2024 OL Talk

nicfre2011

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

Every other center I've watched I've come away unimpressed (Michigan, Tulane, and NC State had Cs that were allegedly solid, but none looked worth much to me).  Van Pran is great, but other than that, Idk.  Haven't watched enough Powers-Johnson, and haven't checked out Frazier or Limmer.  Frazier is about the only one I see people talk about regularly.

I liked Cooper Mays and Alabama's Cs as later in the draft guys, but both went back to school.

Are there any guards that have experience at center in this class and are currently elsewhere, or is it really just a handful of guys and JAGs?  I think someone said earlier that the Duke kid can play center?

Titans need help, really, at like every OL position, so it sucks that it's a weak center class.  And a weak guard class.

Powers-Johnson is awesome

• Like 1

16 hours ago, jebrick said:

What are the thoughts on Center in this draft.  I always see Van Pran and Powers Johnson near the top of any list.  What about Zach Frazier (WVU), Beaux Limmer(Ark) or Nugent (Mich)?

Can also confirm Frazier is pretty great, great reach and rapid out of his stance. Powers-Johnson just murders dudes, he’s mean as hell. Would love to see him on the Steelers.

19 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Powers-Johnson is awesome

8 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Can also confirm Frazier is pretty great, great reach and rapid out of his stance. Powers-Johnson just murders dudes, he’s mean as hell. Would love to see him on the Steelers.

Do you think he's a first rounder?  Most of the ranking sites have him ahead of Van Pran as the top center.  I don't think Van Pran is better than a mid to late second rounder, unless he has way better physical tools than I think he does.  Oregon has a solid OL, but I need to get some tape on Powers-Johnson against a good DL and then actually watch him more closely.  Every time I turn on Oregon offense, I'm usually looking at Nix/Franklin/Irving.

Last year's C class was just so great, and all of the Big 10 guys had a matchup with Illinois to use as a common measuring stick.

Field Yates and Mel Kiper seem to be fairly high on Tyler Guyton as an extremely athletic albeit raw left tackle prospect that OL coaches could fall in love when the offseason evaluation process kicks into high gear.

8 hours ago, Daniel said:

Do you think he's a first rounder?  Most of the ranking sites have him ahead of Van Pran as the top center.  I don't think Van Pran is better than a mid to late second rounder, unless he has way better physical tools than I think he does.  Oregon has a solid OL, but I need to get some tape on Powers-Johnson against a good DL and then actually watch him more closely.  Every time I turn on Oregon offense, I'm usually looking at Nix/Franklin/Irving.

Last year's C class was just so great, and all of the Big 10 guys had a matchup with Illinois to use as a common measuring stick.

I think Powers-Johnson has a very good Combine and it pushes him up.  None of the top centers are without warts.  Mostly in either pass protection or getting to the 2nd level.  That could be their offense ( as we saw with Humphrey).  With this draft I can see one center being taken in the 1st. or 3+taken on day 2.

On 1/17/2024 at 10:39 AM, CWood21 said:

I mean, a good OL tape should be underwhelming IMO.  It honestly should be kinda boring if we're being honest.  And don't see McGlinchey at all.

If nothing else, i think Alt looks like he's got much quicker feet and better movement and agility all around.

McGlinchey was solid, but always moved "heavy" to me.  Alt moves easily but anchors heavy.

So yeah, i don't really see the comparison there, outside of the college jersey they wore.

I really haven't delved into this draft too heavily beyond just casual impressions at this point, but am i way off base in feeling like this is a pretty lackluster OLine class overall?  Or at least, in terms of "top-end depth" in the first few rounds?

I'm sure i'll find some "gems" as i go through things and as the process rolls along.  But it's looking like, especially on the interior...a class of pretty flawed projects.  Seems like a decent number of "mauler" types who will have great fun highlight reels of them railroading some LBer or getting into a wrestling match with a DT.  But i haven't seen a lot that really jump out in my initial impressions as great "modern linemen" with great easy movement skills to go with that power.

Could be completely off.  That's just my very early impression of starting to think more seriously about it.

5 hours ago, Tugboat said:

I really haven't delved into this draft too heavily beyond just casual impressions at this point, but am i way off base in feeling like this is a pretty lackluster OLine class overall?  Or at least, in terms of "top-end depth" in the first few rounds?

I'm sure i'll find some "gems" as i go through things and as the process rolls along.  But it's looking like, especially on the interior...a class of pretty flawed projects.  Seems like a decent number of "mauler" types who will have great fun highlight reels of them railroading some LBer or getting into a wrestling match with a DT.  But i haven't seen a lot that really jump out in my initial impressions as great "modern linemen" with great easy movement skills to go with that power.

Could be completely off.  That's just my very early impression of starting to think more seriously about it.

I mentioned in an earlier post in here that Field Yates and Mel Kiper seem to like Tyler Guyton from Oklahoma as an athletic left tackle prospect that has really good size and movement skills but is still raw based on getting a late start after switching to OL from DL.

Also, I am curious Patrick Paul as well.

1 hour ago, nicfre2011 said:

I mentioned in an earlier post in here that Field Yates and Mel Kiper seem to like Tyler Guyton from Oklahoma as an athletic left tackle prospect that has really good size and movement skills but is still raw based on getting a late start after switching to OL from DL.

Also, I am curious Patrick Paul as well.

Guyton will probably go R1. Very talented, but obviously new to the position. Very raw, but worth a gamble if you have a bleh situation at LT.

Patrick Paul is also great. Almost impossible to get past him. He didn’t play against quality competition, but has the best tape out of the OT’s in the class in pass protection. Not sure he’s the toolsiest guy in the world, but I could care less about that for an OT. 

44 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Guyton will probably go R1. Very talented, but obviously new to the position. Very raw, but worth a gamble if you have a bleh situation at LT.

Patrick Paul is also great. Almost impossible to get past him. He didn’t play against quality competition, but has the best tape out of the OT’s in the class in pass protection. Not sure he’s the toolsiest guy in the world, but I could care less about that for an OT. 

I really wish the Chiefs had a solid long term projection at the tackles so we didn't have to consider circling back to that position this offseason. Donovan Smith is a one year rental and is at this point at best an average to below average replacement level tackle. Wanya Morris has shown some flashes as a rookie when being inserted as a starter at left tackle due to Smith being injured. At this point he is a better run blocker and needs some work as a pass protector. Jawaan Taylor has been an overpaid disaster at right tackle so even IF Morris has starting capability (not sure if his best spot will be left or right tackle), we still need to consider the other tackle position long term. I just don't think we can target OT in round 1 considering we need a long term WR to pair with Rice and if we lose Nnadi, Jones, and Danna we need to target IDL(s).

On 1/20/2024 at 7:37 AM, BetterCallSaul said:

Yeah.  If feels like OLine with upside like that are going to get pushed well up the board this year.  Guyton fits the profile of a real "projection pick" that coaches are going to want to get their hands on because of the natural tools, talent, and a positive trend over a short period that has his arrow pointing up.

I feel like OT is actually one of the spots where "toolsy" can be pretty important though.  Obviously all the tools in the world don't matter if the guy just isn't good at football, but the opposite can also tend to be true.  It takes a lot to really hold up on the edge against extremely toolsy athletic pass rushers these days.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Yeah.  If feels like OLine with upside like that are going to get pushed well up the board this year.  Guyton fits the profile of a real "projection pick" that coaches are going to want to get their hands on because of the natural tools, talent, and a positive trend over a short period that has his arrow pointing up.

I feel like OT is actually one of the spots where "toolsy" can be pretty important though.  Obviously all the tools in the world don't matter if the guy just isn't good at football, but the opposite can also tend to be true.  It takes a lot to really hold up on the edge against extremely toolsy athletic pass rushers these days.

Tools are great, but the one thing I feel never works out is a guy who has lazy footwork. Heavy footed dudes, regardless of their ht/wt/spd seemingly always bust. 

• Like 2

On 1/18/2024 at 10:59 AM, Daniel said:

Every other center I've watched I've come away unimpressed (Michigan, Tulane, and NC State had Cs that were allegedly solid, but none looked worth much to me).  Van Pran is great, but other than that, Idk.  Haven't watched enough Powers-Johnson, and haven't checked out Frazier or Limmer.  Frazier is about the only one I see people talk about regularly.

I liked Cooper Mays and Alabama's Cs as later in the draft guys, but both went back to school.

Are there any guards that have experience at center in this class and are currently elsewhere, or is it really just a handful of guys and JAGs?  I think someone said earlier that the Duke kid can play center?

Titans need help, really, at like every OL position, so it sucks that it's a weak center class.  And a weak guard class.

Mays returned to school?  Why?  I had him as a 2nd rounder, similar to Nick Jackson and his return to Iowa, if you are going to be a 2nd round pick why in the world go back to college?  Neither of them are on teams who can win a National Title.  

Jackson Powers-Johnson is clearly the 2nd best center and after he and Van Pran it takes a dip for sure.  

26 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Mays returned to school?  Why?  I had him as a 2nd rounder, similar to Nick Jackson and his return to Iowa, if you are going to be a 2nd round pick why in the world go back to college?  Neither of them are on teams who can win a National Title.  

Jackson Powers-Johnson is clearly the 2nd best center and after he and Van Pran it takes a dip for sure.  

I think Tennessee thinks it can.  I think they're gonna stay being little bro to Georgia in conference, and Missouri will be a problem again too.  They'll be in line for another 10 win season, at least, and will be fully capable of beating the other big SEC contenders (though I agree thinking they'll beat all of them is unrealistic).  Lots of returning talent, and Iamaleava looks like the real deal at QB.  The rout of Iowa made a lot of guys decide they'd like to stay to run it back.