2024 OL Talk

nicfre2011

Here's where we can talk about the OL prospects for the 2024 draft. Outside of Alt and Fashanu, who are your top offensive tackles? Thoughts on Latham from Alabama, Morgan from Arizona, Fuaga from Oregon State, and Paul from Houston? Is Beebe from Kansas State a guard at the next level?

1 hour ago, Ragnarok said:

I really like Latham and Mims as RTs.

Also a big fan of Van Pran.

Latham's weight issues scare the crap out of me.  I'm not convinced he won't eat himself out of the league.  I believe I read reports that had him at 370+, which is too high for an OT.  This screams Andre Smith situation all over again.  Mims probably has the most volatility in the draft given that he's missed most of the year but he could push into top 10 territory with a strong finish.  This OL class is looking really good.  Even once you get past those 4, you've got guys who are legitimate FRP types.

Amarius Mins looked very good against Tennessee. Looking forward to seeing him against Alabama in the SEC championship.

Alt over Fashanu all day, but both are great prospects. Christian Jones from Texas piqued my interest against Bama, but I’ve watched zero further Texas games. Thought he looked better tgan Latham there.

On the interior, Van Pran, Cooper Mayes, and Zach Zinter all look very good.

42 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

This OT class is an all-timer. Absolutely loaded. 

Good to hear as the Chiefs may look to address OT in the first 3 rounds. I would love to see Wanya Morris show enough this offseason to get a shot at a starting role. So far Jawaan Taylor hasn't lived up to the expectations that comes with the big FA contract. It will be interesting to see if Morris continues his transition to LT or if he moves back to RT to eventually replace Taylor. I could see the Chiefs add an athletic LT-type of OT.

Edited by nicfre2011

3 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Latham's weight issues scare the crap out of me.  I'm not convinced he won't eat himself out of the league.  I believe I read reports that had him at 370+, which is too high for an OT.  This screams Andre Smith situation all over again.  Mims probably has the most volatility in the draft given that he's missed most of the year but he could push into top 10 territory with a strong finish.  This OL class is looking really good.  Even once you get past those 4, you've got guys who are legitimate FRP types.

Yeah, that's my one big hesitation for Latham.  If I knew he could sit at 320, he might be my #1 OT.  But over 350 is too big a la Becton.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I'm not sure how I feel about this class so far, Olu to me is a nice athletic guy but gets driven back more than I wanna see from the OT1 of the class. I haven't dove as deep into the top guys but with the Jets in free fall we're gonna have a better shot at a top guy. I like Alt, he's a steady ND guy who should be a day 1 plug and play. Fuaga is intriguing too. Outside of that I'm not too caught up on these guys. Who else has FRP potential?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jetjuice said:

I'm not sure how I feel about this class so far, Olu to me is a nice athletic guy but gets driven back more than I wanna see from the OT1 of the class. I haven't dove as deep into the top guys but with the Jets in free fall we're gonna have a better shot at a top guy. I like Alt, he's a steady ND guy who should be a day 1 plug and play. Fuaga is intriguing too. Outside of that I'm not too caught up on these guys. Who else has FRP potential?

It's got the potential to be a really good class.  Fashanu or Alt would be OT1 in most classes.  Think Fashanu has a bit more pass pro ability, so he gets the nod.  Mims is probably the guy with the most potential helium, but I also think there's probably a strong chance he returns to Georgia fora another year.  Kingsley Suamataia out of BYU is another guy to keep an eye on.  Athleticism shows up on tape, but he's going to need a good OL coach to work through his technique issues.  Fuaga is a good one out of Oregon State.  Looks like a plug 'n play RT to me with some LT upside.  I'm sure Jordan Morgan out of Arizona and Patrick Paul out of Houston are going to have some fans as is Graham Barton out of Duke.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ragnarok said:

Yeah, that's my one big hesitation for Latham.  If I knew he could sit at 320, he might be my #1 OT.  But over 350 is too big a la Becton.

Becton had some really rare movement skills for a guy that large.  The traits were undeniable, but his ability to keep bad weight off ended up doing him in.

10 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Latham has minimal fat to him, that's a pretty awful comparison. Read how he gained the weight.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Latham has minimal fat to him, that's a pretty awful comparison. Read how he gained the weight.

350+ pound OTs don't usually have a bunch of success in the NFL.  I think the only one I can think of in recent memory was Orlando Brown.   And he weighed in around 345 at the Combine IIRC.  It's just a LOT of weight for a big man.