Lukas Van Ness is a Bust.

MacReady

Totally get why you don't ideally want a "project" high in Round 1 unless you think his eventual ceiling is through the roof. But it is what it is. Can he become even 75% of a Bosa? Time will tell. He is very young, and still may be growing stronger physically (had only like a 20 bench at Combine, which kinda surprised me even though he has long limbs) as well as mentally in terms of processing. 

11 minutes ago, DWhitehurst said:

Totally get why you don't ideally want a "project" high in Round 1 unless you think his eventual ceiling is through the roof. But it is what it is. Can he become even 75% of a Bosa? Time will tell. He is very young, and still may be growing stronger physically (had only like a 20 bench at Combine, which kinda surprised me even though he has long limbs) as well as mentally in terms of processing. 

The thing is that pass rushers are sort of like QBs in that they're the single most premium position on their side of the ball.  If you want one that has it all, you have to be in position to draft a Bosa, or a Myles Garrett, or a Will Anderson, or Chase Young, or a Clowney, or etc.  Once you get out of that top 5 range, everybody is going to have issues- not big enough, not athletic enough, limited production, raw technique, or whatever.  Of all the various flaws that could keep a pass rusher out of the top end of the draft the most solvable ones are "production" and "technique" since you were never going to make Bruce Irvin big or Jarvis Jones explosive.

Where it's different from QB is that a QB lacking specific traits is not really usable (it doesn't matter how far you can throw the ball if it doesn't go where you want it to), whereas an edge player who is big and fast is at least useful for something even if he's not winning as a pass rusher.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TransientTexan said:

Somewhat decent analysis (tho probably 10min too long), but I don’t get the ‘holding’ complaints on the last play or touting the play where Kelce looked like he was barely trying to block.

Yes, that was an odd play. Kelce looked like he was happy just to be in Van Ness's way without trying to win and because of that it made it easy for Van Ness to disengage and make a play on Pacheco. Van Ness also might not have been going full-bore if he had diagnosed run, because he was looking to cover the gap on his left (which he did once the runner declared where he was going). Hard to know what is in the guys heads if you are not an illithid...............

13 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

More sacks than Gary as a rookie now

FWIW, Gary had 2 sacks in 244 snaps as a rookie (0.8% sack rate). Coming into his game, Van Ness had 2 sacks in 288 snaps (0.7% sack rate).  IF LVN has the same career arc that Gary has, the Packers have a pair of bookend pass rushers for the next decade.

18 hours ago, CWood21 said:

FWIW, Gary had 2 sacks in 244 snaps as a rookie (0.8% sack rate). Coming into his game, Van Ness had 2 sacks in 288 snaps (0.7% sack rate).  IF LVN has the same career arc that Gary has, the Packers have a pair of bookend pass rushers for the next decade.

What did you think of his game yesterday?  LVN?

I thought he flashed quite a bit.  

The power was always there, I thought yesterday, he started showing more defensive awareness, too.  His hustle really showed, too.

I have little doubt that he is going to be a very good player.  I hope he's EDGE2 next year.