QB Options 2024

Humble_Beast

45 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

If adding Gardner Minshew shows you urgency, I don't know what to say. Are you more committed to supporting all of the weak moves Telesco made then you were to supporting all of the weak moves Ziegler made?

Wilkins is literally the best FA pick up we’ve had in almost a decade. A player of that caliber is almost never available in FA

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

If adding Gardner Minshew shows you urgency, I don't know what to say. Are you more committed to supporting all of the weak moves Telesco made then you were to supporting all of the weak moves Ziegler made?

Wilkins was a weak move to you? Or you just tuning that one out because it doesn't fit the narrative?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Wilkins was a weak move to you? Or you just tuning that one out because it doesn't fit the narrative?

I'll give credit for Wilkins, but I'd be lying if I didn't say the rest of FA was pretty underwhelming. 

We need quite a few more key backups and starters. FA isn't over yet and the draft hasn't come, so it's still TBD. 

That said, looking at who we lost and who we picked up, I feel like we've painted ourselves into a bit of a corner. We can't really afford to give up much to trade up for a QB and if we do, what is the team we're putting that new QB on? We need to keep draft picks lest we wind up scraping the bottom of the barrel again for starters in late post Draft FA. 

There weren't a lot of moves we honestly could have made, so I don't mind seeing it through. But there were some no-brainers we definitely seemed to wilfully ignore. 

I don't think it's been the disaster NY is proclaiming, but I also can't say I don't worry about our moves being more moves that collect an all-star piece only to do nothing with them.

Wilkins and the presumably better pass rush will be great, but what good is that if we can't move the ball because of the QB? (This is TBD til the Draft)

Wilkins and the presumably better pass rush will be great, but what good is that if we can't cover guys long enough to force sacks? (CB is a need I wish we'd done more to address by now, but we'll see)

Wilkins and the presumably better pass rush will be great, even better in practice if we have a crappy OL (OL is a need I wish we'd done more to address by now, but we'll see)

Wilkins and the better pass rush will be great, but what good is it if anyone gets past it and our LBs lose coverage or can't otherwise hold down the second level? (LB is the one spot I'm legitimately a bit peeved over right now- plenty of potential was to be had and we sorta punted on it, a recurring theme for us over the last 2 decades). 

Again, nothing disastrous yet, but I do feel like we missed some lay-ups. Time will tell. 

Edited by ronjon1990
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

I'll give credit for Wilkins, but I'd be lying if I didn't say the rest of FA was pretty underwhelming. 

We need quite a few more key backups and starters. FA isn't over yet and the draft hasn't come, so it's still TBD. 

That said, looking at who we lost and who we picked up, I feel like we've painted ourselves into a bit of a corner. We can't really afford to give up much to trade up for a QB and if we do, what is the team we're putting that new QB on? We need to keep draft picks lest we wind up scraping the bottom of the barrel again for starters in late post Draft FA. 

There weren't a lot of moves we honestly could have made, so I don't mind seeing it through. But there were some no-brainers we definitely seemed to wilfully ignore. 

I don't think it's been the disaster NY is proclaiming, but I also can't say I don't worry about our moves being more moves that collect an all-star piece only to do nothing with them.

Wilkins and the presumably better pass rush will be great, but what good is that if we can't move the ball because of the QB? (This is TBD til the Draft)

Wilkins and the presumably better pass rush will be great, but what good is that if we can't cover guys long enough to force sacks? (CB is a need I wish we'd done more to address by now, but we'll see)

Wilkins and the presumably better pass rush will be great, even better in practice if we have a crappy OL (OL is a need I wish we'd done more to address by now, but we'll see)

Wilkins and the better pass rush will be great, but what good is it if anyone gets past it and our LBs lose coverage or can't otherwise hold down the second level? (LB is the one spot I'm legitimately a bit peeved over right now- plenty of potential was to be had and we sorta punted on it, a recurring theme for us over the last 2 decades). 

Again, nothing disastrous yet, but I do feel like we missed some lay-ups. Time will tell. 

For me, Wilkins checked a box that has been unchecked for 10+ seasons. That was the FA win I was looking for.

That said, I never get hyped on FA. It's not how I like to see teams built. Last year, everyone hated the signings of Spillane and Epps and the guys became key contributors. Before that, everyone loved Littleton and Kwaitkoski and they were terrible. 

I don't think there is a clear upgrade at CB in FA. Oline was grossly overpaid, so best to sit out. They didn't lose much outside Jacobs and I never like paying RBs so was fine with that. 

My bigger issue is with the dud of an offensive staff assembled. And let's face it, FA signings being good, bad or indifferent it won't matter if they don't have a QB. 

• Like 5

I'm trading Adams and Miller for #4 before the draft. I'd be open to adding #13 and our 25 2nd for their #27 and #35 in one big package. I don't think QB's go 1/2/3 and Harrison goes before #4. Bears say they are locked in with Williams and I don't believe that as I think they want Washington to make an offer and then they could use those extra picks to go from #9 to #5 to get a QB and pick Harrison at 2. If that happens then it will cost more for #4 so make the move now. Cardinals give Murray one of the best WR's and we eat a massive cap hit. Miller to protect Murray as WR and T seem to be their biggest needs and Miller is cheap for two more years. So they make a run with Murray and if it doesn't work out they rebuild in 3 years. Cards still have #13/66/71/90 and 104 so they can add depth but have two star vets ready to push for the playoffs...

As far as the Raiders many think Munford played better at LT so move him there. This draft is filled with RT's so we take one at 27 or 35 and Adams replacement at the other pick. At 44 if Sweat is there I'd take him to eat blockers and free up Crosby and Wilkins. A CB would also be a good fit. @77 There's a lot of ways to go like S/IOL/WR

19 hours ago, Jerry said:

They probably won't.  Panthers will probably be the worst team in football for the next 5-10 years because their owner is too hands on and doesn't know what he's doing at all.

I agree. I think there are some franchises where QBs go to die. Curious to see if Chicago can turn their fortunes around.

That's why it pays not to be one of the top QBs taken. You have the potential to land with a better franchise, equipped to develop you. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I agree. I think there are some franchises where QBs go to die. Curious to see if Chicago can turn their fortunes around.

That's why it pays not to be one of the top QBs taken. You have the potential to land with a better franchise, equipped to develop you. 

Cleveland. Definitely Cleveland. 

20 hours ago, big_palooka said:

My bigger issue is with the dud of an offensive staff assembled. And let's face it, FA signings being good, bad or indifferent it won't matter if they don't have a QB. 

Certainly can't argue this. 

We went from a relative unknown with soem tantalizing potential in Kingsbury to......a guy who was lucky to be employed past October. 

6 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

All due respect, but what has Brown ever actually done to be on the radar in the first place?

Truth. He belongs under the rader because it's the only place he's ever been. 

• Like 1