman, Franklin, Legette, Walker, Mitchell.  Things will change and settle out through the process and more scrutiny, but man it looks like there are going to be good ones available into Day 2 and a lot of receivers taken in the first two days overall.

Xavier Worthy is supremely underrated. He has off the charts speed. If your team has an entrenched WR1, but you need some homerun talent opposite, Worthy is perfect. He is a little frustrating with the drops and body catching at times, but he knows how to run routes and unlike some of the recent speed freaks (Thornton/Schwartz), he plays fast always. Fast off the line, fast eating cushion, fast with the ball in his hands.

Everyone is saying that this is a great WR class but it only feels that way if you have a top 15 pick.  Other recent drafts haven't had the top end talent that this one does, yet I feel like there's been a handful of 3-4th round sleeper guys who've  come in and contributed right away.  I just don't see the late round gems in this draft like in others.  Who am I sleeping on?

6 minutes ago, prob2236 said:

Everyone is saying that this is a great WR class but it only feels that way if you have a top 15 pick.  Other recent drafts haven't had the top end talent that this one does, yet I feel like there's been a handful of 3-4th round sleeper guys who've  come in and contributed right away.  I just don't see the late round gems in this draft like in others.  Who am I sleeping on?

A ton of guys.

I think there's a consensus on the top 3.  Then you have, in varying order, Keon Coleman, Xavier Legette, Brian Thomas, Adonai Mitchell, Xavier Worthy, Troy Franklin, Devontez Walker, Ladd McConkey, Jermaine Burton, and Johnny Wilson who project as at least Day 2 picks.  That's 13 receivers, which is the same number that were drafted in the first three rounds last year, with way, way, way more strength at the top.  And there will probably be some small school and under the radar guys who emerge after the combine too.

Depth guys beyond that that I like personally are Ja'Lynn Polk, Jalen McMillan, Jordan Whittington, Jalen Rice, Jha'Quan Jackson, Ainias Smith, Tayvion Robinson, Cornelius Johnson, and Jacob Cowing.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Daniel said:

A ton of guys.

I think there's a consensus on the top 3.  Then you have, in varying order, Keon Coleman, Xavier Legette, Brian Thomas, Adonai Mitchell, Xavier Worthy, Troy Franklin, Devontez Walker, Ladd McConkey, Jermaine Burton, and Johnny Wilson who project as at least Day 2 picks.  That's 13 receivers, which is the same number that were drafted in the first three rounds last year, with way, way, way more strength at the top.  And there will probably be some small school and under the radar guys who emerge after the combine too.

Depth guys beyond that that I like personally are Ja'Lynn Polk, Jalen McMillan, Jordan Whittington, Jalen Rice, Jha'Quan Jackson, Ainias Smith, Tayvion Robinson, Cornelius Johnson, and Jacob Cowing.

And you left out one of my favorites in Malachi Corley.

13 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

And you left out one of my favorites in Malachi Corley.

He's so...stumpy though.  Feels like he's 90% torso or something.  I think that's gonna hurt him, especially through the pre-draft process.  But i can see it hurting his productivity as a Pro too.

14 hours ago, Daniel said:

A ton of guys.

Yeah.  The top end of this has a nice "big 3".  I'm not even as high on Nabers as a lot of people.  But there's so much more beyond that.  Looks like there's plenty of talent to get really solid guys of all different flavors all the way through Day 2.

After that...maybe there are some "hidden gems", maybe not.  But at that point, it's always just kind of a crapshoot anyway.  If there were a ton of guys that were obviously going to break out as stars, they'd just end up going Day 1 or Day 2.  But teams are just throwing darts on guys with some sort of intriguing skillset or other and hoping at that point.

On 1/20/2024 at 8:32 AM, Tugboat said:

Yeah, that definitely works out pretty conveniently for the Chiefs most glaring, obvious need.  😆

Funny though, Brian Thomas Jr. is one of the guys i'm not as sure on amongst that whole cluster.  But if it's a deep threat you want, he's definitely your guy.  He's big, he's fast and i'm sure he's gonna time out very well on his long speed, and he's got a real knack for catching those long bomb passes down the sidelines.  He seems really natural catching over his shoulder, which not all guys are.  Would be a really interesting match with Mahomes arm.  The real question with Thomas Jr though, is...what is he actually gonna be in terms of...running and operating in other routes?  That's a bit less clear to me.

Kind of zeroing in more on some of the others from a Jaguars perspective.  Coleman, Franklin, Legette, Walker, Mitchell.  Things will change and settle out through the process and more scrutiny, but man it looks like there are going to be good ones available into Day 2 and a lot of receivers taken in the first two days overall.

Yeah, I think prospects like Thomas Jr. and Troy Franklin could be dynamic in our offense as both project as legitimate deep threats that have the ability to not just serve as a decoy (like MVS). Watching veterans like MVS and Justin Watson run the wrong routes, run toward defenders in zone, and drop passes really highlights how explosive our offense could be with a legitimate deep threat.

I think Brian Thomas Jr. could end up going mid-first round and Franklin could end up going mid to late first round. The more that I watch Franklin the more I like him for the Chiefs. Xavier Worthy and Jermaine Burton are two other prospects (possibly available in round 2) that could project as developmental deep threats for us. Adonai Mitchell might project similar to Rashee Rice, so that might bring some assignment redundancy.