Fumble out of the endzone: whose ball should it be?

AngusMcFife

Fumble out of the endzone: whose ball should it be?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. This rule is being reconsidered by the competition committee. How you answer will determine how well you understand the sport of football, and whether you are a moral or immoral person.

• Defense (keep rule as it is)
    • Offense (change the rule)

14 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

I like it. It doesn't have to make 100% sense. 

Just think of any ball going through any endzone live, as a punt. 

You could do that in the field of play also, any live ball that is sent out of play is considered the same as a punt and possession changes hands. Not saying they should, but they could. 

So does any ball that goes through the uprights count for at least a point? Could QBs just chuck it through the uprights in that case for say, 2 points? 1 on a 2 point conversion that is failed?

14 minutes ago, scar988 said:

So does any ball that goes through the uprights count for at least a point? Could QBs just chuck it through the uprights in that case for say, 2 points? 1 on a 2 point conversion that is failed?

I think a forward pass is always just kind of it's own thing. Though a forward pass going through the end zone being a touchback would just terrify coaches.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Chiefer said:
57 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

I think a forward pass is always just kind of it's own thing. Though a forward pass going through the end zone being a touchback would just terrify coaches.

It would set football back a half a century lol

You say that like a 38 year old Jamarcus Russell yucking up 85 yard Hail Mary punt throws would be a bad thing.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99

5 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

I disagree with this. In any instance of a live ball going out of the end zone, the defense gains possession. Going forward it's a touchback (field goal, punt, kickoff, fumble), going backwards it's a safety and free kick. The rule is what it is because it is consistent with other instances of a live ball going out of the defense's end zone.

incomplete passes in end zone = touchback for defense!

5 hours ago, Soko said:

What should vs what is. 

Ball is fumbled outside the offense’s own end zone, results in a positive play for defense. That makes sense. The offense is pinned and in a less than favorable position. 

Ball is fumbled outside the field of play anywhere not in the end zones; offense retains possession. Makes sense. Offense possessed it last, defense never recovered it. 

Ball is fumbled outside the opponent’s end (the defense’s) zone; defense ball? Doesn’t make sense. If the defense gets rewards for having the offense pinned and assisting in the offense fumble out of their own end zone, why do they also get rewarded for getting driven all the way back down field to their own end zone? I don’t see the logic behind rewarding the defense for that. I realize one is a safety and one is just possession.

Thats how it currently is, but it’s just something that doesn’t make sense and always seems to cause a small fuss whenever it does happen, because it’s not what you’d expect.

this

anything else is mental gymnastics

4 hours ago, Jakuvious said:
4 hours ago, scar988 said:

The "live" ball that I am referring to is a ball that is in play if it hits the ground like a fumble or a punt or kickoff. A pass or FG attempt are only live if caught. 

20 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

The "live" ball that I am referring to is a ball that is in play if it hits the ground like a fumble or a punt or kickoff. A pass or FG attempt are only live if caught. 

This isn't even already a thing. If a punt goes into the end zone it's a touchback. If a fumble goes into the end zone it's a live ball.

Overthinking things!

5 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

This isn't even already a thing. If a punt goes into the end zone it's a touchback. If a fumble goes into the end zone it's a live ball.

Overthinking things!

If you punt the ball through the endzone the team on defense gets the ball at the 20. Same as if you fumble through the endzone. They are exactly the same. 

We're not talking about what happens if you fumble in the endzone. 

6 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

If you punt the ball through the endzone the team on defense gets the ball at the 20. Same as if you fumble through the endzone. They are exactly the same. 

We're not talking about what happens if you fumble in the endzone. 

Yes we are. Because I am. The distinction is valid and needs to be acknowledged. You can't ignore it simply because it doesn't fit with your opinion.

They are not exactly the same if the ball remains in play. So why, then, should we believe that they should be treated the same when it is not?