Week 13: {8-3} SF 49ers @ {10-1} Philadelphia Eagles

Nabbs4u

3 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Yeah. We lost to the best team in the NFL so everyone just sucks and there is no hope and it is all because Howie sucks.

Thank you for the top tier analysis that was super insightful.

The defense was 19th in yards and 22nd in points before this game.

They are not good, Slay is not good, Bradberry is average, and the LB'er play is utterly attorcious.

You keep talking about this game like they have not been bad before this week.

2 hours ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Eli Ricks just can’t be in the game man. 

You said this several times today, but keep complaining when I say Slay is not good.

Ricks completion percentage against 56.3, QB rating against 80.2

Slay completion percentage against 63.4, QB rating against 82.8

So the rookie sucks, but the veteran playing worse doesn't?

11 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Slay, Bradberry, and Blankenship are good players. Did they all play their best ball today? Obviously not. Were they always put into the best spots today? Definitely not.  Ellis was abysmal. He is a disaster and he made others around him look worse. It isn't his fault, but it is just a fact. Morrow was put in conflict a ton today and he got abused by two great players in CMC and Kittle. Then he missed the tackle on Deebo. Ricks just shouldn't be on the field. I know they like him, but Roby is clearly better even if he is only average at best. Slay got beat a few times by a really good WR in Aiyuk. Does he need to do more to earn his paycheck? Absolutely, but he was competitive today and it is hard to guard a guy like that. I don't think Bradberry even played poorly today at all unless something happened on the last TD when I stopped watching.

Howie did a good job building this roster. The proof is in the pudding. We are 10-2 and right in the thick of the NFC race. Are we better than the Niners? No... that is pretty clear we are not. Does that mean that this secondary is just trash? No. Could we have made a few better moves this offseason to strengthen spots? I mean we definitely should have done something at NCB because Maddox has shown he is never available. That has killed us this year for sure. Do I think bringing Bradberry and Slay back was a huge mistake? Of course not. You want to see what bad CB's look like? Let those two go and see what happens. Playing DB in the NFL is super hard, especially vs a team that is that good. They got beat today.... it is what it is.

Everyone takes blame in every loss. The Eagles were completely out coached today on both sides of the ball. The offensive identity is just so terrible. Our run game is completely dependent on Hurts being able to run which we have shown we aren't willing to do. So now we can't even run the ball like we used to. Our passing game is absurdly generic in scheme. Brian is decent at setting looks up, but when every play is a curl, a post, and a go it becomes really simple to cover for opposing defenses. Hurts needs to be better for sure, but look how well coached the Niners offense is and compare that to ours. It is night and day. We miss Steichen badly. 

First of all, thanks for the thought out response.

But Bradbetty is not a good player this year, there's too much evidence of that and has been called out in all outlets, he has been better the past two weeks but far from the level we saw last year. Slay is way past his prime but still a good starter. Blakenship is a solid starter that we love because we are so used to having liabilities at his position, but he is a complimentary piece instead of a cornerstone of the defense which is where we have him right now. 

Howie did a good job the 2022 off season, for sure. This one not so much. But he had a lot of turnover to make up for, the problem with said turnover though, is his inability to get good starters on defense for the long term and each off season we are scrambling to get starters out of 1 year deals and trades, which is something he is better at. Had he done a better job in the 2016-2019 offseasons we wouldn't be in that problem. The secondary is a never ending patchwork.

If you want to see things in a tunnel, then he did a good job, but it goes deepar than that.

LB is also a nevendering issue and a clear blind spot for this team, evidenced by the 2018 team where we let Hicks walk, 2020 where we went into the season with Gerry and Singleton as our starters and 2023 when we let TJ go and put all the eggs in the Dean baskett when he was unable to win a starting job the season prior.

Howie is good at a lot of things, specially in the pro personnel area and trades. But talent evaluation has never been his strong suit and there is a mountain of evidence to that. 

5 minutes ago, downundermike said:

And I am sick of the tush push. Chiefs line up on 3rd and 1, hand it off and get 8 yards.

That play is gonna get Kelce or Dickerson hurt at some point.

If we have the best line in the league, we shouldn't need that gimmicky nonsense to get 1 yard.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, EaglesFlySBChampsHigh said:

Reality check might've been the best thing this team could've asked for at this time. Sucks to lose and to lose like that but we needed some serious adjustments. Next week against Dallas will be telling if they are able to correct the issues

I think a win or not a complete blowout would be a better thing to ask for.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Now this is too far.

3 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

He's venting! Let's stop doing the 1 singular thing we do on offense, No one can stop so we can be like other teams. 👌

On 4th down I get.

on 3rd down, line up and hand it to swift, maybe he pops it for a huge gain or even a TD.

While losing is never ideal and winning this game would of put a strangle hold on the #1 seed, put us in the playoffs this *** Whoppin is probably the best thing for us. 

Wake up call. It's the regular season, not playoffs.  

Had I told any of you we would of gone 5-1 vs Mia, Was,Dal,KC,Buff,SF every single one of you would of happily taken that record. 

Key now if to recreate that or better the next 5 games down the stretch.

5 minutes ago, downundermike said:

On 4th down I get.

on 3rd down, line up and hand it to swift, maybe he pops it for a huge gain or even a TD.

Maybe he fumbles the ball? Gets stuffed for a 3yd loss? You get the 1st down, then run Swift the next play. Why risk it? 

You see defensive stops on 3rd and 1 all the time on rushing attempts. You never see the Brotherly Shove ever stopped unless we stop ourselves.