QB Options 2024

Humble_Beast

Bo Nix has made the rounds recently doing interviews with RGIII, Colin Cowherd, Doug Ferrar and Greg Cosell on their podcast, and Chris Simms. I like his personality. He seems like a really thoughtful guy who has a good perspective on life. I don't think his personality necessarily makes him more or less likely to succeed, but it makes him easy to root for for me. I've made comps to Derek Carr with Nix, but I also think we will be similar to Carr on the podium.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

Bo Nix has made the rounds recently doing interviews with RGIII, Colin Cowherd, Doug Ferrar and Greg Cosell on their podcast, and Chris Simms. I like his personality. He seems like a really thoughtful guy who has a good perspective on life. I don't think his personality necessarily makes him more or less likely to succeed, but it makes him easy to root for for me. I've made comps to Derek Carr with Nix, but I also think we will be similar to Carr on the podium.

He seemed to get some flack recently for comments he made about southern college fans with some people twisting it that it showed he didn’t care enough about the game. All totally overblown. I agree that he seems smart, measured and well balanced. I think that could bode well for him in the pros. That and his experience which should help him not get too high or too low.

Still my favourite realistic option. I think he could carve out a really solid career.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, reddevil said:

He seemed to get some flack recently for comments he made about southern college fans with some people twisting it that it showed he didn’t care enough about the game. All totally overblown. I agree that he seems smart, measured and well balanced. I think that could bode well for him in the pros. That and his experience which should help him not get too high or too low.

Still my favourite realistic option. I think he could carve out a really solid career.

We honestly need to cease all football operations in the South until we figure out what the hell is going on.

Edited by Rich7sena

2 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

Nix in 2nd wouldn’t be bad. 

2 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

Nix in 2nd wouldn’t be bad. 

I think he and Penix (and McCarthy) all fit in the second/late first area. They have enough questions where you would not want to pass up on a high-level non-QB prospect (or hang your career on their success), but good enough to take a chance on their upside. There's almost no chance 6 QBs go in the first round, let alone top 15. We have seen before that even in strong QB drafts, we're lucky to get 1 or 2 long-term starters. And, NFL teams have shown restraint in the past when picking QBs in the first round (Levis, Willis, Hurts, etc.).

Like most people, I think the Raiders should (and will) stick and pick a non-QB at 13 and see what happens in a trade-up situation later in the first round or early in the second. With so many potential or development starters in this class, I think teams will want to play chicken with each other and pick a QB at the latest possible moment. As such, I would not be surprised to see QBs get pushed down rather than up. I wrote during the college season that it would be more likely to see Nix and Penix go in the 3rd round than in the 1st. I don't quite think that anymore, but we have seen teams be gun-shy with their QB picks in the recent past. It also seems like the 3rd round has become fertile ground for QB picks (see Ridder, Mond, Willis, Trask, Mills, Corrall). Though, I think Rattler, Pratt, and Milton will be the 3rd rounders this year and Nix and Penix will be the late first/second-rounders. We just haven't seen a strong 2nd round QB market in a little while.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

He’s intriguing but if you’re in 2 yr win now window would he be your first choice?

Yes, firstly.... I want a QB for the next 10+ years. I'm making long term decisions regardless. 

Second, I think McCarthy is the 2nd most pro ready QB in this class. Just because he doesn't have the passing volume, doesn't mean he's not ready. He ran a prostyle offense, has the mental makeup and wins from the pocket. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, reddevil said:

Same. While he might not be in those top 6-8 franchise guys. I see him in that 9-12, you can win with him range. 

• Like 1

@MrOaktown_56

Watch the most of the Texas game with Penix. Like how he held up to pressure and evaded in this game against a good front. My concern as was going into that game was UT's soft secondary which he was able to take advantage of. And I think that blinds some people in his evaluation. 

To me, he's a home run ball guy and he has that arm. Love throwing outside the numbers. It's the inconsistencies in accuracy on the shorter and intermediate that I struggle with. I don't see him process quick in those areas. Most his successful plays come sitting in the pocket for a prolonged period of time, and a guy getting open deep where he can deliver. 

I don't see enough quick processing and decisions from him otherwise. He misses so many crossing routes and digs in the middle and intermediate areas. I see little tight window throws. 

Everything came super easy in that offense, with that Oline and those skills. Texas secondary was fluff. Michigan took away what he wanted to do and exposed what I felt was a slow processing QB who relies on his guys winning outside and has no answer otherwise. He's toast when there is tight coverage. 

He's a one trick pony in my view. And he does that one trick as good as any QB in the class. The rest of it will limit him.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Yes, firstly.... I want a QB for the next 10+ years. I'm making long term decisions regardless. 

Second, I think McCarthy is the 2nd most pro ready QB in this class. Just because he doesn't have the passing volume, doesn't mean he's not ready. He ran a prostyle offense, has the mental makeup and wins from the pocket. 

Interesting j j’s age is imo his biggest selling point. long term I agree it’s jj with maye behind him

Imo win now it’s Daniels with pennix 2nd

2 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Interesting j j’s age is imo his biggest selling point. long term I agree it’s jj with maye behind him

Imo win now it’s Daniels with pennix 2nd

Win now, Nix and JJ

Daniels has to show he can play from the pocket and make passes over the middle. Penix needs to show he can process when pressured and make plays over the middle as well. 

IMO, Daniels and Penix are products of their offenses, Olines and absurd WR talent. They are home run hitters with less nuances to their game. Daniels gets a little boost because he can run until he gets hurt.

I'm fully prepared to be wrong on this. I just don't see it with either guy. If I had to guess Daniels is a fantasy darling who otherwise struggles. Penix is a Derek Carr like mid QB who isn't above replacement level. 

4 hours ago, big_palooka said:

@MrOaktown_56

Watch the most of the Texas game with Penix. Like how he held up to pressure and evaded in this game against a good front. My concern as was going into that game was UT's soft secondary which he was able to take advantage of. And I think that blinds some people in his evaluation. 

To me, he's a home run ball guy and he has that arm. Love throwing outside the numbers. It's the inconsistencies in accuracy on the shorter and intermediate that I struggle with. I don't see him process quick in those areas. Most his successful plays come sitting in the pocket for a prolonged period of time, and a guy getting open deep where he can deliver. 

I don't see enough quick processing and decisions from him otherwise. He misses so many crossing routes and digs in the middle and intermediate areas. I see little tight window throws. 

Everything came super easy in that offense, with that Oline and those skills. Texas secondary was fluff. Michigan took away what he wanted to do and exposed what I felt was a slow processing QB who relies on his guys winning outside and has no answer otherwise. He's toast when there is tight coverage. 

He's a one trick pony in my view. And he does that one trick as good as any QB in the class. The rest of it will limit him.

It's actually interesting that you compare to Derek Carr because I see a lot of Carr in Penix's game. I think the biggest differences are:

1. Penix uses his legs better when he wants to (you saw some nice scrambles against Texas)

2. Penix is more athletic (the 40 time isn't an exaggeration, when he wants to he can move).

3. Penix has a better deep ball (which is saying something because Carr had a wonderful deep ball coming out). 

4. Penix evades pressure better. You saw in the Texas game his ability to evade free rushers.

I think we would all agree that if Carr scrambled/improvised better and evaded pressure better, he would have been a top-10 passer for sure. Those limitations are the reason that he sadly never ascended to that "upper echelon" of NFL qb's.

My qb ranking is: 

1a. Maye (the highs are just insane, I'd happily trade 3 1sts + other picks/players to the patriots for him)

1b. Caleb

3. Jayden Daniels (the critiques are valid, but I LOVE his mechanics/throwing motion and I think he can be much more disciplined as a runner at the next level)

4. JJ (his ceiling is very high, he may need time to sit, just a hair below Daniels as a result of that)

5. Penix

6. Nix

I am still a little back and forth on Nix/Penix. Nix is a better improviser and has much less of an injury history. I also think he can be had similarly in the mid 1st to mid 2nd.

I agree that his signature by far is the deep ball rn. I do think that it is a great complement to AP's "style" of team. If you have a team that is physical up front and can run the football with a tough defense, there is no better complement to that than a guy who consistently can hit the home run.

I don't disagree that he was playing with Odunze/Polk on a loaded team. I also don't think he'll have to play as much "hero ball" at the NFL level and I do think he could thrive as a play action/under center qb.

My take is I am not "advocating" for us taking Penix at 13. I would much rather get him late 1st/early 2nd. But I would also not blame the FO for taking Nix/Penix at 13 if they feel like they are a potential top 10/franchise qb because it is the most important position in sports.

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Win now, Nix and JJ

Daniels has to show he can play from the pocket and make passes over the middle. Penix needs to show he can process when pressured and make plays over the middle as well. 

IMO, Daniels and Penix are products of their offenses, Olines and absurd WR talent. They are home run hitters with less nuances to their game. Daniels gets a little boost because he can run until he gets hurt.

I'm fully prepared to be wrong on this. I just don't see it with either guy. If I had to guess Daniels is a fantasy darling who otherwise struggles. Penix is a Derek Carr like mid QB who isn't above replacement level. 

Interesting I’m glad I’m not making the pick it’s a lot on the line lol

• Like 2

14 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

It's actually interesting that you compare to Derek Carr because I see a lot of Carr in Penix's game. I think the biggest differences are:

1. Penix uses his legs better when he wants to (you saw some nice scrambles against Texas)

2. Penix is more athletic (the 40 time isn't an exaggeration, when he wants to he can move).

3. Penix has a better deep ball (which is saying something because Carr had a wonderful deep ball coming out). 

4. Penix evades pressure better. You saw in the Texas game his ability to evade free rushers.

I think we would all agree that if Carr scrambled/improvised better and evaded pressure better, he would have been a top-10 passer for sure. Those limitations are the reason that he sadly never ascended to that "upper echelon" of NFL qb's.

My qb ranking is: 

1a. Maye (the highs are just insane, I'd happily trade 3 1sts + other picks/players to the patriots for him)

1b. Caleb

3. Jayden Daniels (the critiques are valid, but I LOVE his mechanics/throwing motion and I think he can be much more disciplined as a runner at the next level)

4. JJ (his ceiling is very high, he may need time to sit, just a hair below Daniels as a result of that)

5. Penix

6. Nix

I am still a little back and forth on Nix/Penix. Nix is a better improviser and has much less of an injury history. I also think he can be had similarly in the mid 1st to mid 2nd.

I agree that his signature by far is the deep ball rn. I do think that it is a great complement to AP's "style" of team. If you have a team that is physical up front and can run the football with a tough defense, there is no better complement to that than a guy who consistently can hit the home run.

I don't disagree that he was playing with Odunze/Polk on a loaded team. I also don't think he'll have to play as much "hero ball" at the NFL level and I do think he could thrive as a play action/under center qb.

My take is I am not "advocating" for us taking Penix at 13. I would much rather get him late 1st/early 2nd. But I would also not blame the FO for taking Nix/Penix at 13 if they feel like they are a potential top 10/franchise qb because it is the most important position in sports.

Where the comparison ends for me is Carr was an accurate passer over the middle, make layered throws and could throw on the run if needed. Penix doesn't show the same accuracy he has downfield as he does short and intermediate. Forced off his spots, he's not creative at all imo. 

Penix doesn't play hero ball. He would sit in the pocket 3-5 seconds, waits until his WRs broke open deep and deliver. That isn't going to translate. I didn't see him do enough under pressure. What he showed against Texas all fell flat watching Michigan punish him. Texas had a weak secondary so he had outlets, Michigan forced him to process quicker with tight coverage and he showed me he can't anticipate and throw people open. 

My QB rankings:

McCarthy - I've been vocal since Sept, not stopping now.

Maye - completely agree with you on him

Williams - Reluctantly. I don't know that I want him on my team for other reasons

Nix - Been vocal on him as well.  

Daniels - I'll gladly be wrong on this one. But I think he needs to go to a specific team to be relevant and that's not Wash or NE

Penix - 

• Like 1