2024 Offseason Thread

KingTitan

16 minutes ago, Kookie23 said:

We're all living in a Madden simulation

And I love it. Lol

Teams can fall and rise quickly over one off-season if done right opposed to being in the dirt for years.

I've said it before, but I just want to bring it back up. 

Mainly because I'm a "Burks'r".  :) I believe in him still. 

Nico Collins
Year 1: 14 games    8 Games started    33 receptions    446  yards 1 TD
Year 2: 10  games  7 Games Started   37 receptions    481 yards 2 TDs.
NEW OC/HC:
Year 3.  15 games    15 Games started    80 receptions    1,297  yards  8 TDS

Treylon Burks
Year 1: 11  games  6 games started    33 Receptions   444 yards 1 TD
Year 2: 10 games  8 games started    16 receptions     221  yards   

New OC/HC:
Year 3?

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Nico Collins
NEW OC/HC:

Treylon Burks

New OC/HC:
Year 3?

I’m still on the burks train, we’ve seen the same thing with Corey Davis when everyone was calling him a bust because his 1st 2yrs weren’t productive. He can play, he just can’t avoid head injuries. Now he has to vets to lean on to help accelerate his development & a coach that’s going to spread the rock 

6 hours ago, KingTitan said:

Nico Collins
NEW OC/HC:

Treylon Burks

New OC/HC:
Year 3?

I will say, him moving to slot full time (where he play a majority of his snaps in college) and being the guy between Ridley and Hopkins should be beneficial for him. I still think it’s a bit of a mistake to rely on him, but the recipe is there for him to have a nice year (not Collins level).

22 hours ago, KingTitan said:

Nico Collins
NEW OC/HC:

Treylon Burks

New OC/HC:
Year 3?

When you put things into perspective, he's probably set up for the best chance he'll ever have here. His first couple years were in Vrabel offenses that only special talents can succeed in. I don't "expect" him to breakout or anything this year, but you've gotta admit that our "same ole Titans" history is probably influencing people's opinions of him. We've had so many failures at WR over the last two decades because we almost always run offenses that don't give them a chance.

Assuming Callahan does actually know how to make an offense for the players he has, this is probably the year we'll "know" if he's a lost cause or not. If he can avoid injuries, that is.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Kookie23 said:

When you put things into perspective, he's probably set up for the best chance he'll ever have here. His first couple years were in Vrabel offenses that only special talents can succeed in. I don't "expect" him to breakout or anything this year, but you've gotta admit that our "same ole Titans" history is probably influencing people's opinions of him. We've had so many failures at WR over the last two decades because we almost always run offenses that don't give them a chance.

Assuming Callahan does actually know how to make an offense for the players he has, this is probably the year we'll "know" if he's a lost cause or not. If he can avoid injuries, that is.

Yeah our bruised history is impacting the judgement of many including myself. Hard to see us do anything outside of what we've always done.

This feels different. 
I'm hoping it is and someone like Burks reaps the benefits of it.  
I hope gone are the days where we are so excited for a 500-600 yard WR.  
Having 2 potential 1,000 yard WRs is very exciting. 

I get the desire to have a sense of optimism w/ Burks, and I don't mean to be a negative ned, but I'm just refusing to let myself get remotely optimistic about him. To me, he's a guy that I'm legit expecting 0 catches, 0 yards and 0 TDs from this year. I think he's truly that bad of an NFL receiver.

The whole "vrabel offense" thing to me never truly added up in terms of guys producing or not. Corey Davis isn't a special talent and he put up nearly 1k yards. NWI is a #4 WR and he's been better than Burks.

Burks didn't produce because of Vrabel's offense or the LT situation or the QB situation or cuz of Downing or Kelly. Burks didn't produce because he's not a competent NFL receiver.

but please prove me wrong, treylon

• Like 3

1 minute ago, deeluxx3 said:

I get the desire to have a sense of optimism w/ Burks, and I don't mean to be a negative ned, but I'm just refusing to let myself get remotely optimistic about him. To me, he's a guy that I'm legit expecting 0 catches, 0 yards and 0 TDs from this year. I think he's truly that bad of an NFL receiver.

The whole "vrabel offense" thing to me never truly added up in terms of guys producing or not. Corey Davis isn't a special talent and he put up nearly 1k yards. NWI is a #4 WR and he's been better than Burks.

Burks didn't produce because of Vrabel's offense or the LT situation or the QB situation or cuz of Downing or Kelly. Burks didn't produce because he's not a competent NFL receiver.

May I ask what was your view after his rookie year, before getting drilled in Philly?

I don't know why he isn't viewed as a NFL WR by many, not just you. He was injured pretty much all last year and never got right. 

Rookie Year, I saw deep threat (Green Bay/Cincy), some acrobatic catchers (Dallas). He legit flashed.

I just don't see how some fans can view him as a bum not even worth having on roster. Farley I could understand. He hasn't shown a single flash since drafted. Even when healthy. 

We shall see, but I think he should at the least get the benefit of this year before making any final conclusions. 

Posted (edited)

I don't see why a healthy Burks in the worst case couldn't end up being a Rishard Matthews, Justin Gage type. Which sucks for an 1st rounder, but just think that is a floor for a healthy Burks. 

3-55 yards game one against NY.
4-47 against Buffalo
2 clunker games.
Missed 4 games
3-24 against Denver

It really did look like after that Green Bay game he was getting his footing. 
7-111 yards in GB.
4-70 in Cincy
1- 25 and TD in Philly.
Missed 3 weeks.
Came back in Dallas and had 4 for 66 yards and 20 yard rush. 

Just saying IF, big IF. He was healthy and averaged about 66 yards per game. He would have been a 1020 yard receiver.  OA lot of what if's and Candyland thoughts, but just saying. 

Or

If you take his average of about 40 yards per game that rookie year and over 17 that is about 686 yards. 

Last year, I can make excuses and people can point right to it as all the evidence. 

Not saying to depend on him for a spot, but just think he isn't a bum. lol

Edited by KingTitan
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

I can see this point of view. Him being kinda fat his last year at Arkansas plus coming into rookie camp out of shape were not good looks. That plus the rumblings that the titans think his setbacks are due to his lack of preparation is telling. Sounds like he just needs to take his job more serious which often times, doesnt end well for players. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, deeluxx3 said:

I'm in the camp of not expecting him to contribute, but thinking that, because of his first round status, he's going to be a part of the roster, and because of his size and build and talent (loved him as a prospect, think he hasn't developed), there's a decent chance we'll get better play from him than we've had before.  But, better play from Burks doesn't mean more yards from Burks.  He's not going to get the snaps to even get to the 2-400 yard receiver status unless he improves in a big way, and I don't expect that to be the case.

Hopkins, Ridley, and hopefully a rookie will get a lot of snaps.  NWI is at least starting ahead of Burks.  But it would not surprise me at all to see Burks work his way up to WR4, or potentially higher.  I loved him as a prospect, and he's one of the many, many players we've seen come in, show flashes, and never develop beyond those flashes, because Vrabel's staff has done a consistently poor job developing talent.

But even with that, it would be a big mistake to go into the season assuming he will contribute in any meaningful way.  Receiver at 38 all day!

I'm not sure Burks will even get that much of a chance. Given DHop's age and contract, I'm still not sure we don't just go with the best WR left at 7, unless all of the top 3(MHJ, Nabers, Odunze) are gone. And if they are all gone, wouldn't be surprised if Bowers is the pick.

Take an o-lineman in the 2nd that Callahan should be able to get to produce at a high level.

Alternatively, WR in the 2nd like a Worthy or Legette is also of course a possibility after grabbing someone like Alt in the first.

I expect the WR depth chart to be

DHop

Ridley

Draft pick

Burks/NWI

NWI/Burks

And if Burks doesn't get it together, NWI might just pass him outright. NWI you can at least rely on to catch what hits his hands, a decent enough #4 option. Burks disappears way too much to put him above NWI if he doesn't improve.

Cally obviously wants to pass the ball a ton. Despite having Chase and Higgins, the Bengals 3rd option(Boyd) still got a lot of work. I can't imagine relying on Burks to replicate that.

3 hours ago, KingTitan said:

May I ask what was your view after his rookie year, before getting drilled in Philly?

I don't know why he isn't viewed as a NFL WR by many, not just you. He was injured pretty much all last year and never got right. 

Rookie Year, I saw deep threat (Green Bay/Cincy), some acrobatic catchers (Dallas). He legit flashed.

I just don't see how some fans can view him as a bum not even worth having on roster. Farley I could understand. He hasn't shown a single flash since drafted. Even when healthy. 

We shall see, but I think he should at the least get the benefit of this year before making any final conclusions. 

I'll be totally honest w/ you -- prior to year 2 kicking off, I was telling friends that Burks is going to be a beast and a real downfield threat. I was a BELIEVER after tracking his training camp last offseason and was devastated when I (we all) thought he tore his ACL during that joint practice w/ the Vikings.

I sympathize w/ the injuries, especially the head injuries. They derail careers.

But I just don't see any sort of dog on Sundays for 99 out of 100 plays. He has no wiggle, no real athleticism and there's nothing about him as an individual or a player that commands the ball.

So I've just totally given up on him. Certainly/perhaps earlier than I should, but as a fan I'm trying to be done "believing" that certain guys will figure it out when the larger body of work keeps telling me differently. 

• Like 1