Week 13: {8-3} SF 49ers @ {10-1} Philadelphia Eagles

Nabbs4u

2 hours ago, Kiltman said:

It’s weird how many Eagles fans apparently don’t know who he is, like I know we’re a bunch of sickos but he’s been a fairly well documented member of the staff for awhile. Especially the last bunch of years.

I go back to Butch. That’s sick. 

1 hour ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

The amount and frequency of long developing routes is definitely frustrating.

I was literally screaming about this watching the game with my brother.  The 49ers defensive game plan was begging the eagles to take quick outs, hitches, curls, etc in the boundaries.  Hurts had all day to throw most of the fake and seemingly they were looking for a shot play on every down.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

I wonder who they attribute those swing passes in the backfield to? Those were absolutely distorting yesterday.

We already were weak at LB. Then the 2 least sucky LB’s were both out. It was a baaaaad combination. They clearly need better answers if we meet again.

but first things first, beat Dallas 

Reddick got killed on one of them. Not sure about the others.

49 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Anyone see Slay crying cause Seth Joyner called out the Eagles secondary on their atrocious tackling.

I seent it. Slay should not be worrying about anyone’s tweets right now. But that’s Slay. 

Just a fun fyi nugget. I went to an outdoor pre game show event a few years back. Seth Joyner was on a panel and he is absolutely intimidating to see. The only two guys that made me physically uneasy in their presence was Seth and Joel Embiid. I seen him out at some club one night and I was like “Joel!” when he passed me. This was before he was really an all star player and wasn’t such a big draw. He turned and looked at me, noticed that I wasn’t anyone important and gave me a scowl and I just gulped like a cartoon character. That dude is every bit of 7 ft. Terrifying to see IRL. Seth is as wide as he is tall. Professional athletes are just massive humans that you don’t get to appreciate watching them on tv against other manimal humans. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Broadway Joe said:

You seriously don't believe our secondary is bad or "so bad"?

If what you mean is that our LBs are worse then I wholeheartedly agree. 

But if you don't believe they're bad. Where does that leave both Washington games, Buffalo, Cowboys, pretty much every 3rd and long? 

I have said it like 5 times at this point. If you can't understand it isn't my issue. You are pointing to bulk stats and blindly just claiming "the secondary sucks!". It's ridiculous. 

Our NCB situation is bad. That is a fact. No matter who we have had in there this year they have gotten toasted consistently. Our LB's are not good in coverage. That is a fact. Teams are abusing these two things and we are struggling to respond. Yes we have given up yards. That does not mean that everyone that is covering passes is now just terrible.

Bradberry had a streak of 3-4 games where he looked really bad... Then Desai did the smart thing and started moving Slay to opposing number ones in Man coverage. Now post bye week he looks like the same player he has always been: a very good zone corner who will show holes when he plays a lot of man. This does not mean he is elite. This does not mean he is flawless. I am just not dumb enough to stick my head in the sand and ignore what I see with my own two eyes because I'd rather look at a box score and come to a conclusion that isn't even accurate.

Slay has been pretty good this year. He was not bad yesterday. Yes he got beat on the third down and it sucked. These things happen vs good teams. Is he worth every penny of his contract? Probably not. Does that mean he is just some average joe playing CB now? No.

Byard has been ok. He seems very comfortable covering TE's. He can't cover slot WR's. He is not a bad player.

Blankenship is up and down but has mostly been pretty solid this year. He is young and still figuring things out, but he is just a step or two off being a really good player. Maybe his athletic limitations hold him back, but I think he will continue to improve.

None of the above players are bad. That is my point. Defense especially is extremely team oriented. Everyone on the D struggled yesterday. Coaching, DL, LB's, DB's all of them. That does not mean that all of them now suck. They got abused by what is probably the most complete team in football. It is what it is. How they respond is all that matters going forward.

1 hour ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

I have said it like 5 times at this point. If you can't understand it isn't my issue. You are pointing to bulk stats and blindly just claiming "the secondary sucks!". It's ridiculous. 

Our NCB situation is bad. That is a fact. No matter who we have had in there this year they have gotten toasted consistently. Our LB's are not good in coverage. That is a fact. Teams are abusing these two things and we are struggling to respond. Yes we have given up yards. That does not mean that everyone that is covering passes is now just terrible.

Bradberry had a streak of 3-4 games where he looked really bad... Then Desai did the smart thing and started moving Slay to opposing number ones in Man coverage. Now post bye week he looks like the same player he has always been: a very good zone corner who will show holes when he plays a lot of man. This does not mean he is elite. This does not mean he is flawless. I am just not dumb enough to stick my head in the sand and ignore what I see with my own two eyes because I'd rather look at a box score and come to a conclusion that isn't even accurate.

Slay has been pretty good this year. He was not bad yesterday. Yes he got beat on the third down and it sucked. These things happen vs good teams. Is he worth every penny of his contract? Probably not. Does that mean he is just some average joe playing CB now? No.

Byard has been ok. He seems very comfortable covering TE's. He can't cover slot WR's. He is not a bad player.

Blankenship is up and down but has mostly been pretty solid this year. He is young and still figuring things out, but he is just a step or two off being a really good player. Maybe his athletic limitations hold him back, but I think he will continue to improve.

None of the above players are bad. That is my point. Defense especially is extremely team oriented. Everyone on the D struggled yesterday. Coaching, DL, LB's, DB's all of them. That does not mean that all of them now suck. They got abused by what is probably the most complete team in football. It is what it is. How they respond is all that matters going forward.

The thing is you keep from directly answering the question if you think the secondary is good or not. Just say so.

Bacause you also saw the bulk stats and went with the opposite conclusion for this game, when the 49ers plan was never going to be to attack the outside. 

Then again, we have 12 weeks of defense at this point and all evidence points that they are not. They’re not awful and if you separate them like you just did you may even think they’re good but the product doesn’t show that. Because one week is one of the aforementioned that gets exploited in a game, besides with so many players that used to be very good but are now past they’re prime you get flashes of the players they used to be and may end up believing that’s who they still are, like Slay the second half of last year.

i ask you again, do you still think they’re good? Not awesome nor awful. Do you think they’re good?

2 hours ago, CasperX22 said:

I was literally screaming about this watching the game with my brother.  The 49ers defensive game plan was begging the eagles to take quick outs, hitches, curls, etc in the boundaries.  Hurts had all day to throw most of the fake and seemingly they were looking for a shot play on every down.

This is the blueprint of how to attack that 49ers defense.  Go look at any Seattle game, any Rams game it's obvious!

It's what we did for two offensive drives, and ignore for the next 3 QT's trying to get chunk offensive plays. 

Idiotic!

Edited by Nabbs4u

I'm telling you again and I'm not sure WTF it's not talked about more but the struggles we have had in our secondary is not only injury related compared to last year but Sean Desai's STUPIDITY thinking every GD CB is interchangeable. 

AT NO POINT last year did Skay/JB switch sides,  No Point! 

Yet if you watch closely on every single game not only is Slay but JB lining up all over the field,  Traveling!!! As if not only 1 but both can travel, switch sides like Revis!. They both stayed on their specific sides of the field, Richard Sherman style all last season.

Take every so called shut down CB in the NFL right now and None of them are doing what Slay/JB are being asked to do by Desai on a weekly basis. 

Stupidity at its Finest!

Here's hoping he realizes his Stupidity in that flaw way before the playoffs and adapts to players strengths NOT fit my scheme, GTFO it and adapt Jim Schwartz style!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Nabbs4u

1 hour ago, Broadway Joe said:

The thing is you keep from directly answering the question if you think the secondary is good or not. Just say so.

Bacause you also saw the bulk stats and went with the opposite conclusion for this game, when the 49ers plan was never going to be to attack the outside. 

Then again, we have 12 weeks of defense at this point and all evidence points that they are not. They’re not awful and if you separate them like you just did you may even think they’re good but the product doesn’t show that. Because one week is one of the aforementioned that gets exploited in a game, besides with so many players that used to be very good but are now past they’re prime you get flashes of the players they used to be and may end up believing that’s who they still are, like Slay the second half of last year.

i ask you again, do you still think they’re good? Not awesome nor awful. Do you think they’re good?

.... this is so stupid. Like instead of argue any real points we just argue semantics. "You said the players are good, but is the secondary good tho?????" What are we even talking about. I just gave a very clear picture of how I feel about the secondary. Have they played well enough this year as a unit? No. That doesn't change my feeling about the players actual ability. They are playing with an absolute vacuum of talent in the slot.... it completely drags the rest of the unit down. If Maddox was playing this season do I think the secondary would be playing much better? Of course.

So besides the issue being that we are fielding bums at NCB this season... the defensive coaching scheme doesn't fit the personnel nearly as well as last seasons. I respect Desai for being more aggressive and trying more things. We are blitzing way more this year. We are playing a lot more man. But we are getting abused way more because of it. Gannon was boring as hell and anyone could check down for 5-7 yards every play... but we almost never gave up big plays last season. That is because we played a ton of soft zone. We played WAY too much man yesterday. It is not even a debate. Why are Morrow and Reddick getting matched up with CMC in coverage so regularly? That is an offensive coaching staff abusing a defensive scheme. That is not just a one game issue. This has been going on regularly all year. Desai needs to be better about playing to his personnel's strengths. I mean watching Ricks in press man on third down every game should be more than enough evidence of that.

So no the secondary has not been "good". But just because they haven't been good does not mean the players are entirely at fault. Is this the gotchya! you wanted?

1 hour ago, Nabbs4u said:

I'm telling you again and I'm not sure WTF it's not talked about more but the struggles we have had in our secondary is not only injury related compared to last year but Sean Desai's STUPIDITY thinking every GD CB is interchangeable. 

AT NO POINT last year did Skay/JB switch sides,  No Point! 

Yet if you watch closely on every single game not only is Slay but JB lining up all over the field,  Traveling!!! As if not only 1 but both can travel, switch sides like Revis!. They both stayed on their specific sides of the field, Richard Sherman style all last season.

Take every so called shut down CB in the NFL right now and None of them are doing what Slay/JB are being asked to do by Desai on a weekly basis. 

Stupidity at its Finest!

Here's hoping he realizes his Stupidity in that flaw way before the playoffs and adapts to players strengths NOT fit my scheme, GTFO it and adapt Jim Schwartz style!!!!!!!!!!!

Slay is moving cause we are playing man. If we are playing man we have to move him with opposing #1's cause Bradberry isn't up to the task. That said I agree we are playing way too much man and it has made our D get exposed. You think Shanny is going to see Morrow on CMC and Kittle regularly and not just completely abuse that? Of course he will. If we get more man coverage with Ricks on Lamb in the slot next week I think I will have to give up on Desai going forward. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice....

12 hours ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

.... this is so stupid. Like instead of argue any real points we just argue semantics. "You said the players are good, but is the secondary good tho?????" What are we even talking about. I just gave a very clear picture of how I feel about the secondary. Have they played well enough this year as a unit? No. That doesn't change my feeling about the players actual ability. They are playing with an absolute vacuum of talent in the slot.... it completely drags the rest of the unit down. If Maddox was playing this season do I think the secondary would be playing much better? Of course.

So besides the issue being that we are fielding bums at NCB this season... the defensive coaching scheme doesn't fit the personnel nearly as well as last seasons. I respect Desai for being more aggressive and trying more things. We are blitzing way more this year. We are playing a lot more man. But we are getting abused way more because of it. Gannon was boring as hell and anyone could check down for 5-7 yards every play... but we almost never gave up big plays last season. That is because we played a ton of soft zone. We played WAY too much man yesterday. It is not even a debate. Why are Morrow and Reddick getting matched up with CMC in coverage so regularly? That is an offensive coaching staff abusing a defensive scheme. That is not just a one game issue. This has been going on regularly all year. Desai needs to be better about playing to his personnel's strengths. I mean watching Ricks in press man on third down every game should be more than enough evidence of that.

So no the secondary has not been "good". But just because they haven't been good does not mean the players are entirely at fault. Is this the gotchya! you wanted?

You gotta work in your temper, you get way too worked up every time you reply to me or maybe with everyone that is not homering in every post. 

While I do agree that we play way too much zone, not only on Sunday but in general, the Cowboys game is a prime example, the Dolphins game had LBs in man to man a lot if IIRC. 

But still all of of what I said about every player the same way you did still stands, if you look at every player in a vacuum like in your other post, you will tend to believe we have good talent, but being that most of them are over 30 and past their prime, they do not play to that level consistently, each week one of them is exposed and while you do bring a very good point that the NCB position is dragging everything down and definitely a factor, that does not excuse one on ones we have seen through the season. 

Is Desai not to blame too? Of course he is. But due to the FO inability to properly address the secondary through the draft we are also force to scramble for leftovers and old players to contribute and that's how we get here, with players that were good and have a good game there and get toasted the next. 

Just now, Broadway Joe said:

You gotta work in your temper, you get way too worked up every time you reply to me or maybe with everyone that is not homering in every post. 

While I do agree that we play way too much zone, not only on Sunday but in general, the Cowboys game is a prime example, the Dolphins game had LBs in man to man a lot if IIRC. 

But still all of of what I said about every player the same way you did still stands, if you look at every player in a vacuum like in your other post, you will tend to believe we have good talent, but being that most of them are over 30 and past their prime, they do not play to that level consistently, each week one of them is exposed and while you do bring a very good point that the NCB position is dragging everything down and definitely a factor, that does not excuse one on ones we have seen through the season. 

Is Desai not to blame too? Of course he is. But due to the FO inability to properly address the secondary through the draft we are also force to scramble for leftovers and old players to contribute and that's how we get here, with players that were good and have a good game there and get toasted the next. 

Just adding, Slay at least did travel and switch sides a lot in past years, specially against Minnesota and Washington. 

43 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

James Bradberry did not allow a single Reception or Yard to any of his coverage assignments against the #49ers, he was never even targeted.

0 Targets, 0 REC’s, 0 Yards.

(Stats via PFF)

Didn't know that was the case, that's for sure.

He was in coverage on Deebo on his last TD.  Deebo went inside and Bradberry was blocked out of the play.